J-League, Let's Go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J-League, Let's Go!

This is a brand new, official J-League promotion video ahead of the start to the 2011 season in three weeks’ time.

The script, such as it is, translates in its entirety as:

“Delicious… strawberry! J-League, let’s go!”

J-League, Let's Go!

By popular demand Furtho starts up the 2011 J-League thread, thanks a lot.

As for the advert, what the fuck?
    Is this normal for Japan?

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

I sometimes suspect that post-war Japan is a gigantic conspiracy to confuse the rest of the world. I love it, though, and hope the conspiracy continues. This ad gave me s-pulses of excitement and made me feel utterly jubilo.

So who are the teams to beat in the J-League this year? I occasionally catch the highlights show on FSC. I don't think they ever show any full matches, however.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

There's another version of the video here.

The favourites will almost certainly be Nagoya Grampus, champions for the first time in 2010. Their squad is not that much different from last year although they have released Brazilian midfielder Magnum and signed from Shimizu S-Pulse Jungo Fujimoto, who appeared briefly in the Asian Cup.

Most of the close season transfer news has focused on rumoured or actual moves to Europe by players like Shinji Okazaki (S-Pulse to Stuttgart), Ryo Miyaichi (high school to Feyenoord via Arsenal) and Tomoaki Makino (Sanfrecce Hiroshima to Koln). Previous title winners Kashima Antlers have signed another potential high school find in Gaku Shibasaki and released ageing star striker Marquinhos, who then rather riled Antlers fans by accepting an offer from Vegalta Sendai.

Volker Finke has returned to Germany after two years at Urawa Reds, who will be led this season by Zeljko Petrovic, previously assistant to Avram Grant at West Ham. Urawa have signed undoubtedly one of the top players in Japan over the last few years, playmaker Marcio Richardes from Albirex Niigata. Gamba Osaka have released no fewer than four foreign players, their main signing being the across-town move from Cerezo of tough midfielder Adriano. S-Pulse have had a big clear-out and a change of coach, Kenta Hasegawa having been replaced by ex-Iranian national team boss Afshin Ghotbi.

The white hot favourites in J2 are FC Tokyo, who have kept most of their squad together after sensationally being relegated. Their president has been quoted as saying that he expects them to win every match this season; JEF United and perhaps even Tokyo Verdy may be the teams most likely to have something to say about that. J2 now has a membership of twenty teams with the admission of Gainare Tottori from the Japan Sea coast. Gainare will be hoping to do better than last year's newcomers Giravanz Kitakyushu, who won one game all season to finish rock bottom of the league.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

J-League starts again tomorrow. Some of the teams have already been in action in the AFC Champions League, with mixed results. Well here are my predictions for the coming season:

J1 Champions: Nagoya Grampus
          Runners up: Kashima Antlers
          Third: Gamba Osaka
          Relegated: Avispa Fukuoka, Ventforet Kofu, Omiya Ardija

J2 Champions: FC Tokyo
          Runners up: JEF United
          Also promoted: Tokyo Verdy

Bottom: Gainare Tottori

Actually the majority of the predictions I have seen agree with the top two in J1 and J2 and the bottom two in J1, but then again when Montedio Yamagata were promoted I didn’t see anyone predicting they would stay up.

The season runs to December, with a break in July while Japan play in the Copa America. It will be interesting to see whether success in the Asian Cup and the high profile players in Europe will see a further increase in the popularity in the domestic game, or if the lack of the current star names hurts the domestic competition.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

Thanks for the predictions and please keep on posting, it is the only chance any of us really have of keeping up with the world of football in Japan.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

So six weeks after the devastating earthquake and tsunami, the J League resumes this weekend. Remarkably, it appears that only one team does not have a functioning stadium, and even more remarkably that team is NOT Vegalta Sendai. Kashima Antlers will be playing in Tokyo for a couple of months whilst Kashima Stadium is made safe. Vegalta Sendai are scheduled to play at their Yurtec stadium next weekend, but have issued advice to fans not to jump up and down on the terracing. The other team nearest the earthquakes' epicentre, Mito Hollyhock have suffered some damage to their ground, but having to fence off areas of the ground should not affect one of the smallest teams in the League.

