No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw them as a 3-some, but there were still loads of people on stage. Yes, some of their songs are/were shite, but still enjoyed them in person. (Only 36 years ago, too. Fucking hell.)

Comment

I had time for the Thompson Twins because I really, really fancied Alannah Currie. All right, this was a time when I really, really fancied loads of girls/women, but still.

Comment

Alannah Currie is married to Jimmy Cauty and they work on each other's art projects. To a degree it is just bad luck that the Thompson Twins seem to have stuck in people's minds as one of the prime examples of when '80s pop went bad. Not that they were any good, but plenty of equally bad groups lie undisturbed in the dumper, their members free to continue their lives free of any stigma.

Comment

I didn't realise that The Thompson Twins were so disparaged. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have fancied one of Bananarama or something.

(Just as I always forget whether I've posted a picture of Labskaus, have I ever mentioned that I was at school with at least one member of Bananarama? No, thought not.)

Comment

Hang on, I've just looked them up. Either I went to a different school or they did. Or Ian Holloway did, although he allegedly went to the same school as Gary Penrice. Although he didn't, because then Olli, Penny, at least one member of Bananarama and, possibly, Keith Curle all went to the same school. Which we never.
            Last edited by treibeis; 30-04-2018, 19:50.

Comment

You've definitely posted a picture of Labskaus. I've subsequently even posted pictures of Labskaus myself, seeking to conquer the fear by confronting it head on.

Maybe The Thompson Twins are less widely reviled than I've always believed. The newsagent did seem pretty nonplussed on Saturday morning when I asked her which member she hated the most. Dunno why, it might have changed over the course of the week since the last time I had posed the question. Still Tom, though.

Comment

A classmate of mine was a big The Thompson Twins fan. So much so that he glued - yes, with UHU or wallpaper paste or whatver - a burgundy-coloured pigtail onto the back of his hair.

(Have I really posted photos of Labskaus? I'd forget my head if it weren't screwed on.)

Comment

The pigtails are the main reason why history refuses to absolve them. Gluing a fake one on is better than spending months growing a real one, to be fair.

Unless it was a mislabelled photograph of another German delicacy that looks as if it has already been eaten once and then violently purged from one end or the other, there was definitely a Labskaus shot.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                    Hang on, I've just looked them up. Either I went to a different school or they did. Or Ian Holloway did, although he allegedly went to the same school as Gary Penrice. Although he didn't, because then Olli, Penny, at least one member of Bananarama and, possibly, Keith Curle all went to the same school. Which we never.
                    The Curle and Holloway Klaxon sounds, so I'm duty-bound to say that my uncle played at Rovers with one and City with the other. Today, though, in light of my thread in world, it just makes me sad for that full, thick Declan Donnelly tribute I sported in 1995:

https://twitter.com/jamesisaburyfan/status/689924091927732224

Comment

Forget the hair, have you still got the tie and waistcoat/cardigan thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        Unless it was a mislabelled photograph of another German delicacy that looks as if it has already been eaten once and then violently purged from one end or the other, there was definitely a Labskaus shot.
                        In an attempt to wean myself off posting photos of Labskaus, I've embarked upon an online German-language Labskaus Substitute Programme. The foodstuffs you're allowed to post are considerably less harmful for the user than with Labskaus.

As you may remember, a couple of weeks ago, during a conversation about cucumbers, I posted a photo of Tote Oma ("Dead Granny") While I still felt bloody awful afterwards, it was far preferable to anything Labskaus photos ever did for me. Step Two of the programme stipulates that I need to post a photo of Moppelkotze ("Porker's Puke"), so here it is:

Comment

That looks delicious. Is it raw?

Comment

I just get..
                            Website Blocked

Location: https://www.sommerelfe.com/wp-conten...pelkotze02.jpg
                            Your organization's policy prohibits access to websites categorized as Tasteless & Offensive.
                            Return to the page you were previously viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                              The Thompson Twins generally were.
                              They played the US leg, duet with Madonna?

Comment

That was an unusual diversion, a minute of Red Box then it suddenly jumped to a preview of the royal fucking wedding, the weather forecast, and now Red Box are beginning again...

Comment

Even those gurning fools Red Box would be preferable to the Royal Welding...

(Squarewheel, I think you've attached the wrong quote there.)

Finally, a heads-up to the fact that some clever individual has unearthed some previously unseen - and unadulterated - TOTPs from the early seventies and uploaded them to YouTube. (I'll post some links when I'm not on my mobile...)

Comment

Bit of footy on last nights offering. Never seen it before, but bit of Watford at the end of Elton Johns Nikita!

Comment

Yeah, that made me laugh. Never seen the Nikita video before, but it was just a standard Cold War story of thwarted romance and fake snow then all of a sudden we got to see Tony Coton (or maybe Steve Sherwood) lumping it forward for Watford to score. Also enjoyed the brief glimpse of a locomotive (a Peak I think) in the Level 42 video.

Last night's announcement that Jennifer Rush had sold a million copies goes to prove that the British public making shit decisions is not necessarily a modern phenomenon.

Comment

It was the last single to sell a million in the 1980s. Three other singles released in 1987-89 eventually sold a million but did not reach that mark until the digital era

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Comment

'Platinum' doesn't equal one million sales in the UK, however: for singles, it's 600,000.

(That said, it's likely that Jennifer Rush would still have put away a million copies of that hideous, bloated nonsense before 1986.)

Comment

600,000 only applies to singles released from 1.1.89 onwards. See footnote beneath this chart:

http://scans.chartarchive.org/UK/198...1989.02.04.pdf

Comment

What was that version of Stairway To Heaven all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                600,000 only applies to singles released from 1.1.89 onwards. See footnote beneath this chart:

http://scans.chartarchive.org/UK/198...1989.02.04.pdf
                                                Fair enough, must admit I'd thought that the change had been implemented a few years before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  What was that version of Stairway To Heaven all about?
                                                  Just catching up on episodes and the thread and wondered this myself - I remember it happening but didn't know any of the background so I've just looked it up. The 'Far' in Far Corporation was short for Frank Farian, for it was he who put them together - them being a collection of session musicians and singers* - and threw the kitchen sink at it, production wise.

*edit, that's over simplistic, having read it a bit more there were various members of Toto, Boney M, Force Majeure and Barclay James Harvest involved. It was worth the edit just to highlight that strange collection.
                                                  Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 22-06-2018, 21:01.

Comment

I saw a December 1985 episode of TOTP on Friday. I caught the first song halfway through (Hit that Perfect Beat), and thought I might recognise the group, but I couldn't place them by the lead singer. It turned out to be Bronski Beat with vocalist John Foster and not Jimmy Somerville.

This was all before my time, but I thought I was reasonably familiar with Bronski Beat and The Communards' output. I had no idea that Bronski Beat continued after Somerville's departure, and that the aforementioned single reached Number 3 in the UK charts (which equalled Smalltown Boy's highest position).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X