Intrigue in the Canadian Parliament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrigue in the Canadian Parliament - 2011 edition

It does, and I knew the sunglasses were medically required but a bit of viral counter-messaging should be able to deal with that.

Comment

For example, one could simply insert "not" before any nasty caption that one might think of . . .

Comment

Last month, when that image was all over the media here due to the lady in question... ummm "editing" official documents. It was pointed out that it isn't just the sunglasses that give her the illusion of gangsterism, it's also the black coat and, especially, the cigarette. Politicians just mustn't been seen smoking in public these days.

Comment

Who could forget this glamourous ad for Canadian political smoking:

Comment

Ah those were the days eh? The savoir faire of Belmondoesque Gauloise drooping from the side of nicotine stained lips, as its ash tumbled down his lapels. We'll never see the like again.

Comment

He was ten times any of the politicians we have nowadays.

Comment

Yes indeed, you can argue about René's political stands, but not about his integrity or class.

Comment

Well, there was the time he ran over the street person, and managed to have the police breathalyse the dead guy instead of him. But apart from that, yeah.

Comment

Wow, I must have missed that bit in his epic Radio Canada bio.

Comment

Doesn't get mentioned that often, it's true. Happened very shortly after he was elected Premier. He was driving his offical limo without his glasses, and with "an unknown female" (although I believe in fact it was his mistress, who later became a Bloc Quebecois MP...name escapes me, unfortunately)

He wanted to resign, apparently, but others talked him out of it, because no one wanted Camille Laurin to become Premier.

Comment

And in other news, cabinet ministers Stockwell Day and Chuck Strahl announce they will not be seeking re-election. I am not a fan of many people in that cabinet, but Strahl is a genuinely decent human being. They'll be poorer for him not being there.

Going public with this means the Tories don't think they're going to survive in Parliament. They might as well have just fired a starting pistol.

Comment

Good riddance to Stockwell though.

Comment

Watch it. If not for him, we'd not have all these fabulous proposed prisons to house the convicted perpetrators of unreported crimes.

Comment

He's given us so much to treasure. Who could forget when he turned up to his first press conference as leader like this:

...and the resulting sound of the entire nation, in a show of unity rarely seen outside Olympic hockey tournaments, going "What the Fuck"?

Comment

He used to look like a guy who should be riding a Sea Doo, but have you seen him lately? He looks like an unhealthy old man.

Comment

Government'll do that to you. Seen how grey Obama's become?

Comment

And, we're off!

The Tories have been found guilty of contempt of parliament, which is technically what today's confidence vote is about. But there's no suspense here. Jim Flaherty's Tuesday budget - not one of his better ones, frankly - was D.O.A. Layton didn;t even let him fisnish speaking before walking (slowly - he's got a hip problem these days) over to a group of reporters and telling them he wasn't supporting them.

Polls seem split between showing a result that would be essentially the same as last time and ones which hint that Harper may be quite vulnerable. The basic reason the Tories aren't doing worse is that voters aren't sold on Ignatieff. But I think that between a sniping press and the example of Stephane Dion, the bar has been set so low for him that he can't help but do well. But Canadian elections are volatile. Swings of 10% in a five week period are not unknown if someone gets some momentum.

My guess right now - Tories 115, Liberals 110, Bloc 48, NDP 35. Ignatieff to become PM with NDP support, Harper quits, Tories tear themselves apart in ensuing leadership fight.

Comment

Or once the writ gets dropped voters think "Oh not another effing election already." Harper says "Don't blame me." So we don't, and he gets a majority government.

Comment

Do you really get that feeling? I get the impression people want a vote. More so than last time, anyway.

Or, put it this way - they may be a bit annoyed, but I don't get the impression people think this is a *spurious* election.

Comment

Well my life largely revolves around a university campus, a community college in New Westminster and the coffee shops of West Point Grey. In none of these places have I heard anything that would amount to a conversation about — never mind enthusiasm for — a federal election.

By next week, once it's all over the media, that will change I'm sure. However no one's champing at the bit, and there are no substantial quantities of tea leaves to read yet, so far as I can tell.

Comment

Oh, thank gord for someone who knows it's champing and not chomping.

I do hope that people take an interest in this one. I just can't trust Harper and I can't think of anyone in his party that I can even stand the sight of any more: Baird, Oda, Flaherty, Day, etc.

That said, the vote hasn't even happened in the house yet and I'm already tired of the phrases 'hard working Canadians' and 'Canadian families'. Jesus, can they beat the tar out of a talking point.

AG: you really think there's a chance they'll form a coalition?

Comment

Yes. Well, put it this way - I think it's likelier that in the situation I outlined above the Liberals would govern with the support of the NDP but without a formal coalition deal. But I wouldn't rule out a coalition entirely, especially if the NDP could make a breakthrough to about 50 seats.

Comment

I could look this up, but I'd rather get your take.

How regional is the parties' support right now?

The Bloc is the Bloc; I always think of the NDP as the BC Nationalists (not really) and the Tories seem to have taken over the Prairies.

I know that the NDP actually has some seats in Ontario and the Maritimes, but are the Liberals the only party with genuine national appeal?

Comment

As I mentioned above the upcoming provincial election is way bigger than the federal one. Our new Premier delivers the first shot by stealing a major gift out of the NDP's election goodie bag.

Comment

Did Duceppe really say this?

""The Minister of Science is a creationist who thinks the Flintstones is a documentary""

Comment

Working...
                                                    X