TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

Yeah, who knows how these things work, eh? Even as a kid I thought Kiki was going to be massive: her first hit 'Amoureuse' (1973) is, in particular, a mighty fine tune. (No doubt some eejit will now come on here and say it was sh*te or something.) First white female to be signed by Motown, of course.

And, yep, have to admit that 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' has aged pretty well...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I recorded a BBC radio show of Kiki Dee live way back (1974ish?) and it was one of the best performances I've ever heard. In fact, I may still have that cassette lying around somewhere if I didn't wear it out.

Amoureuse was indeed a fantastic song.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jah Womble wrote:
        Yeah, who knows how these things work, eh? Even as a kid I thought Kiki was going to be massive: her first hit 'Amoureuse' (1973) is, in particular, a mighty fine tune. (No doubt some eejit will now come on here and say it was sh*te or something.) First white female to be signed by Motown, of course.
        Debbie Dean was signed to Motown in 1960. And Chris Clark in 1966.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

It seems Kiki Dee's 1981 comeback single 'Star' was written by Doreen Chanter of the Chanter Sisters. A spirited rearguard action by the class of '76 as TOTP entered its new golden age.

'Star' is one of those songs whose chorus is indelibly etched into my mind while I wouldn't recognise the verses if you hit me over the head with them. Forgive the surfeit of cranial imagery, btw - bumped into a lamp post on the way home last night.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

G.Man - my bad, I meant 'first British female'. (You'll probably tell me that's wrong, too...)

'Star' was by far the worst thing Kiki ever did, IMO. It sounded anachronistic even in 1981 - as did the follow-up 'Midnight Flyer'. (I mean, who called a song that in the eighties?)

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jah Womble wrote:
              'Star' was by far the worst thing Kiki ever did, IMO. It sounded anachronistic even in 1981 - as did the follow-up 'Midnight Flyer'. (I mean, who called a song that in the eighties?)
              That's the problem with absorbing great chunks of TOTP at an impressionable age though - for every 'Look Of Love' your memory gets burdened with some piece of crap like 'Break My Stride'.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jimmy Saville really looks like a kilted but specless Woody Allen on this one.
                Cockney Rebel even manage to look awkward in their video.
                I say 'video' but they were filmed freezing their bollocks off in a castle somewhere.
                Billy Ocean's sleeveless babygro is quite impressive though.
                It's a shocker of a programme really, isn't it?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jah Womble wrote:
                  The original Véronique Sanson version, from a year earlier, isn't bad either (if you are not totally distracted by her very distinctive vibrato):

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

There will have been people who thought that Slik track was what these new-fangled punks were all about.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I don't think I could ever get sick of watching Elton John mugging away in that video.

"...woo-hoo...don't go breakin' my har...I won't go breakin' your har..."

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

half century wrote:
                        The original Véronique Sanson version, from a year earlier, isn't bad either (if you are not totally distracted by her very distinctive vibrato)
                        Had to read that a couple of times.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

TOTP 76 is a delight. A small, fascinating insight on how we used to be, the types of pops songs we listened to, how we used to dance and dress. Anyone who cant find some little diamonds in these programmes is way too cynical.

I was never a great lover of Don't Go Breaking My Heart until this run of programmes either tbh, Its a crafted, charming, great pop record.

The David Dundas song is sweet, originally used on an advert for Brutus jeans (before my time).

Billie jo Spears has a voice to die for on What I've Got in Mind. I've just downloaded her greatest hits and I'm listening to her version of I Will survive as I write, Its really shit!, I'm deleting most tracks as I listen.

Steve Harley etc offer their [strike]crap[/strike] unique take on Here Comes the Sun.

Ruby Flipper catching the mood of the day this week with their KC & The Sunshine Band piece, best thing they have done yet, good as in good rather than so bad it's good. Sexy.

Nice to see all those young ladies (and a few lads) gazing up at Billy Oceans bulging yellow package.. innocent times..

Of course, Dorothy Moore with the great Misty Blue again, and there's Twiggy with that shoddy bumpop number, but it's Twiggy! 1976! glam or what? Who could ask for more in this post-ironic world?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

David Dundas, now Lord Zetland, also responsible for original Channel 4, and TVAM themes. And soundtrack from Withnail & I. Family mainly associated with owning most of Teesside, hence lots of Zetland pubs and a "Dundas Arcade" shopping centre in Middlesbrough.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

He's one of those Dundasses/Zetlands? Or in fact, even the Zetland? I for one am fascinated to hear that.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Wow. The BBC props dept. really pushed the boat out putting that lamppost up for the lead singer of Slik to lean on and click his fingers.
                                That KC and the Sunshine band tune is a classic, and as ajaxx says, one of Ruby Flippers best outings too.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

WARNING! WARNING!
                                  Dancing Queen has entered the charts. The fucking thing annoys me beyond all belief. It's not that it's a crap song, it's just the overplaying of it to the point where you want to force sharpened pencils into your ears that ruins it. Any way, it's got a fifteen week run in the charts, including six weeks at #1, so best get fucking used to it.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Back to this episode, Bryan Ferry's awesome version of the Everly's The Price Of Love, absolutely dumping all over Steve Harley's Fucking shitty version of Here Comes The Sun, which seems to have had a hugely disproportionate amount of plays on this show. That's how you do a fucking cover version, you slaaag.
                                    Another bete noir of mine, Let 'Em In, being literally interpreted by Booby Flicker with prop doors being opened and walked through.
                                    A miserable looking Twiggy singing a miserable sounding faux Country and Western tune, Here I Go Again. Well fuck off then.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Oh, and they played out with the Stylistics. One minute of the Stylistics is never enough, not ever.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The Price of Love was indeed the highlight in a show that seems to have been a repeat of last week’s offering (I suspect they missed a week, again). TPoL was also re-released back in 88 or thereabouts to coincide with the release of one of Ferry’s many compilations although the video, if memory serves, was unsurprisingly different to the Jerry Hall-led tottie-fest shown on TOTP.

Intriguing to see Dancing Queen enter the charts at such a modest number, not an unusual occurrence back in the 70s in fairness, and David Dundas was so dull that even though he turned up at TOTP, Ruby Flipper were still needed to add some visual stimulation, proving that you can’t wake up the dead.

As for Twiggy, it was a case of bad song, worse singer. Stick to what you know, whatever that may be.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Part of the patrimony of David Dundas, yesteryear.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I show my blue-blood genes off ..

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

MsD wrote:
                                              I show my blue-blood genes off ..

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Great year for disco music 1976.

Dr Kiss Kiss woman still looking like Mick Fleetwood in drag. Her sartorial elegance cant be disrespected though.
                                                Apart from her whole head, she looks quite contemporary. Her kaftan blouse thing was fabulous.

Nice to see and hear ABBA's Dancing Queen, perfect pop.
                                                That VT has intrigued me for years, I've always thought that Frida's & Agnetha's dancing was fairly sexy, and when you look closer it looks like they are playing at a primary school disco.

Saucy.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Every time Dancing Queen is played at a wedding/christening/bar mitzvah, and danced to by anyone over 50, a crippled orphan's crutches are injected with dry rot.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Robin Sarstedt, Can, (Pensford's finest) Acker Bilk, Chi-Lites, James & Bobby Purify, Cliff Richard, Gallagher & Lyle.

Can?

I never thought I would see Holger Czukay on TOTP.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X