X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardiff City 1-0 Real Madrid

Forty years ago today.

mighty stuff. You could see real madrid conceding exactly the same goal today. sergio ramos getting caught out of position, defenders watching an unmarked forward thumping a header past casillas.

Interesting to see that Madrid weren't above hoofing the ball down the field, or hitting the diagonal ball to the big lad up front.

Why did that cardiff city player get booked? That was a truly horrible tackle by the full back.

Comment

Enjoyed that, especially the parka clad pitch invasion at the end!

Who was the commentator?

Comment

I always think citys european leagacy is the beating of torpedo moscow in 1968, as moscow was too cold it was played it tashkent (now Uzbekistan). a 6000 mile round trip, the furthest for a british side in europe. 3 cardiff city fans made it (not sure how many set out)

lost 1-0, won the home leg 1-0 and believe won a reply. we certainly beat them as we narrowly lost to hamburg in the semis

Comment

Who was the commentator?
          This is a bit of a guess, but I would go for Idwal Robling, winner of the BBC's search for a commentator competition in 1969.

Comment

In 1971, two of the European competitions featured all-English semi-finals - Chelsea v Man City in the Cup Winners' Cup, and Liverpool v Leeds in the Fairs Cup.

Don't think that's happened again since.

Comment

Man United, Ipswich, Arsenal and Liverpool twice have all actually gone that extra level and eliminated Real Madrid from European competition. Aberdeen are the only Scottish side.

Bayern Munich are their main nemesis, four eliminations by the Germans and three by Juventus. Ipswich and Sparta Prague are the only sides to put them out in the First Round and the most unlikely aggregate winner over them was probably Odense in the mid 90s. Madrid somehow contrived to lose 2-0 at home having won 3-2 away, shades of one of Barcelona's worst European nights under Terry Venables when they crashed 4-1 at home in a Cup Winners Cup match against minnows Metz having won 4-2 in France. I'm kind of remembering the Seneglese striker Jules Bocande ripping them a new one.

Comment

It was a Yugoslavian fellow called Toni Kurbos who did most of Metz's damage in the Nou Camp, scoring three of the four goals.

Barcelona had some bloody awful European results under Venables in his three years in charge. There was the aforementioned Metz disaster, the home-and-away beating by Dundee United, a pair of hugely embarrassing draws against the Albanians of Flamurtari (Albanian football was terrible at the time), and of course they threw away a very winnable final in Seville against Steaua Bucharest.

Even during that run to the 1986 final, Barca lost 1-0 at home to Sparta Prague, 3-1 away to Porto and 3-0 to IFK Gothenburg.

The Odense winner against Real Madrid was made even more hilarious by the fact that it was scored in the very last minute. I saw highlights of that game on Eurosport the next day.

This eye-catching scoreline also deserves a place in the pantheon of hilarious Real Madrid defeats in Europe.

Comment

dalliance wrote:

Man United, Ipswich, Arsenal and Liverpool twice have all actually gone that extra level and eliminated Real Madrid from European competition. Aberdeen are the only Scottish side.

Don't know whether the heavy rain stopped loads more from attending that match, but it didn't seem to have the feel or atmosphere of a European final.

It was definitely the early '80s - note the advertising hoardings for the Atari.

One of the many things I've learned from going back over these old clips: Brian Moore truly was a superb commentator.

Comment

ESPN Classic showed an hour's worth of that Aberdeen-Real Madrid game a while back. With the best will in the world, it looked like a pretty shite game. Not a lot happening apart from the three goals.

Comment

Aberdeen v Real Madrid was 1983.

Cardiff, Wrexham and Newport all had some notable victories in the ECWC due to their Welsh Cup qualification process ie no English winner could compete in Europe.
                      I watched a lot of these games as we were able to pick up HTV in our area of Liverpool.

Comment

Nowadays, Jim Leighton would have got a straight red card for giving away that penalty. Would have been interesting to see how that changed the outcome of the final.

Mind you, I suppose you could also speculate that nowadays, Alex McLeish would never have attempted that back-pass to Leighton in the first place, as his 'keeper wouldn't have been allowed to pick it up.

Comment

looks like the ref of this Cradiff v Madrid game was Belgian Vital Loraux

Comment

It was a scruffy game that CWC Final and I suppose you could say that the wet conditions were advantageous for Aberdeen. Whatever, it was a coming together of Aberdeen's best ever team against one of Real Madrid's worst.

I had relatives in Aberdeen and back in the day I used to support all the other Scottish clubs in Europe, Celtic excepted of course. I was pleased for Aberdeen in 83, really disappointed when Dundee United blew a chance to make it an all British European Cup Final in 84, was thrilled by their run to the UEFA Final in 87, went to Tynecastle for some of the games during Hearts run to the Quarters of the UEFA Cup in 89 and travelled also to Easter Road and Love Street for European games too.

Never again though, I got heartily sick of the gloating from the rest of Scotland when Rangers (or Celtic) were dumped out of Europe every season.

Comment

Yes, it's amazing why supporters of others Scottish teams don't like Rangers and Celtic...

Comment

Working...
                              X