Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 World Snooker Championship

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
    It's a shame their eras have been separated by a generation because I'd have loved to see a Trump - Reardon game. Or heard it. Reardon - Trump.

Sorry.
    Mark King and Marco Fu have never faced each other during the TV stages of a tournament. Probably for the best.

Comment

David Agnew wrote:
      Ronnie's losing streak is too long to back against (yet Corals were offering 4-1 on Dominic Dale to beat him earlier in the week). A treble on those is around 22/1 now Ronnie's price has come down in the light of World Snooker revealing that Ronnie had asked to withdraw last week, only to change his mind a week later.
      Dale is 10/3 on Bet365 right now. That has to be worth a go then?

Comment

Oh definitely. I've got a free £20 on him at 7/2 with Corals (he's 3/1 there now), and at 4/1 in that treble. Ronnie's run made me a little bit of cash at the Masters as well, but yeah it's a crazy price in a two horse race considering his form.

Comment

Right, I've stuck £2 on him. This represents the biggest bet I have placed on anything in over a year, mainly because regardless of how well-informed-by-statistics my bets are, they always lose. So just watch O'Sullivan sail through without breaking a sweat.

This is the second year running I can't watch the Worlds on the telly, being in Argentina. Curse it. Any good sites for decent streams (bearing in mind that being able to see the balls requires a much better picture than for football)? I tried it last year and gave up after 5 minutes, as I could only make out what was on the table when the balls were all stationary.

Comment

I'll stick my neck out and call it a Higgins-Ding final, with the Scotsman winning the day once more. You would expect Ding to overcome Fu, Selby or Carter en route, while Higgins has no real opposition until Murphy in the quarters and Allen/Williams in the semis.

Comment

Campbell finally makes a frame-winning break, fluking frame ball on the way to avoiding the whitewash, but he's still 9-1 down.

Comment

Hendry aside in the 1992 final, and that Parrott-Charlton whitewash you mentioned, how many other players have won 10 frames on the trot in a Crucible match?

Comment

I don't think there are many, if any. Hendry topped off those Ten frames against Jimmy White by taking a 9-0 lead against Danny Fowler the following year.

Nigel Bond has won 8, coming back from 9-2 down to beat Cliff Thorburn 10-9, in what would prove to be Cliff Thorburn's last Crucible appearance in 1994.

Any others would be from the second round onwards' and I'll check when I'm properly back on line, which should be later tonight.

Comment

This graphic they're using to display the draw on the BBC shows seems a little odd. With the massive faces,dim lighting and black background it's making the players look sinister. Stuart bingham and Martin Gould look like Bond villains at the best of times, but it's making the rest look like the News of the Screws name and shame list.

Comment

Now I'm back properly online for a few days and checked the form, I'd like to say that there's a fourth non-seed I'd like to back - Martin Gould against Marco Fu.

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                      Hendry aside in the 1992 final, and that Parrott-Charlton whitewash you mentioned, how many other players have won 10 frames on the trot in a Crucible match?
                      I can name four that have won more (Mark Williams, Steve Davis, John Parrott and Jimmy White - twice). Mark Williams holds the record for most frames in a single match from his 2003 match against Quentin Hann. Hann took a two frame lead, only for Williams to rattle off thirteen in a row.

Comment

O'Sullivan and Dale rattle off four frames in about 70 minutes.

O'Sullivan is trying to pot anything that looks like a half-chance, but his positioning is off (and they're playing on what the commentators are referring to as the faster of the two tables), as he found when he tried to reel off a 147 in the second frame (he reached 65 before he had to take a blue, and was badly positioned for half the shots). Dale started off leaving Ronnie some easy shots, but after overscrewing a fairly routine yellow, and leaving him hampered on the green (missing the shot with the rest by a couple of inches in the process), Ronnie's looked off the pace, and Dale's barely missed a ball (having played fairly badly in the first two frames).

Comment

Oh, that's a bad miss by Dale.

O'Sullivan could get a maximum here.

Comment

Positioning on the 12th black lets him down.

Comment

Ronnie takes a 7-2 lead at the end of the session, with the commentators talking up both players, but potting apart, Ronnie has looked rusty, and while Dale made few mistakes, they were all crucial ones.

On the other table, it's 9-9, Joe Perry is 19 points behind, with 22 left on the table after missing the brown.

Comment

And it's a crucial miss, as Perry plays a poor safety, and Hendry does enough to win the frame and match.

As for this evening - it's the conclusion of Stephen Maguire v Barry Hawkins, the first session of which was abysmal. Maguire is playing like a man who has just become a father for the first time and wants to be with his new kid, and Hawkins is somehow playing worse, despite leading 6-3 (Maguire potted more balls, and had a better pot success rate).

