Perfectly normal words that just sound wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But the similar-sounding Biggleswade...?

Comment

I'm always slightly confused when I see signs for Pontefract. I'm sure it should be in Wales.

Comment

Liphook is the placename that really makes me shudder, but Watchet makes me chuckle. I'd love to hail from there.

"So, where are you from?"
        "Watchet"
        "Sorry, I meant no offence, I was just interested in where you lived."
        "I said, Watchet"
        "OK OK, sorry I asked."

Comment

Ricky Lenin wrote:
          I'm always slightly confused when I see signs for Pontefract. I'm sure it should be in Wales.
          This too - I also struggle with Penrith not being in Wales too, it sounds as Welsh as cheese on toast and indefinable surliness

Comment

Welcome gavc23, and well done for immediately ingratiating yourself with all our Welsh posters.

Comment

When I was at university we were talking about non-league football and I said I often watched my non-league side Billericay Town. My mate looked at me and said he didn't realise I was Irish. FFS.

Comment

Er Liquidatore wrote:
                And in equal numbers at Roma, if not more. In fact a huge part of Romanista identity is tied up in all that crap. And yes, much of it is fascist.
                The irony here (or one of them) is that the original Romans used to be fairly inclusive with other races and cultures. That is one of the main reasons they've managed to hold on to a huge and heterogeneous empire for such a long time.

Comment

The Appin of Dull, anyone?

Comment

I always thought Truro was in Scotland. Confusing it with Troon, I suppose.

(I thought I'd already posted that earlier on in the thread. Turns out I didn't. Did I dream it?)

Football-wise, the first time I heard of Valerenga I assumed they were a Spanish club, and that Osasuna were based in Japan.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                      Football-wise, the first time I heard of Valerenga I assumed they were a Spanish club, and that Osasuna were based in Japan.
                      When Anorthosis Famagusta popped up in one of the European cups a couple of years ago, I thought they were from the southern suburbs of Milan... this on the basis of a business trip to my employer's Milan office, which was close to a station called Famagusta. I just assumed it was the name of the suburb.

Comment

I always thought Truro was in Scotland. Confusing it with Troon, I suppose.

Or possibly Thurso (also in Scotland).

Similarly, I was surprised to learn that Addlestone is a quiet Surrey commuter town and not a former coal mining village in Yorkshire.

Comment

I hail originally from a village called Upper Poppleton. Try saying that to a taxi driver after a post-match pint or 10.

Comment

Ramsbottom

Sounds like it should be a fictional place in a vaudeville sketch.

Comment

There's an area near Lewisham, SE London called Crofton Park - it really ought to be in Merseyside.

Comment

Jobi1 wrote:
                                I hail originally from a village called Upper Poppleton. Try saying that to a taxi driver after a post-match pint or 10.
                                Many, many years ago the GLW and I went on a pilgrimage to Upper Poppleton. We used to go often on the train from Leeds to Knaresbrough, and every time, she'd crack up when she saw the name Upper Poppleton on the timetable. So one day we decided to continue our journey and check it out.

Terrifying place. There was a *huge* garden centre where you could buy all the raw materials necessary to build a 30-foot-tall wicker man, a post office (we took a photo) and a village green that was like something out of Children of the Stones, only without the stones. Lots of creepy Boris Johnson lookalike kids capering about.

We wandered into one of the two pubs on the village green and it was like the scene in The Slaughtered Lamb in An American Werewolf in London. Absolute silence descended as we entered. We made our excuses and left and ran back to the relative cosmopolitanity of Knaresbrough.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                  X