TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

Hahaha! Check out the gadge at 1.13 who suddenly realises that he's far too old to be in shot.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I remember "No Charge" being played at the start of a school assembly and being used for the basis of the head's yargle bargle that day. In about 1986 or so, I think.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

sw2burro wrote:
        Hahaha! Check out the gadge at 1.13 who suddenly realises that he's far too old to be in shot.
        My all-time TOTP crowd moment is a girl in the early 80s next to John Peel who gets her flag wedged under the elastic of her paper hat and accidentally jams the stick right in her eye. And then almost immediately rallies at the sight of Modern Romance on the other side of the studio.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

dalliance wrote:
          The salient nugget of information I always remember about Noel Edmonds came from John Peel. He was no fan of most of the Radio One DJs but I think he had a special loathing for Edmonds and DLT.

Against his better judgement he went along with the rest of them to a party that Edmonds was hosting. Peel said that whenever he went to someone's house he always wanted to check out their record collection, as you do, but was dumbfounded to learn that Noel Edmonds did not own or even have borrowed from the station a single record in his house.
          This was actually John Walters talking about DLT. It was in The Nation's Favourite, the Simon Garfield book about Radio 1. It went to quote John Peel having a soft spot for Tony Blackburn for giving an impromptu concert at a Radio 1 gathering and acting as if he was going down a storm even while people were obviously glaring at him with hatred.

And Simon Bates was the No.1 hate figure at the time, and the one who was going to be jumped in the car park.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

That would make more sense. Edmonds, although mainstream to the core, was nonetheless a music fan. As for DLT - well, words fail me.

I remember "No Charge" being played at the start of a school assembly and being used for the basis of the head's yargle bargle that day. In about 1986 or so, I think.
            Bloody hell, there's being out-of-touch and then there's being out-of-touch... That record was considered naff when it was at number one, let alone halfway through the androgynous eighties when it would've been more anachronistic than Mary Queen of Scots in a spacesuit. Still, I guess that's headmasters for ya.

Reminds me of a TV boss I once worked with who insisted on using Starship's godawful 'We Built This City' as his company's theme tune - in 2003. I mean, even Grace Slick herself denounced that as "utter horsesh*t".

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

In that fantastic Smashie and Nicey documentary from the early 90s they took the piss out of Tony Blackburn for morosely overplaying Honey by Bobby Goldsboro on his morning show when his wife left him for Richard O'Sullivan.

Did that actually happen?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Wikipedia says 'yes'.

In the 1970s when British radio DJ Tony Blackburn was going through his divorce with his wife Tessa Wyatt, he regularly played "Honey" and would comment live on air about how much he missed his wife

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Tony Blackburn hasn't stopped being a cunt. He was talking about the extravagant weddings on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding on his weekend Radio 2 show recently, and said "I wonder how they can afford all that? Best not to ask, tee-hee."
                  Well it's obvious, Tony. Dodgy drive laying and theft. Cos that's what Gypsies do, isn't it.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I don't remember TB playing Honey, but I caught a couple of his shows where he played sad records for his wife, "someone who will always be very important to me ... " with his voice breaking.

As for the last SotS .. that remark isn't great, but it isn't the most offensive, surely? The gypsy community do operate largely in the grey economy and have mysterious revenue streams, and that's not a terrible slur, as they probably underclaim in benefits etc. He hasn't said it's from thieving.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I have had a mobile phone stolen from my lorry, and lead from my bay window, by Gypsies. When things like that happen to you, it's human nature for anyone to form an opinion about such people. Just saying, like.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Did you see them do it?

Did they have a Gypsy uniform on?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Wasn't it Tony Blackburn who used that barking dog fx incessantly, only desisting after several pleas to "calm down, boy?"

Oh dear. After Googling, it appears that Blackburn already had form in the tearful breakup stakes...

It was in the 80s when Blackburn moved from the BBC to commercial radio that Arnold disappeared.