On the other table it's Peter Ebdon v Stuart Bingham, which should be a close affair, as Ebdon is 12th in terms of ranking points earned this season, Bingham is 13th.

Comment

Dominic Dale continues his one man mission to get Ronnie back into form, with some bizarre shot selections, poor safety and pure bad luck - it finishes 10-2.

On the other table is a match for purists only. Graeme Dott is the most versatile player on the circuit, but can grind like Peter Ebdon on a go-slow, whereas Mark King's style is best described as attritional.

Of this morning's games, Marco Fu defies the latest form as he leads Martin Gould 6-3, whereas on the other table, two players with a reputation for being a bit shit in front of the TV cameras (they have one win thirteen attempts between them, and that was back in 2004) see Ricky Walden and Rory McLeod plod their way to 4-4, not even completing the session. They will continue in their quest for their first ever Crucible win (both making their second attempt) tomorrow morning, and if we're being honest tomorrow night. Still, it can't have been as bad as the Stephen Maguire-Barry Hawkins match last night, which was not only somehow worse than their first session, but comfortably the worst Crucible match I've ever seen.

Comment

David Agnew wrote:
                                    Dominic Dale continues his one man mission to get Ronnie back into form, with some bizarre shot selections, poor safety and pure bad luck - it finishes 10-2.
                                    I did that.

The question on the previous page still stands by the way - anyone know any decent streams? Or, perhaps, a good place to watch the highlights on demand and online? The BBC site, predictably, has them blocked for anyone outside the UK...

Comment

SamLKelly wrote:
                                      David Agnew wrote:
                                      I did that.

The question on the previous page still stands by the way - anyone know any decent streams? Or, perhaps, a good place to watch the highlights on demand and online? The BBC site, predictably, has them blocked for anyone outside the UK...
                                      TheBox and UKNova will have everything uploaded, but obviously delayed. Unfortuately, if you're not already a member, signups are closed for now.

Otherwise, Myp2p will be abhle to point you in the way of some places hosting it.

Comment

Mark Allen comes from 9-6 down to win 10-9 against Matthew Stevens. The sixteenth frame has a marvellous 103 break from Allen, followed by three error-strewn, but fascinating frames.

Amusingly, Reanne Evans, the Ladies World Champion who was given a wild card onto this season's main tour (despite failing to get beyond the last 16 in the English Amateur competitons she entered last season), spends the last frame in the front row (alongside her and ex-partner Allen's daughter) and the commentary team fail to notice her. Mind you, it might have been on purpose, so that they didn't have to mention her record on the main tour this season (Played 16, Lost 16, Frames Won 20, Frames Lost 85).

Comment

Mark Selby finishes off Jimmy Robertson by beating him 10-1 (and to add to Rogin's question from above, Robertson took a 1-0 lead, so Selby's ten frames were consecutive).

In the beginning of the second round, Mark Williams makes an emphatic 7-1 lead over Jamie Cope, and unlike the heavy session winners in the first round (Carter, Ding, Selby, Murphy, O'Sullivan), this has owed as much to the Welshman's dominance, as poor play by his opponent.

Comment

David Agnew wrote:
                                            SamLKelly wrote:
                                            David Agnew wrote:
                                            I did that.

TheBox and UKNova will have everything uploaded, but obviously delayed. Unfortuately, if you're not already a member, signups are closed for now.

Otherwise, Myp2p will be abhle to point you in the way of some places hosting it.
                                            Ta very much, I'll have a look at those tomorrow, hopefully the pictures will be okay.

Comment

Mark Williams sees off Jamie Cope at lightning pace (13-4), while Judd Trump will soon be joining him (11-5). Allen-Hawkins looks like going down to the wire - at times, the Antrimman's depression looks like overwhelming him, hopefully he can respond as he did in Round One.

Comment

Trump predictably, rapidly wins the two frames required to emerge 13-6. Allen continues his Jekyll-and-Hyde form - going 7-3 behind against Hawkins before rattling off a six-frame salvo to lead 9-7 after the second session.

Comment

I like this Judd Trump. I was mulling over whether or not his hair is shit. Immediate reaction was yeah, it's shit. Then I thought no, he's put alot of effort into it, so it's not shit. Then I thought ah, but look how it's turned out - it's shit. Then I thought no, that's harsh. I imagined the different angles emerging from his head like Superman's citadel out of the Arctic wastes. So the final verdict: not shit.

Comment

Allen runs out of position while on 96 in the final frame decider, but will have his work cut out to defeat world no.1 Williams. Dott defeats Carter in similar fashion, while Selby is in command against Hendry (7-1), and Ronnie O'Sullivan is in surprisingly good form versus Shaun Murphy (6-2).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X