County Cricket 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Cricket 2011

Glos do look like they'll beat Derbyshire to start with, so they aren't that bad yet.

GO, Yorks beat Worcestershire. It means nothing.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Just had a chat with David Capel and the rest of the Northamptonshire coaching staff, who were in my pub for a spot of dinner. Reckon I'll go see the final day at the Oval tomorrow, it's only a tenner in.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Etienne wrote:
        GO, Yorks beat Worcestershire. It means nothing.
        'Tweren't me...

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Lancashire see off Sussex surprisingly comfortably with the evergreen Glen Chapple taking nine wickets in the match.

A funny kind of sesaon in prospect for Lancashire; no matches at Old Trafford due to renovation work and no money to spend because of it. Recruitment this winter was essentially nil with the overseas player a Sri Lankan 'all-rounder' called Maharoof who hasn't played Test cricket for over four years after an international career in which he took twenty odd wickets at over 60 and didn't make many runs. The good news, we were informed, is that he's available all season.

Anyway, a chance for the homegrown up-and-comers to shine. They've made a good start at least.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

It's about time Lancashire won the county championship, they've been waiting since 1934. Maybe not playing at Old Trafford will bring some weird kind of good luck.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Lancashire, Manchester City, Widnes RLFC...

I'm the patron saint of lost causes.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Lancashire would have been champions at least twice in the last decade if they didn't end up drawing so many bloody games at home because of the rain. If they play more on the coast, where it rains far less than in Manchester, it might actually make the difference.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

More Sussex being better than them than rain.

Though not in this game, 150-3 to 174 all out. Bad start.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

I don't think Lancs should read too much more than Yorks. Sussex had no Prior, Yardy or Wright and are still getting to terms with losing their entire pace attack. Lancs are one injury to Glen Chapple away from meltdown.

Rogin, it rains as much in South Wales as it does in Manchester and Glamorgan (with rather less money) have still managed to win the title.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Had a tour round Lord's on Sunday with my cricket club and it's really got me in the mood for cricket again. My predictions for the season - Somerset as county champions with Derbyshire finishing bottom of the 2nd division. Also, one of the counties to go into administration this year.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Lancashire, Manchester City, Widnes RLFC...

I'm the patron saint of lost causes.
                        No, that's St Jude.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

"Lancs are one injury to Glen Chapple away from meltdown"

Indeed - and he's 37 now.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Recruitment this winter was essentially nil with the overseas player a Sri Lankan 'all-rounder' called Maharoof who hasn't played Test cricket for over four years after an international career in which he took twenty odd wickets at over 60 and didn't make many runs.
                            Still, it gives us all a chance to polish up those "Maharoof's On Fire" jokes.

Unexpectedly strong start for the Bears. I had us pencilled in as strong relegation candidates, despite my prediction that this will be Chris Woakes' break-through year. Still plenty of chances for us to fuck it up though.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Warwickshire absolutely overwhelming Somerset here.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Somerset now 34-7 following on, still 398 behind. I reckon they aren't going to win this one.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Nine wickets and a solid century for Woakes, I'm hoping we can keep him for at least the rest of this summer.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

I KNEW we shouldn't have let Sidebottom go...

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Everyone knew that!

So... why do the teams have points already in table? The season only started today.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Somerset lose by an innings again. They must be desperately hoping that Kartik and Thomas get back from the IPL to give their bowling a bit of penetration. The batting is looking almost as bad too.

Lancashire have started like a train, and managed to win without Chapple - with Maharoof looking like he might be a much better signing than expected.

And Viran Chopra hits his second double century of the season. The old achievement was 1000 runs before the end of May, he looks like he might do it before the end of April.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Indeed, pardon my earlier cynicism.

Maharoof chips in with s sprightly ton batting at eight and two top-order wickets in the Somerset second innings.

Good stuff.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

I currently have nothing to say.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Hell of a start for Chopra and Warwickshire. Successive double centuries. That'll do nicely.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Sorry about that George. I have no idea how we either we turned into the demon machine or you turned into quivering jellies. But I'll take it, thanks.

That's two years running we've conjured up a ridiculous comeback against Yorks. I'm beginning to like them.

Comment

County Cricket 2011

Following that was a great way to start our evening's fuck up in Northampton...

Comment

County Cricket 2011

For the second consecutive county championship game a Lancashire number eight hits a ton as they rattle up just under 600 then take four Sussex wickets with less than 100 on the board in reply.

It's all going to come tumbling down soon as Lancashire's squad of 18 full-time pros get stretched to breaking point, but I'm enjoying this season so far.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X