Things about Euro 2008 you're already annoyed by

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That ball. I don't know if it's actually bad, but I hate the idea of ever lighter, ever less reliable balls. It actually removes skill. A 40 yard shot that moves in 4 different directions shows no skill on the part of the striker, and is just UEFA/FIFA twattery to pretend that there are more brilliant goals.

Comment

I mean, why not make wobbly goalposts that move in random directions, for fucks sake?

Comment

The worst thing about the ball is it mitigates against skill. If it goes all directions, then poor shots that happened to be on target are going to fluke their way in. And the reason why the authorites keep making the ball lighter is that defence are getting more and more on top, so it needs these lucky goals to keep the average up.

Anyway, ITV in general. Tyldesley and Pleat in particular.

Comment

Nobody seems to be able to score for shit with this ball so far.

Comment

Oh, fucking fuck! I'm meant to be sympathetic to Kasim-Richards because, despite having a Turkish mum, Turkish nationality, and living and playing in Turkey for a year, he can't speak the language? What the fuck? Get a fucking grip mate. Every intellectually challenged foreigner in the Premiership speaks enough English to get along. Why is speaking your national language to the level you need to communicate in a football team so difficult? Argh!

Comment

I think this thread title should be changed to 'Apart from ITV, things about Euro 2008 you're already annoyed by'

Comment

That being essentially the point, bryan. Someone soon will hit a shot, connecting no cleaner or more skilfully than some players managed today, that wobbles like a beach football into the top corner. And will be hailed as a genius because of it.

Football has always had an element of luck about it, but there is taking things too far.

Comment

Cristiano Ronaldo.

Comment

Not being able to watch it in the sticks in New Zealand, and it being on at the wrong time of day anyway.

Also, Shearer, ITV, ITV, ITV.

On the plus side, there won't be reports from the England camp at half-time INSTEAD OF DISCUSSING AND ANALYZING THE MUCH MORE INTERESTING GAME YOU'RE ACTUALLY SHOWING LIVE, YOU TWATTERS!

Comment

Martin O'Neill calling one of today's sides "Czechoslovakia".

Comment

David Pleat.

It's bad enough having him commentating on domestic games, with his apparent refusal to pronounce any word more complicated than, say, 'chips' correctly. But putting him on the commentary team on a tournament where all the players have foreign names could cause a full-blown 'international incident', for fucks sake!

Someone kill him now!

Comment

to be fair, "The Czech Republic" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. It needs to start calling itself "The CR", then we'd get it, like "The UK" or "The USA".

Comment

In today's Football Focus, they showed Panenka's "Panenka" penalty vs West Germany in 1976, saying "Czekoslovakia won at home". FFS, it was played in YUGOSLAVIA!

Apart from that, the national anthems, sung by "tenors" or whatever - what a waste.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                              to be fair, "The Czech Republic" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. It needs to start calling itself "The CR", then we'd get it, like "The UK" or "The USA".
                              No! Don't be fair! I'm sure that they find the word 'cheque' easy enough to pronounce. And 'Republic of Ireland' is easy enough too, surely? Take a bit of each and you should have it down pat straight away.

Comment

But who the hell in England calls Ireland "the Republic of Ireland", either? I rest my case.

Comment

Tyldesley remembering Turkey being knocked out of the 2002 World Cup by Brazil, both goals coming from Ronaldo....then explaining it was not the same Ronaldo that was on show today

Comment

Tyldesley = Twat

Comment

The fact that ITV thought long and hard about who they could poach from the Beeb to improve their coverage, and they signed up Craig Doyle.

Comment

No, I'm delighted about that. It means that I'm no longer (directly) paying the wages of the cuntiest cunt in the entire cunting cuntiverse.

Also, what's wrong with "Czechy"?

Comment

I thought Gary Neville was pretty good on the sofa. Mind, he's used to sitting on one of them over the past year, isn't he?

Comment

Only two games a day isn't good. I was well up for watching another game last night after Portugal - Turkey, and there wasn't one. So I had to talk to people instead. Hmph.

Comment

I also think no matches during the afternoon on weekends is a bit rubbish, though at least the early matches are at a time when small kids can reasonably expect to see the end.

Comment

Nishlord wrote:
                                                Only two games a day isn't good. I was well up for watching another game last night after Portugal - Turkey, and there wasn't one. So I had to talk to people instead. Hmph.
                                                I was well up for watching another game last night as well... So I got on the internet and watched most of San Lorenzo vs. Banfield. The hosts won 3-2 in a match which decided which of the two will be in next season's Copa Sudamericana.

There's football outside Europe, y'know...

So far the biggest disappointment of Euro 2008 is that the Argentines aren't allowed to play in it. Because for all the talk about it being basically a world championship minus Brazil and Argentina, who was it who played the nicest football and scored the best two goals in Germany? The Czechs moved the ball around alright until the final third, and Portugal even better (certainly more penetratively) yesterday, but they'd have been absolutely roasted by the team that beat Mexico 4-1 on Wednesday. Can't we give them a special invitation? If CONMEBOL can do it for Mexico and the States...

Of course I would say that, wouldn't I.

Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesleym Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley Tyldesley

And Motson. And the bleating about 'the atmosphere isn't up to much for a host nation' from both broadcasters. I mean in fairness, from the pictures, they seem to be telling it how it is, but there's also a clear implication of 'it wouldn't be like this if it was in England / if our team were involved', which is just as annoying.

Comment

Hallelujah!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/euro2008/mediaplayer.html?features

RTE analysis and the return of Apres Match!

Comment

I suppose we should be thankful we're watching it at all but the Canadian feed seems to be coming, via dial-up, from a laundry closet in Medicine Hat. There's no crowd noise at all, just a muffled whisper. It's like sitting on the seashore chewing Valium.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X