The games that were postponed over the last few weeks will be made up in the period that was set aside for the Copa America, meaning that the League will still finish at the start of December.

Although Japan wanted to pull out of the Copa America, it now looks like they will have to take part, causing a club v country style row with teams who want their players for the J-League campaign. The people involved with the J-League think that a team comprising mainly European based players should play, but already some of the teams in Europe have expressed opposition to this.

Finally in an effort to help conserve electricity supplies, all J-League games are supposed to take place during the hours of daylight.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

About time for a catch up.

Predictably, the J-League is as unpredictable as ever this season, with newly promoted Kashiwa Reysol topping the League after 8 games. Not many people expect them to stay there, but this being the J-League you never know. Vegalta Sendai have also made a good start and are still unbeaten. Being the nearest club to the earthquake and tsunami, has brought them a lot of goodwill and support from the rest of the country and this appears to have had a positive effect on the team.

Two of the pre-season favourites Kashima Antlers and reigning champions Nagoya Grampus have made poor starts and find themselves in the bottom half of the table (Although they do have games in hand). Both teams have also been knocked out of the Asian Champions League by teams from South Korea, leaving Cerezo Osaka as Japan’s only remaining representative in the competition.

At the bottom of the League newly promoted Avispa Fukuoka have yet to get off the mark, despite reports saying they aren’t playing too badly.

Finally, in J2 its JEF United Chiba who top the standings, with pre-season favourites FC Tokyo struggling in mid table. New boys Gainare Tottori have won three games already and don’t seem to realise that new teams are supposed to finish bottom in their first year.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

With Furtho's reports of the JLeague this is our new fix.

Thanks a lot for the update.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

So this weekend is the final weekend of the J-League season. To be honest I have struggled to keep up with events this season. But it looks like once again there is an exciting climax with three teams in with a shot at the title. Surprise package Kashiwa Reysol are in the driving seat, one point ahead of Nagoya Grampus who are one point ahead of Gamba Osaka. All three teams have away fixtures, so it should make for an exciting final day.

At the other end of the table Avispa Fukuoka and Montedio Yamagata are already down and barring a miracle Ventforet Kofu will join them.

As expected FC Tokyo have run away with J2 to make an immediate return to J1. But interestingly the top four places in J2 are held by teams from each of the main islands. Sagan Tosu from Kyushu and Consadole Sapporo from Hokkaido currently occupy the other promotion spots but Tokushima Vortis could still nick third place and become the first Shikoku team to play in J1.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

It is actually surprisingly difficult to find up to date (non-Japanese) info on the J-League. Plus the fella who posts J-League goal of the month compliations on youtube hasn't updated since August

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

Where's furtho? Is he really no longer around?
                        Anyways - I'm thinking I may be in Japan in early April. Will the season have started yet? What about the Asian CL?

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

Oooh. I forgot to mention that the J League winners get to play in the World Club championship which is being played in Japan in December.

The J League and the ACL should both be underway by April although Japanese teams don't always treat the Asian Champions League as their top priority.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

That's OK. Wouldn't mind seeing a Korean team that was taking it seriously.

Are any of the J-league teams in the ACL next year from Tokyo or Kyoto (or thereabouts)?

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

The end of the season was a bit of an anticlimax in the end. Kashiwa went 2-0 up very early in their game at Urawa and finally ran out 3-1 winners to claim their first JLeague title. Grampus and Gamba both won as well. These three will all qualify for the Asian Champions League. Vegalta Sendai finished fourth and may also join them in the ACL depending on what happens in the Emperors Cup. A great result for an area badly hit by the Tohuku earthquake.

