Boardwalk Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boardwalk Empire

Just an incredible TV series. Produced by a lot of the same crew as The Sopranos, including Terence Winter, the best Sopranos writer, but I think they actually manage to top the Sopranos in terms of producing something quite epic and yet very sensitive and beautifully produced.

It's set in the 20s post-Prohibition and they had to recreate the entire Atlantic City boardwalk, which must have been a mammoth task. Buscemi is brilliant as the conflicted, scheming local kingpin. The central love story is masterful. Also like how they bring in some real historical characters too, like Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Rothstein etc...

Boardwalk Empire

I have the first 3 on + ready to watch.
    the thing that I'm worried about is that the episodes are really long - 75mins each and a lot of people I know who have watched it on torrent, say it really runs out of steam and gets boring around episode 6 or 7.

Comment

Boardwalk Empire

I liked it apart from the gratuitous sex scenes, which was something I hated in the Sopranos. We get that these men might have casual sex, we don't need to see a topless women jumping up and down on them.

I hope the actresses are well paid.

Comment

Boardwalk Empire

Unanimous raves in the original thread.

For me, it's dizzying how good it is. Especially when I was neither in the mood for another HBO gangster piece. However, being that the gangster is an elected official who had influence from local to state to national politics, it becomes a whole 'nother story.

Comment

Boardwalk Empire

I like it. There have been a few things that bug me, however, like the Irish widow's rapid transition from Temperance League stalwart to the kept woman of a corrupt bootlegging politician. And I think the psychopathic religious g-man is a bit over the top. But those are quibbles. It's mostly very well done.

And I'm glad U.S. TV is doing high-quality period dramas like this and Mad Men.

Deadwood is supposed to be good, too, but I haven't watched it yet.

Comment

Boardwalk Empire

And I think the psychopathic religious g-man is a bit over the top.
            Yeah, that's been said before, but, for fuck's sake, it's G.Man, upper case G, upper case M, full stop and no fucking hyphen because this bastard fascist forum doesn't allow fucking hyphens in usernames which makes my blood boil to the point of whipping myself.

Amen.

Comment

Boardwalk Empire

There are a couple of 'spoiler' type reveals about a future character, but this is extraordinary.

This is the third BE thread now. Damn the search function on this fecking board to hell. Can someone sort it out?

Comment

Boardwalk Empire

G.Man wrote:
                And I think the psychopathic religious g-man is a bit over the top.
                Yeah, that's been said before, but, for fuck's sake, it's G.Man, upper case G, upper case M, full stop and no fucking hyphen because this bastard fascist forum doesn't allow fucking hyphens in usernames which makes my blood boil to the point of whipping myself.

Amen.
                Ha ha!

Comment

Boardwalk Empire

CTT - Thanks for the first and obviously agree with the 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                  X