X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And why wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
      Robert Smith is just shy of 6ft. Or 7ft10 if you include his hair.
      Don't be silly. I don't care how tall he is, but if he's "just shy" of six foot, then the tape measure must be so bashful that it could be one of the Seven Dwarves.

Comment

Tony Hadley. If we're now just listing tall eighties pop-personages.

Comment

Green Gartside's a big lad.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
            Green Gartside's a big lad.
            I can confirm, after he signed my copy of Cupid & Psyche '85 after the Bury Met show last month, with Alexis Taylor and Rhodri Marsden.

Comment

Jesus I'd forgotten why I fell out of love with chart music at such a young age,now I remember,Glen Frey,Reo Speedwagon,Pat Benatar and Collins and Bailey,the charts got very AOR very quickly

Comment

I won't hear a word against Ms Benatar.

Comment

Wow. Never met a Pat Benatar 'fan' before...not even in the '80s when she was ubiquitous.

Comment

I'm strangely attracted to women with large incisors.

She also had a great voice. One of the rare vocalists with operatic training who made the jump to pop successfully.

Comment

Love is a Battlefield is a fantastic tune

Comment

Yes. Most of her hit singles had something about them. But they're very much of their time and place so tend not to have worn well LiaB is one that has, as is We Belong, and Sex as a Weapon. It's too bad she stuck firmly to the mainstream (she had thirteen top 40 singles here in the 80s), it would have been interesting to hear what else she could have done with that voice.

Comment

She's a bit odd in that she was everywhere and then suddenly nowhere. I never rated her as a heavyweight of any kind - just an average pop singer. Sort of the solo equivalent of The Pretenders; okay, but nobody I took too seriously. We Live for Love is probably my favourite song of hers. We Belong is lovely. Hit Me With...can fuck off where Brown Eyed Girl and We Built This City fuck off to, if they ever do.

Comment

IIRC I think she quit to raise her two daughters. She was very pregnant when We Belong was in the charts, though the video cunningly disguises the fact.

Comment

Another Pat Benatar fan here. I could listen to We Belong all day.

Comment

Love is a Battlefield is one of my favourite tracks from the 80s.
                                I don't think she was as prolific in the UK. I remember that, We Belong and Hit Me With Your Best Shot. No others though.

Comment

Never saw the appeal of Ms Benatar - she was 'part of the problem' to my post-punk ears. That she never really gained much traction in the UK didn't especially surprise me, either. Packaged stridency. (Heartbreaker - that was passable, perhaps.)

One quick glance at that latest TOTP line-up was sufficient for me to flip. There was an edition recently that featured Killing Joke, The Smiths and Loose Ends. That brought back a few memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

One quick glance at that latest TOTP line-up was sufficient for me to flip.
                                    Was that also because it was broadcast the night after Tottenham Spursed it in the "title decider" at home to Everton?

Anyway, Glenn Frey couldn't have looked any less bothered if he'd tried, and now it's the diabolical Move Closer.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                      Was that also because it was broadcast the night after Tottenham Spursed it in the "title decider" at home to Everton?
                                      I was speaking in the 'now' - I can't recall whether I'd have watched it at the time. Probably not, though - I was behind on a college project. There was also beer to drink, drugs to take and a testy girlfriend to manage. TOTP wouldn't have been an essential at the time.

As for Hoddle, Falco et al - that game was annoying, indeed, but Spurs had plenty of opportunities to put things right afterward. For whatever reason, however, we started losing all our home matches - Villa, Arse, Ipswich, a bizarre 1-5 reversal to Watford - and were toast by the middle of April. (This also affected the ol' GD to the extent that Liverpool snuck in ahead of us as runners-up...)

Comment

Further proof that Live Aid was not the event that divided a decent chart era from a shit one? The rot was there in the first half of 1985, at the latest?

Comment

I certainly lost interest in the charts pre-live aid until about '89, when dance music and Madchester started happening.

As for Pat Benatar, I always put her in the same catergory as Laura Branigan, Rick Springfield, (Born In The USA-era) Springsteen and Bryan Adams. I blame Jonathan King for this.

Comment

Indeed. King can be blamed for many music-related atrocities - and the preponderance of leg-warmers in eighties pop is certainly among them.

However, that expression probably means something else in his parlance.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post
                                              As for Pat Benatar, I always put her in the same catergory as Laura Branigan, Rick Springfield, (Born In The USA-era) Springsteen and Bryan Adams. I blame Jonathan King for this.
                                              Ha, I actually bought Love Is A Battlefield and Rick Springfield's Human Touch on the same day. The experiment wasn't a great success, in that I never bought anything else by either of them, but of the two LIAB has weathered better.

Self Control by Laura Branigan is great if you're in the right mood, which is the mood for full on Italian disco with lots of Woah-oh-ing.

Comment

John Cougar Mellenkamp was also in this field IIRC.

Comment

Sure, JCM had twenty-two top twenty hits over here. Not sure about the UK but many fewer I'm guessing. Musically the eighties, in the UK and US were almost mirror opposites. What was popular in one place was not in the other. It's why, a few years back, Blondie was the opening act for Pat Benatar. Blondie, in comparison, was only moderately well known.
                                                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 11-02-2018, 17:13.

Comment

J C Mellencamp only charted with Jack and Diane here in the UK - and only #25 at that. Similarly, Rick Springfield only made the British Top 40 with Human Touch (#23). I think that their acts were considered a bit 'retro' by the shiny UK pop brigade.

Folk over here just weren't having it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X