TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

To address a (much earlier) point, OGWT repeats will be on Vintage TV in June. Don't have anything more concrete than that I'm afraid.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Intriguing that the countdown was at the beginning, I must admit. And the general lack of any wit on the part of the DJs I've seen thus far make Noel Edmonds look irreverent.

And I want Brotherhood of Man dead. Never mind kisses, I find myself saving all my bullets for them.

Apologies for those amongst you who are fans of this fearsome foursome.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I think they said in one of the accompanying programmes that they got so heartily sick of BOM being number one that towards the end of their run they didn't put them on, the first time a number one had not been featured in the history of the show.

Watching these TOTPs I have become quite fascinated with the BOM lead singer who is a million miles away from conforming to the typical fey and frothy physical template of a Eurovision entrant. He looks a real 70s geezer, the sort who should be playing a bent copper on The Sweeney desperate to fit up Jack Regan rather than doing prototype line dancing with his thumbs hooked into the belt loops of his flares.

'Though it hurts to go away,
        And I will hurt you you slag. I will cut you up'

Brotherhood of Man Top One

1. Angelo.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

dalliance wrote:

Brotherhood of Man Top One
          Top one - top them all, says I. Or at least change their fuckin' dance routine.

Anyways, ELO were on this week with a somewhat forgettable rendition of Nightrider (not Hoff related alas) and Jeff Lynne wore no shades. I guess there must have been complaints afterwards.

The multi-talented Paul Nicholas was back on, doing his thing live. Not sure what the bowler hat has to do with reggae mind, maybe this was a precursor to Ska. Blackburn at least remembered his name, unlike Edmonds a couple of weeks back.

And Slik were just Bay City Rollers without the tartan.

Good show, though, in spite of BLT's unwarranted appearance.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

dalliance wrote:
            He looks a real 70s geezer, the sort who should be playing a bent copper on The Sweeney desperate to fit up Jack Regan …
            I'm not sure. I think he looks like your dad's younger brother, who would turn up at your house with a Party Seven and twenty No. 6.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

There were a few things on last night I had never heard, one of those thankfully was that Paul Nicholas abomination. At least we can see where Vampire Weekend got their inspiration. Having that and the DLT song on one show was an all time low. I mean I knew Convoy was a rubbish song but actually seeing it played out in front of you made you realise just how truly terrible it was. Have you ever seen three less enthusiastic backing singers than the poor cows roped in to doing that shocker.

I was not all that familiar with the ELO song and I had never heard that Slik song either, actually the only Slik song I think I know is their big one Forever and Ever which is excellent. The one last night was a bit of an uneasy mix of styles, they hadn't really found their feet at that stage it seems.

Best song last night for me was the pretty estimable Let Your Love Flow by the Bellamy Brothers.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Even Tony Blackburn noticed that Paul Nicholas' "Reggae How It Used To Be" didn't have much to do with reggae.

DLT's parody was literally the worst thing I've ever seen.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Here's Paul Nicholas:

DLT's effort is here, after exactly 5 minutes:

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Coming back to the wrong profession lead singer of the Brotherhood Of Man, he always reminded me of someone violent from the 1970s as I mentioned above and it has come back to me exactly who.

He could double for PH Moriaty, the actor who played Razors in The Long Good Friday.

"Save all your kisses for me"

"the human spiograph"

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

You reckon the BOTM guy would sort out Errol The Ponce from Brixton?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                        Even Tony Blackburn noticed that Paul Nicholas' "Reggae How It Used To Be" didn't have much to do with reggae.

Maybe its me, but that Paul Nicholas song sounded a bit like this;

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

He would hang him upside down in a refrigerated meat warehouse alongside Showaddywaddy who had been disrespecting his dancing to Jennie Hanley on Magpie.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Simon wrote:
                            Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Maybe its me, but that Paul Nicholas song sounded a bit like this;

You have got to be taking the piss......

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Yeah, buts its a really shitty version.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

It's David Cameron's real father, surely.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Dalliance wrote:

He would hang him upside down in a refrigerated meat warehouse alongside Showaddywaddy who had been disrespecting his dancing to Jennie Hanley on Magpie
                                  Nah, he was all talk and beltloops, BoM guy. Lennie Peters used to have his sort for breakfast.

Ever wondered why the Wombles had to play in disguise? Ask Lennie Peters.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

"Best song last night for me was the pretty estimable Let Your Love Flow by the Bellamy Brothers."

What about Love Hangover by Diana Ross? I'd forgotten how great that song was.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Back on last night with Edmonds. Not sure why it wasn't on last week, Footie must have been on.

Mud do disco. Not wholly unpleasant. Les Gray must go down as being the most average looking lead singer ever.

Another soppy piano man in Manilow, as if Carmen wasn't bad enough. I've a suspicion his stool is a bit high. Stools come to mind in general, as it happens.

Maybe it's just me, but if it wasn't for Cliff, Devil Woman would be a fine song. He's dressed like an effeminate gun slinger.

But a week without BOM can only be considered a blessing all round. Edmonds looked the part, shame he didn't sound it. How he got to present Deal or No Deal I'll never know.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Devil Woman IS a fine song... I am really not a Cliff fan, but he nailed that (and 'Wired For Sound' is excellent too)

Noel Edmonds is a cock. HOWEVER, he grew into cockdom, after a good run at Swap Shop (and his mid-late 70's radio shows were ok too, although I was young and had no taste, a bit like my liking of the two *Dash songs, which if I thought about it, is a roundabout argument, and I know there is a word for that, but I cant remember)

*Dash was Mr Richard's nickname... please dont ask out loud. However, for a lewd PM, please do ask, and you wont get a reply. I am sworn to secrecy. Honest. No, really, I cant say. And no, it doesnt involve stitching.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The first Swap Shop was broadcast on 2nd October 1976 so I would guess that Noel's Swap Shop persona should eventually become evident in these 1976 TOTP's.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

It was forgettable in the grand scheme of things but Mud's take on disco wasn't too shabby.

The Frankie Valli ballad was forgettable under any circumstances. Valli lost much of his hearing during the 70's because of otosclerosis so we'll forgive him.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

No surprise that Edmonds likes the Manilow and Robin Sarstedt songs. Dreadful stuff from Tina Charles here as well.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

How on earth did No Charge get to No.1? Who bought it?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

My bloody mother bought it. Surely I was not the only child who was lectured to by their mothers about what selfish, ungrateful little bastards they were based around the lyrics of this dreadful song?

It's a curious record that Silver Star one. I think the chorus is great but the rest of the song is pretty poor. He sings in a really weird key too. I was reading the obituary for Flick Colby and this was the last ever song that she choreographed Pan's People for before they became a different group.

I did not know that Tina Charles song and I did not know that tubby woman with the awful dancing who was claiming to be her. I kinda enjoyed some of her songs at the time like I Love To Love and I sort of recall having a little bit of a young boy crush on her. Christ knows how, these days I would climb over her in bed (with sherpa support) to get to Nana Miskouri.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The salient nugget of information I always remember about Noel Edmonds came from John Peel. He was no fan of most of the Radio One DJs but I think he had a special loathing for Edmonds and DLT.

Against his better judgement he went along with the rest of them to a party that Edmonds was hosting. Peel said that whenever he went to someone's house he always wanted to check out their record collection, as you do, but was dumbfounded to learn that Noel Edmonds did not own or even have borrowed from the station a single record in his house.

Danny Baker mentioned this same fact in passing about Chris Evans.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X