No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certainly lives more fondly in the memory than in revisiting, but having tested that here, it isn't any great claim.

The only bit I could remember until ten minutes ago was Steve McGarrett, but that may just be because he was the only one whose programme we watched as a family.

I'm a young, young man of 47, by the way.

Comment

Sam McCloud was the driving force behind King Of The Cops. Any cunt who says otherwise, I'll fight him in the front garden I don't have, 47 years old or not 47 years old.

Comment

I could sing King Of The Cops now, word-perfect, 40+ years after the event. I am a sad, sad man.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          Sam McCloud was the driving force behind King Of The Cops.
          Sam McCloud was only in it because, at the last minute before the song was recorded, Martin Lee* told Billy Howard that his Angie Dickinson impersonation wasn't up to snuff.

* - As Billy told the story, Lee had wandered in because he thought he could, 'smell Old Bill round here'. After he had been persuaded to put down his shooter, the Brotherhood Of Man capo asked whether he might hear what Billy was working on.

Comment

Intriguing, certainly - but one of the single strangest posts I've ever read on OTF.

I could sing King Of The Cops now, word-perfect, 40+ years after the event. I am a sad, sad man.
            My friend Bill can, as well. He's quite old. Aptly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              Intriguing, certainly - but one of the single strangest posts I've ever read on OTF
              What, you've never got wind of Benjm's 'relationship' with Martin Lee? One of the best things ever, in my humble opinion, on OTF. Apart from the thing with Fish/Michael Fish, but still.

Comment

IIRC, it was a toss up between Martin Lee and Dave Ball as to who might be the break out character from the original 'Handiest Looking Men In Pop' discussion, but Dave Ball had been in JW's pub quiz team which placed him too close to known reality.

Edit: anyway, don't blame me; it was treibeis who initially widened the '70s light criminal underground out to include Clodagh Rodgers and Mary Hopkin.
                Last edited by Benjm; 21-01-2018, 19:59.

Comment

Not quite sure how, but that alternate pop universe had somehow passed me by. (But then, a lot of things have been lately...)

Yes, Dave 'doop-doop' Ball was indeed on our music quiz team, but that was some while ago now. If you wanted to re-introduce him into anything, like.

A mutual friend tells me he's not been that well lately, I'm sorry to say.

Comment

Not quite sure how, but that alternate pop universe had somehow passed me by.
                    Spoken like a man who just hasn't got enough time on his hands.

I hope Dave Ball is alright; he's one of the greats and still rather underappreciated, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                      anyway, don't blame me; it was treibeis who initially widened the '70s light criminal underground out to include Clodagh Rodgers and Mary Hopkin.
                      Sandie Shaw, you fucking ice cream, not Clodagh Rodgers.

Although, thinking about it, Crystal Gayle could have had both of them with one hand tied behind her back. She was, and is, fucking rock.

Comment

Well, yeah. The reason Kelly Marie had to go everywhere with two bodyguards was a difference of opinions with Crystal Gayle.

Comment

Spoken like a man who just hasn't got enough time on his hands.

I hope Dave Ball is alright; he's one of the greats and still rather underappreciated, I reckon.
                          (Despite 11,000 posts on OTF...) The last I heard about DB didn't sound great but that was a while back, so I'd not want to speak out of turn.

Sandie Shaw, you fucking ice cream, not Clodagh Rodgers.
                          "Come back and shake me. If you think you're 'ard enough, like."

Comment

Well, yeah. The reason Kelly Marie had to go everywhere with two bodyguards was a difference of opinions with Crystal Gayle.
                            As far as I know, Crystal Gayle has only come off second-best once in a fist fight, in a pub in South Bristol in 1973.

She was sitting there alone, nursing a half of lager and lime, when she noticed that, at the next table, Lynn Anderson's coat had fallen off the back of her chair.

Crystal went over to the table and said, "I beg your pardon, but..."

She didn't get to finish her sentence. Lynn Anderson, who'd been giving the port and lemons a hammering all afternoon, stood up, shouted, "Another fucking piss-taker for A&E, then!", smacked Crystal with a glass ashtray and then kicked the shit out of her.

If Lena Zavaroni hadn't been at hand to break it up and calm everybody down, she'd more than likely have killed her.
                            Last edited by treibeis; 22-01-2018, 16:45.

Comment

In 1973? The late, lamented Ms Zavaroni would've been about nine years old.

Then again, she was from Renfrewshire.

Comment

In 1973? The late, lamented Ms Zavaroni would've been about nine years old.

Then again, she was from Renfrewshire.
                                She'd just come in from the car park to ask her dad for some more pop and crisps. So I was told, anyway.

Comment

Zavaroni was in a gang with Bonnie Langford and Susan Tully

Comment

How small is Bryan Adams? if those Wayfarers are standard sized he must be in the Prince/Kylie bracket.

Comment

Bloody hell, I remember when Gary Byrd stood in for Steve Wright. He was really good, even seemed to like music and people, against the prevailing R1 trend back then. It was a blow when Wright came back, rather than staying away forever.

Comment

How small is Bryan Adams? if those Wayfarers are standard sized he must be in the Prince/Kylie bracket.
                                        5' 9" according to the stats. Too small to play hockey so, sadly, he turned to music.

Comment

The worldwide online consensus seems to be 5'8". The Canadian deep state must be intercepting any Bryan related queries and adding that crucial extra inch for domestic consumption.

Comment

The worldwide online consensus seems to be 5'8". The Canadian deep state must be intercepting any Bryan related queries and adding that crucial extra inch for domestic consumption.
                                            Isn't 5'8" quite tall for a frontman? Of all the "famous" groups I've seen, only Joey Ramone and Billy Corgan were considerably bigger.

(Before The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With receives a parcel containing a platform shoe with a canary smeared underfoot and a note reading "To your old man: That's what can happen when you sing out of turn": I've never seen The Brotherhood Of Man.)

Comment

Good point. Phil Oakey and Boy George are both quite tall, I think. Which was bad news for Marc Almond, as sexually threatened bashers tended to make a bee line for him rather than the big lads.

In particular, most people from Manchester in bands are tiny.

Comment

Walked behind Bob Geldof up Grafton st once and he's huge, as is Glen Gregory

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  ...as is Glen Gregory
                                                  Martin Fry is tall too, as well as being from Greater Manchester, slightly undermining my previous generalisation.

Comment

Robert Smith is just shy of 6ft. Or 7ft10 if you include his hair.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X