Anti-Hobbesing for Mac users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear Limewire is OK, but any other suggestions for downloading stuff?

I've actually started downloading lots of stuff legally recentl. iTunes store becomes rather addictive once they've got your credit card details. However, there's loads of out of print stuff which I'm wanting to track down, too,

Acquisition used to be really good, although I've not used it for a couple of years now. I think it draws on Limewire as well as a few others, so it can be a good spread bet.

Comment

Yes Limewire and Acquistion are good but similar (they're both Gnutela.) To my knowledge there still isn't a good Soul Seek emulator, you still have to go toe-to-toe with Solar Seek and beat it into submission.

Comment

There is so much difficult to find stuff on blogs these days. If you're looking for something, go to Totally Fuzzy, put in the artist of your choice, and chances are good that you'll find what you're looking for, or -- better -- find stuff you didn't even think you wanted.

Comment

A few of you have said that about things like Totally Fuzzy and Hype Machine, but they're only any good for pretty well-known stuff in my experience.

I just did a couple of quick searches for Tony Conrad (whose stuff is often difficult to get hold of) and Arthur Russell (whose stuff used to be, but has been fairly thoroughly exhumed since the internet). Nothing. Am I missing a search trick here, or is that just how it is?

Comment

I think that's how it is. They are, as G-Man says, good for stumbling across interesting stuff you didn't know you wanted. But I've had little luck with finding tracks or artists from the 60s or earlier that I was actually looking for.

Comment

Oh, I think you are very wrong on Totally Fuzzy, Not Me. Much of the stuff listed I have never heard of.

Comment

I think Totally Fuzzy is useful, but obviously not definitive, so Not Me is more right than wrong, I feel.

For instance, I used Totally Fuzzy this morning to find Patrick Cowley's 'Menergy' (in several places, actually) so 'yaayyyy!' to that. But a search for stuff by Drug Free America yields absolutely nothing. Next week it could change, of course. That's obviously just the first examples I could think of, but it illustrates the vagary of the method. It's no-one's fault - just the nature of the beast. Personally, I'm very grateful that TF exists and absolutely amazed that such a thing can be made to work at all.

Comment

TF and suchlike can be useful for finding out about new, unfamiliar or tangentially related music, PT. But as I say, whenever I search for something specific and relatively hard to come by, or even for albums rather than tracks, they come up empty. They're more like magazines than libararies, it's just the way they operate.

If anyone can find me Tony Conrad's Early Minimalism using Totally Fuzzy I'll eat my words. Plenty of results in Soulseek for that one.

Comment

Yeah, fair enough. I didn't advocate dispensing with P2P; I meant to suggest TF as a first stop (not at all clearly, obviously). When you find stuff on Fuzzy, or through their Google search engine, you'll have what you wanted fairly quickly, rather than having to queue on Soulseek.

Comment

Yeah, another advantage being that you don't get the paranoia about being caught by the file-sharing police. (Although I don's know how real they are, or if they're just as hot on the bloggers' ways of doing things.)

Comment

Not me wrote:
                        Yeah, another advantage being that you don't get the paranoia about being caught by the file-sharing police. (Although I don's know how real they are, or if they're just as hot on the bloggers' ways of doing things.)
                        Also, someone on this very board had their PC (laptop?) entirely fucked up by a particularly pesky virus-thing, which they were convinced they'd contracted through torrent-ing, only last week, didn't they? Who was that? I've forgotten.

What was particularly scary about that was that it (the virus) was even giving AVG the slip - and that's what I use. Thus, I'm staying well away from P2P-ing.

Comment

[dons cape of smugness] Ah but you see we Mac users have naturally anti-bodies that prevent us from nasty bugs like that. [removes cape of smugness]

Comment

That's true, actually.

But you don't have SoulSeek. Hah!

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                              [dons cape of smugness] Ah but you see we Mac users have naturally anti-bodies that prevent us from nasty bugs like that. [removes cape of smugness]
                              I don't want to know how naturally anti your body is, thank you!

It had to be a cape, didn't it? Bloody hippy Mac-user!

;o)

Comment

I found soulseek got really frustrating, and was something I wasn't worried about losing when I went mac.

I just trawl through mutant sounds for my random old weird findings.

Comment

Just pointing out that we Linux people have Soulseek and live in a super-duper no-virus world. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                                  X