No announcement yet.

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your most famous fans are Paul Burrell, Robbie Savage and Tim Vincent, ain't no amount of cool can fix that.

Bryn Law is a sound bloke by all accounts but I'm not reckoning on him being counted as cool.

Comment

Slightly dubious about Richard Burton, but Liz used to be a regular in the Jungle with her half bottle.

Comment

Doncaster Rovers have Louis Tomlinson, Neil Dudgeon (Midsomer Murders), John Parr (composer of St Elmo's Fire and Gillette theme song), Brian Blessed and possibly Paul Daniels. Not sure how cool any of those are, though I'd like Blessed to be our stadium announcer.

Comedian Charlie Williams played for us but I don't know if he considered himself a Rovers fan. He was from a village near Barnsley.

Comment

Google brings up a fair few pictures of him with other team's shirts, but I'm pretty sure Usain Bolt has always claimed to be a Manchester United fan.

And funny how things can change in six years: when this thread started no-one would have even considered mentioning Jeremy Corbyn for Arsenal's nomination. (I realise 'celebrity' might be stretching it a bit, but still.)

Comment

Gordon Brown is wherever cool isn’t. Same with the bass player from Coldplay (I have no idea at all what he even looks like, or any of the Other Coldplays that aren’t the New Sting cunt).

Val McDermid? That’s probably stretching cool too far, but she does seem sound.

Comment

Have we mentioned Samuel L. Jackson? Because if not, Samuel L. Fucking Jackson.

Comment

Dr Dre is Liverpool apparently. That would have been cool in 93 maybe. Pity the Wu never had a thing for Anfield. They made better claes than the Reebok/whoever made our strips in the 90’s.

Comment

dylan carlson of earth is a NUFC fan:

a fact that gives me constant delight.

Comment

Cool and celebrity County fan is a ven diagram that doesn't overlap. What's least uncool out of Eurovision and writing for the Mail?

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                      Doncaster Rovers have … possibly Paul Daniels.
                      Do you say 'possibly' because he'd be attending matches from beyond the grave?

Comment

Norwich can claim Stephen Fry – also a director – as well as the blessed Saint Delia, obviously. And Ed Balls, who's now chairman. We tend to 'absorb' our celebrity fans, it seems. Except Jake Humphrey, who I believe is also a Canary. I think the 'cool quotient' may be lacking overall, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                          Do you say 'possibly' because he'd be attending matches from beyond the grave?
                          "Now that's magic!"

Comment

Forget Black Sabbath, Mrs Doyle is a Villa fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                              What's least uncool out of Eurovision and writing for the Mail?
                              If you don't know the answer to that, then you may be on the wrong board.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                Norwich can claim Stephen Fry – also a director – as well as the blessed Saint Delia, obviously. And Ed Balls, who's now chairman. We tend to 'absorb' our celebrity fans, it seems. Except Jake Humphrey, who I believe is also a Canary. I think the 'cool quotient' may be lacking overall, of course.
                                And Hugh Jackman. Wolverine is pretty cool surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Renart View Post
                                  Wizard in Black wrote:
                                  Other celebrity Mets fans are Viggo Mortensen, Jerry Seinfeld, Belle and Sebastian, Julian Casablancas, and Jon Stewart. And Samuel Beckett apparently once watched a Mets game, utterly absorbed, as a guest of his publisher, Barney Rosset. (Insert "theater of the absurd" joke here.)
                                  Not altogether surprising about Beckett. He's the only person in history to have won a Nobel prize and played a first-class cricket match.

Comment

Added to the suspiciously long list of celebrity QPR fans is Martin Clunes. Apparently.

Comment

Crikey, I think I had heard that a few years ago Kev, but had completely forgotten. Yeah, that's pretty cool. There's a clip of him on YouTube chatting about it on Graham Norton with David Beckham – his (Hugh's) mother lived in Norwich when he was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
                                        Not altogether surprising about Beckett. He's the only person in history to have won a Nobel prize and played a first-class cricket match.
                                        And at one point used to drive a young André the Giant to school, which is one of the most gloriously bizarre factoids I know of.

Edit: Heh, I've just discovered it actually ties in with your cricket reference, too:
                                        [Beckett] bought some land in 1953 near a hamlet around 60 km (40 mi) northeast of Paris. He built a cottage for himself with the help of André's father Boris Roussimoff. When Beckett found out that Roussimoff was having trouble getting his son to school, as he did not fit on the bus, Beckett offered to drive André to school in his truck. When André recounted the drives with Beckett, he revealed that they rarely talked about anything other than cricket.
                                        Marvellous.
                                        Last edited by Various Artist; 20-10-2017, 22:01.

Comment

I've just gone through all five pages of this thread and not one of the Shrewsbury Town fans have mentioned Derek Smalls, for shame!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                            And Hugh Jackman. Wolverine is pretty cool surely.
                                            Wolverine IS pretty cool. Hugh Jackman is not.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                              If you don't know the answer to that, then you may be on the wrong board.
                                              Yeah I'm down with the Eurovision-good-Mail-bad consensus of OTF, but it's hard to suggest Daz Sampson with a straight face right after Samuel L Jackson and Dr Dre.

Comment

Here's Coolio saying how much he was looking forward to coming to Gigg for the BL9 Weekender, the festival that never was:

https://youtu.be/uPmEAKHOJKU

Comment

Working...
                                                X