Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have a thread on Baron Zu Googleberg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, he's finally resigned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12608083

Apparently it's the public's fault, and he's stepped down purely because the media aren't giving him time to do his job.

Not sure why he can't just copy whatever Spain's defence minster (for example) does and just pass it off as his own work

Comment

Mind, "a nail in the coffin for confidence in democracy" strikes me as a bit über das Oberteil.

Comment

What I've never understood about him is how he's supposed to be the country's most popular politician. I've never met anyone who thinks he's anything other than an odious slimeball.

Comment

If more German academics had read Alderman Barnes' take on this gentleman in last year's "People Up To No Good" thread (which I can't find), then he'd have been sussed out much earlier. However, at that time, there were too many people banging on about how good it is to have a young, charismatic, cut-through-the-crap minister coming up through the ranks.

There was a long article in last week's Spiegel in which they showed just a few of the many passages he'd half-inched for his thesis. Even some of the orthographical errors were the same. Quite apart from being a liar and a thief, the bloke's as thick as pigshit.

Comment

I've never met anyone who thinks he's anything other than an odious slimeball.

You lucky so-and-so. Fräulein treibeis's son attends a school in the well-heeled part of town. A few weeks back, I had the misfortune to spend half a minute in the company of a group of the young man's classmates' parents. All of the blokes looked and sounded exactly like "KT", as his mates used to call him. Even the bloody teacher looked and sounded like him. They made that Nonnenmacher bloke from HSH Nordbank look like Shane McGowan.

Guttenberg is these people's "man on the street". The only reason they'd dismiss him as an odious slimeball is that he's not in the FDP.

Comment

He could have saved his career by renouncing his PhD diploma while he was ahead, you knew they were going to revoke that sooner or later. Might have been fun to re-write his thesis on his spare time as a minister.

It's been a rough month for ministers from the continent.

Comment

I think this is the Barnesian post you were looking for.

Absolute quality.

Comment

Crumbs! 450 pages long. If my thesis turns out to be as long as even the unplagarised section of his my committee will skewer me.

Comment

missed that AB post at the time, very good.

Comment

Calma, Amor.

Fields are very different. I had to get special dispensation for going over 150 in history.

Comment

I know. No one's given me an official limit, and I'm confident my supervisor would go to bat for me if she thought it needed to be 450 pages. But one hears sighs and moans from certain faculty about "having" to read dissertations that are more than 150 pages. Lazy buggers.

Comment

Kissinger's senior honors thesis at Harvard (on the Congress of Vienna) was something like 300 pages long; the rule was established before the next term started.

Henry the K also managed to recycle his honors thesis for both his Masters and Ph.D, which was an option that was also suggested to me, but which I couldn't abide at the time.

Comment

Crumbs! 450 pages long. If my thesis turns out to be as long as even the unplagarised section of his my committee will skewer me.

Yes, but the bigger they come, the more likely they can get flogged for 88 euros.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                              Kissinger's senior honors thesis at Harvard (on the Congress of Vienna) was something like 300 pages long; the rule was established before the next term started.

Henry the K also managed to recycle his honors thesis for both his Masters and Ph.D, which was an option that was also suggested to me, but which I couldn't abide at the time.
                              No! That's never allowed, is it?

Comment

Recycled is too strong a word (it isn't like a M. Phil situation), but there is an awful lot of his honors thesis in his dissertation.

What I was told was that I needed to fix the typos* and add a chapter for a M.A.

* I typed it myself, on a real typewriter, and didn't get a heck of a lot sleep that last week.

Comment

TBH defining length by the number of pages strikes me as both inaccurate and archaic. I can, for example, shave about 10% off the length of a document by going down a point size and even more by reducing the leading. Surely word count is a more accurate measure of size?

Comment

Amor, this was the typewriter age.

If they still have the rule, I'm pretty sure that they have added strict margin/font/leading requirements or gone to word count.

FWIW, US courts (which also have strict page limits) use the former more than the latter).

Comment

Yes, I didn't mean your particular issue.

I'm pretty sure that they have added strict margin/font/leading requirements or gone to word count.

No, not totally they haven't not here at any rate. Margins yes, fonts and leading there's quite a bit of flexiblity, 10-12pt is acceptable maybe more/less, double space/one and a half are OK — I haven't actually tested the outer limits of the thesis office's tolerance... yet. More to the point everyone still talks about "pages" rather than "words" as if there was still a typing pool producing it.

Comment

That's weird, especially given your field.

Comment

I just checked, and mine's 196 pages, double-spaced. Though with a whole hell of a lot of diagrams. (Exactly 100, in fact, I've just realised.)

Comment

I had hand-colored maps in my appendix.

It was 1980, but it might as well have been 1650.

Comment

Working...
                                            X