In J2 Sapporo and Sagan Tosu joined FC Tokyo in gaining promotion to J1 next year.

Antoine - of the teams in the ACL Kashiwa is in Chiba about an hour or so out of Tokyo (although the ground is a bit out of town). Gamba play in Osaka which is very easy to get to from Kyoto. Nagoya is about an hour from Kyoto. They have a lovely modern stadium but it is really difficult to get to, so they will probably play ACL games in their old stadium which is more accessible.

I would think all three are possibilities if you are prepared to do a bit of travelling. Alternatively hope that someone like Urawa or FC Tokyo win the Cup.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

Alternatively hope that someone like Urawa or FC Tokyo win the Cup.

I was right with you up to that point.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

OK, travel plans are a bit more definite. ACL games appear to be out of the question, but would like to see a match around Tokyo. Which is easiest to get to: Omiya, Kawasaki or Kashima?

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

Kashima is especially *hard* to get to. I'm a touch biased but if you have a choice of Omiya and Kawasaki, Omiya is a much better experience because we, uh, they have a soccer-specific stadium. It's compact (15,000 capacity), there's no running track and you're right next to the pitch. Even the neutrals and away fans regard it as one of the best places in Japan to watch a game. Couple that with honorary membership of the Squirrel Nation and it's a decision that makes itself really.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

I went to the Kashima stadium during WC 2002, gave myself loads of time and still didn't get there until 5 minutes after kick off.

I would say that Kawasaki is probably the easiest to get to, but is more of an athletics stadium than a soccer one (and an old one at that).

Omiya is a nice ground, but don't expect too much or you may be disappointed.

This link gives basic directions to the grounds (ie what train to catch!) and it's usually pretty straightforward to buy tickets at the stadium.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

You are my guru, Furtho-san (or is that, sensei Furtho?).

Re: Kashima - that was my impression, too.

Squirrel Nation sounds awesome (I had forgotten you were a fan, but have now gone back and read your Pitch Invasion three-parter). Are there T-shirts?

If I want to see a game at 16:00 in Omiya, how would I get there from, say, Shinjuku, and how would I get there? And do I need tickets in advance or can I buy at the gate? Game is v. Cerezo Osaka, so I assume there's no derby effect.

Edit: OK, Doraemon just answered some of those questions...cheers!

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

And is it Ar-dee-ja, or Ar-dee-ya?

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

AG, it's pronounced Ar-dee-ja, with a hard 'j' sound. For Cerezo you will be able to get tickets on the day from one of the booths at the stadium, which is now generally known by its sponsored title of NACK5 Stadium Omiya (Nack Five is a local radio station).

The maps on the site that Doraemon links to are up to date; in other words if you are sitting in the main stand - the only part of the stadium with any type of roof - the home end is to your left.

You can get merchandise at the ground or, if you have some time to spare, from the Orange Square club shop which is located just on the town side of Omiya Koen (park). A good proportion of people will walk to Orange Square from Omiya station and then on to the ground, although as the Rising Sun News article suggests it is perfectly possible to get a smaller local train from Omiya to Omiya Koen.

The maps on the club's official site may be useful, even if you can't read any Japanese. This one explains where Orange Square is; the top one on this page explains where the stadium is. Both are accessed by leaving Omiya station via the East exits. I can explain all this in far more detail if required.

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

No, all good, I think. Ta. I shall report back after I've been.

Nice looking stadium, btw. Any advice on where to sit? And do they really charge more for standing?

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

Behind the goal it looks like this season it will be Y2000 to stand and Y2500 to sit. Unless you especially want to go behind the goal with the home fans, my advice would be to go in one of the smaller blocks at the home goal end of either side.

NACK5 is something of a no-frills place and you will definitely need rainwear if the weather is bad, but it is just a great place to watch a game. Omiya allez allez!

Comment

J-League, Let's Go!

An ultras group at Fagiano Okayama reacts badly to pundit Takashi Mizunuma's prediction that the team will struggle this year.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X