No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed - I was referring to the fact that Gangster O seemed to be treating your post as though it were a guess to his favoured video.

Comment

Unusually prescient of Bates to identify I Want To Know What Love Is as a future number one.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
        Agree with Peel on Louise, not least because its my only known example of narrowboating in popular music video.
        Fairly sure Phil Oakley was sailing his narrow boat up the River Lea, through Hackney Wick, Hackney Marshes and up towards the Lea Valley Ice Centre, thereby predating the current East London fashion for houseboat living on the River Lea by a good 3 decades. Brilliant song and video.

Comment

Agree with Peel on Louise, not least because its my only known example of narrowboating in popular music video
          There was this one
          Last edited by Mumpo; 20-11-2017, 14:43.

Comment

Quite amusing to see that Spandau Ballet have declined to the extent that they've been relegated to the lesser Christmas show.

Also unsure why they're showing My Oh My, given that it was over a year old by this stage.

Comment

Despite the Black Country-tastic twin assault of Sir Lenworth and Slade, I think I'll be turning to Would I Lie To You in five minutes.

Oh hang on, here's Bronski Beat.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                Fairly sure Phil Oakley was sailing his narrow boat up the River Lea, through Hackney Wick, Hackney Marshes and up towards the Lea Valley Ice Centre, thereby predating the current East London fashion for houseboat living on the River Lea by a good 3 decades. Brilliant song and video.
                Kevin Rowland was looking to buy a flat right by that very stretch of water last year, I wonder if he completed.

Comment

Quite amusing to see that Spandau Ballet have declined to the extent that they've been relegated to the lesser Christmas show.

Also unsure why they're showing My Oh My, given that it was over a year old by this stage.
                  Same thing happened back in 1973, when Little Jimmy Osmond's Xmas No. 1 from 12 months earlier was included (see Chart Music podcast). There seemed to be a rule that if something clung on into January then it became a hit belonging to both years. In today's streaming era, where tracks hang around for 2-3 years, the concept of 'annual chart' loses its meaning.

Comment

Long Haired Lover actually sold more copies in 1973 than the previous, but featured in the year-end listings for both years.

But pretty much every year is going to include a song that has cusped the years at number one, or thereabouts. (Queen obviously featured in both 1975 and 1976 with Bohemian Rhapsody, etc.) Not sure of their sources, but - if one ignores the annoying apostrophes - this website seems a pretty useful resource:

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1973.shtml

Comment

Russ Abbott!!! Fuck me, I'd forgotten about that bloody thing then 33 years later it comes back, that's what you get for watching nostalgia programmes

Comment

Fuck sake I had a Russ Abbott album on tape when I was about 7 (pre-Atmosphere Russ anyway). Seem to remember finding parodies of songs I was barely aware of (“(I wish they all could be) Upper Norwood Girls”, whatever he did to Ghost Riders in the Sky) just hilarious. Even had some cheapo Fleetway or whatever Russ Abbott annual with comic strips based on his greatest creations. Fuck sake, what a wally.

Comment

Russ, or you for owning it

Comment

Me, but Russ as well obviously.

Comment

This opening number from The Limit (whoever they were) is laying down a marker for the direction of music during the mid-late 80s.

Comment

Fucking hell, Powell. "One of the bands succeeding in 85 are Prince"

Comment

This opening number from The Limit (whoever they were) is laying down a marker for the direction of music during the mid-late 80s.
                                  I hope that's not dismissive of Nu Shooz and Double (Dooblay), longeared.

Comment

I've never worn latex, but the singer in The Limit made it look quite an appealing material. Doubt I could pull it off with my frame, however.

Amii Stewart's dancing was mental, it screamed "I'm a trained dancer!" But just looked so absurd.

And I can't imagine Grandmaster Melle Mel and his crew running tings on road these days in that get up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Well, he (Frank Kelly) had a #26 UK (and Top Ten Ireland) hit with Christmas Alphabet at the end of 1983, so very likely it was that?
                                      I'm usually quite a tolerant sort of bloke, but your slapdash attitude to novelty records is, if you'll excuse the sort-of pun, beyond a joke. First there was Scrumpy 'n' Westerngate, then there was the thing with the lyrics to "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." and now this.

Or did Frank Kelly have two Christmas hits - one called "Christmas Alphabet" and one called "Christmas Countdown"?
                                      Last edited by treibeis; 20-01-2018, 07:52.

Comment

Oops, guilty as charged re Father Jack's effort - Christmas Alphabet was an old Dickie Valentine hit, about which I'd recently been writing. (You'll have to trust me on that one.)

Similarly guilty over the S'n'W scene - but I have no recollection of this 'DIVORCE' foul-up of which you speak.

Go easy, eh? I've not had the best start to the year.

Comment

The D.I.V.O.R.C.E. thing (Billy Connolly's version) was your not knowing what the bleeped-out lyrics were.

Genuinely sorry to hear about your shitty start to the year. It won't stop me coming down on you like a ton of bricks if, in future, you, say, get the order in which the police officers sing in "King Of The Cops" wrong, but you still have my sympathy.

Comment

Why would you even mention King Of The Cops knowing that everyone except you had mercifully forgotten it? You're a monster and I hope that a horde of Helmut Kohl proportioned Bavarians come and stand on your holes.

Hope the year picks up for you, JW.

And I can't imagine Grandmaster Melle Mel and his crew running tings on road these days in that get up.
                                            While Run DMC's adopting a more, ahem, stripped back look may have been a big factor in getting people to take the nascent hip hop scene seriously, it can't be denied that the electro pioneers had a certain dash.

Comment

Ha - thanks, I'd expect nothing less!

Viz DIVORCE, I recall that now - I'd genuinely had no idea what was behind those beeps until that thread.

Cheers, Benjm.

Comment

"Don't call me Fatty, I'm an expert in Karate."

Genuinely great line, IMHO.

Run DMC seem to have persuaded Dave Hill to join them in disguise (see the man on the left)

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                  Why would you even mention King Of The Cops knowing that everyone except you had mercifully forgotten it? You're a monster and I hope that a horde of Helmut Kohl proportioned Bavarians come and stand on your holes.
                                                  At the moment, I'd have a Macedonia handball team stand on my holes.
                                                  I'd love anybody, even Frank Kelly singing "Christmas Alphabet", to stand on my holes.

On the other hand, you're about my age (50), aren't you? You loved, you fucking LOVED "King Of The Cops", didn't you?
                                                  Last edited by treibeis; 20-01-2018, 18:45.

Comment

A group of us sang KING OF THE COPS at the youth club christmas party back when it came out, I was Steve Mc Garret and Stavros (one line, ok lieutenant ) we thought we were brilliant, as you do when you're 10

Comment

Working...
                                                    X