No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peel seemed to lose spirit after Kid left. I don't think he had much rapport with Janice Long, either on Radio 1 or TOTP. But then Andy Kershaw came on board around 1985 and cheered him up radio-wise. However, that was also the year of Heysel, which hit him hard.

Peel's last big moment with Kid on the radio IIRC was Liverpool beating Roma in the 1984 final. Kid was gone by the time The Smiths did the Peel session that unveiled How Soon Is Now. I think Richard Skinner did the Kid slot until Janice took over.

Comment

Fucking Hell, Matt Bianco. I'm with Simon Roberts.

Comment

Alexei Sayle putting in a damn sight more effort than those bunch of wankers Bianco.

Comment

Is it really Mel Brooks rapping on "To be or not to be (The Hitler Rap)"? Despite the song being awful, he has a surprisingly gravely, genuine rap and flow.

Comment

Yes, I thought he was shockingly good, not that my views on rapping ability are worth anything at all.

Comment

Always happy to see a Tracey Ullman video, this time she's working at a Wendy's, surprisingly.

Comment

My girlfriend of the time loved that Mel Brooks number, everytime we were in a pub with a jukebox it would go on, she insisted that we go and see the film (not Mel's greatest but not bad), I hated it at the time but it brought back some nice memories

Comment

I have no memory of ever hearing that Mel Brooks thing before, but quite enjoyed it.

Comment

Play the proper version of You Take Me Up, BBC. After all, we're only a couple of wins away from promotion.

Comment

I may have told this one before, but Howard Jones was on Roundtable with Morrissey and Paul Weller sometime around early 1985, and Richard Skinner introduced him as Tom Jones, then claimed it was a slip.

Comment

Well, I'm still watching. Although I haven't seen either of last weekend's programmes yet.

My all time favourite video was on the week before.

Comment

What, Howard Jones?

Comment

Belatedly got around to watching the video for To Be Or Not To Be (The Hitler Rap) just now after rereading the comments up the page. Mel Brooks really is quite a shockingly good rapper, it's fascinating. I can only put it down to a keen ear, gift for mimicry and wit and his comedian's instinct for timing, rhythm and flow. It's hilarious to consider that he's the same age (58 at the time that song was released, 91 now) as my grandfather, who only likes classical music and for whom Sinatra was a bit too new-fangled so probably wouldn't know what rap music is even now let alone in 1984.

Comment

That Alvin Stardust single last week is comfortably one of the worst things I've ever heard. His hairstyle is by turns comfortably one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Comment

That Mel Brooks rap is great. Obviously intended as the "Springtime" for the 1980s, and I nearly pulls it off. Hitler rapping with a Jewish New York accent is such a good idea; it would have been so easy to put on a shouty Austrian accent. "Heil! Heil! Siegeddy Heil!" still makes me laugh. And: "My name is Adolf, I'm on the mic, I'm gonna hit you with the story of the New Third Reich".

Comment

Not as good as his 1st single - Its Good To Be The King - both singles Brook's was assisted by Pete Wingfield.

I may be in a small minority of people who own both 12" singles - anyway here is the full version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXT-nYHOLsU

Comment

The previous year, both Kenny Everett and Roland bloody Rat had Top 20 hits with (supposed) rap records, so folk shouldn't have been too surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      What, Howard Jones?
                                      Nope.

Comment

John Waite?

Agree with Peel on Louise, not least because its my only known example of narrowboating in popular music video.

That Dazz Band video the other show was a weird old beast, bet the BBC had fun clearing all the clips for the repeat.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                            John Waite?

Agree with Peel on Louise, not least because its my only known example of narrowboating in popular music video.

Fairground Attraction, Perfect?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Unlikely, given that their 'moment' arrived four years later.

Comment

Speaking of unlikely rappers tonight's episode included something I don't remember hearing before which I might have mistaken for Wham Rap if I hadn't been paying attention. I forget the song title already but Paul Weller, what on earth were you thinking of!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                    Unlikely, given that their 'moment' arrived four years later.
                                                    I was referring to the fact said video was filmed on a narrowboat!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X