"My and Arnold’s jaws dropped when they told me they didn't want Arnold," he says. "Arnold took off, leaving me in heaps of tears and I haven't seen him since."
                          The Radio 1 DJ's really were quite tragic figures, weren't they.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Escape from Alcaraz wrote:

You want Jimmy Savile in a vest five years before he ran his first London Marathon? TOTP provides. Not as gruesome a sight as it should be either.

Heavy Metal Kids with Wayne out of Auf Wiedersehen Pet as lead singer was quite a kick-ass way to start the show. Great show, all in all. It speaks volumes for the rest that Savile is a less contemptible presenter.
                            Thanks to Expat Shield I can now watch the BBC i player, and this edition of TOTP was my first port of call.

Jimmy Saville was a bit cringeworthy, but I too liked that song by Heavy Metal Kids. I had to overcome my initial prejudice at seeing a front man dressed in tight peach coloured jeans, with fur draped around his neck and carrying an umbrella.

The Wurzels were a joke which quickly wore thin, I think.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

They were a work of some genius compared to Laurie Lingo and the Dipsticks.

Actually that reminds me, Tony Blackburn was a great fan of and promoter of the cause of CB radio enthusiasts on his shows too. Nice when DJs make a stand on the important issues of the day.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Enfield and Whitehouse later apologized to Blackburn for sending up his on-air breakdown.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The Wurzels were a joke which quickly wore thin, I think.
                                  In terms of hits perhaps, but they'd been going for ten years before 'Combine Harvester' went to number one. (And continued for what felt like decades thereafter...)

Re Laurie Lingo & The Dipsticks: it used to bug the hell out of me the way Radio One DJs used the station to promote their own crappy records. Mike Read was especially guilty of this with his Ghosts and Trainspotters records, and Steve Wright was another who played his own single rather more often than was necessary (ie, 'at all').

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The Frankie Valli ballad was forgettable under any circumstances. Valli lost much of his hearing during the 70's because of otosclerosis so we'll forgive him.
                                    I only recently discovered 'The Night' by Frankie Valli on some random Northern Soul compilation. Very good.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

So this week we had the distinctly odd Scousers Our Kid. Four boys aged between 12 and 15 with haircuts of 30 year olds, shirt and suit combos of 40 year olds and wedding dancing choreography of 70 year olds. Their career went nowhere, none of them even grew up to be in Brookside at any point.

There was cunning subterfuge going on with Thin Lizzy too. It dawned on me that although the performance of The Boys Are Back In Town was on stage, it wasn't actually a stage in the studio. But the producers cunningly but badly tried to mask this by showing cutaway shots of loads of people dancing in the studio to it - it must have just been played to them via speakers.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

When is this going out? I put a series link on it but it hasn't recorded the last few episodes.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

It seems a bit patchy. I have it on series record too and expect it late on a Thursday night but it picked one up on BBC4 this evening.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I got Sky At Night instead. Which wasn't a bad swap...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

More recognisable stars on that, I'd wager.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Sunshine Saturday by New Edition beggars belief. Awful song, toe-curling studio performance, occasional footage of the band living it up at the coconut shy and some obscenely tight trousers on one of the male vocals. Spectacularly shite stuff.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Sunshine Saturday mainly seemed to be a plug for a Seaside Special type programme in what would later become the Noel Edmonds slot on, erm, Saturdays. There appeared to be a smattering of paying customers in the funfair, resolutely ignoring New Edition.

Just to bring home how long ago this was, Bobby Purify - who has been lurking in the mid teen positions with brother James for a few weeks now - is currently plying his trade in the Blind Boys of Alabama.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Watching that reminded me how much British television light entertainment has changed since the 70s, while German television is still exactly the same.

Tune in every Saturday night here and there'll be various species of Seaside Special on, where a lot of the acts look like, or possibly might even be the Glitter Band. People like Smokie and Roger Whittaker have been making a living out of that circuit for years.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X