Civilisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civilisation

In case anyone was interested, Kenneth Clark's Civilisation has been remastered and is showing on BBC HD on Wednesdays.
    Second episode tomorrow.

Civilisation

Tubbs, upon hearing this news:

Comment

Civilisation

That's nice. I'm off to watch endless Primeval and Law and Order UK reruns on BBC America.

Comment

Civilisation

Primeval's on BBC World? How odd, it's an ITV programme.

Comment

Civilisation

BBC America is different from BBC World; the former features some ITV content.

Comment

Civilisation

So it's like BBC World, only a bit rubbish?

Comment

Civilisation

It's not as good as BBC World because it is tailored to "American tastes", which are the equivalent of Reject China Shops.

It also constantly repeats the same shows.

Comment

Civilisation

BBC Canada and America are dreadful. This was BBC Canada's prime time schedule from yesterday evening: The Hotel Inspector — Top Gear — The Secret Millionaire — Antiques Roadshow — The Hotel Inspector — Top Gear. Repeat ad infinitum. Considering the amount of classic comedy and drama the corporation has in its vaults they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Comment

Civilisation

Yeah, BBC America is scandalously bad. Here's it's lineup tonight, starting at 8pm EST:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Ep 7 Unification - Part 1
                  Ramsay's Best Restaurant - Ep 11 Grand Final
                  Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - Ep 8 Sabatiello's
                  Star Trek: The Next Generation - Ep 7 Unification - Part 1

They're also showing the X Files all the time now. WTF?

They do air some good shows once in a while--they showed Skins starting a few years ago, and they also had I'm Alan Partridge. But they rerun crap, and you have to know when the good shows are on--they did a marathon of Spaced one night, and that was the only time that they showed it.

Comment

Civilisation

I thought it was remastered when I got the DVD a few years ago. This is for HD, right? That must be stunning. Next up The Ascent of Man.

The BBC could do better than that BBC America schedule from what it produces now, let alone its archive. And indeed from what it sells to other satellite channels here. I'd swap BBC America fo Eden, Blighty or even GOLD and Dave on that evidence.

Ursus and Mrs Ursus, on seeing BBC America's line up last night:

Comment

Civilisation

Hold on, you won't want to miss these nightly schedules coming up later this week (8pm-midnight):

Thursday: Star Trek: The Next Generation (8-9pm), Robin Hood: Prince of Theives (9pm-midnight)
                      Saturday: Primeval, Being Human, The Graham Norton Show, Primeval
                      Sunday: The Edge (8-10:30pm), The Edge (10:30pm-1am)

Comment

Civilisation

I remember being very excited when BBC America was announced. What a letdown.

I think it's still true that the better British television is found on PBS stations in the U.S. (Though they air some crap, too.) And the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim showed Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, but that's not quite as sophisticated as Mr. Clark, I suppose.

Comment

Civilisation

In my experience BBC America is better than BBC World, even given the schedules posted on this thread. Last time I checked, BBC World alternated between crappy news broadcasts and property/cooking shows.

Comment

Working...
                          X