Coolest Celebrity Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Nelson Mandela supports Inverurie Locos.

He doesn't really, of course. But wouldn't it be fab?

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
      The R's have both Gavin Bryars and Michael Nyman.

Which has got to give us serious cred with the earnest muso crowd.
      But Edward Elgar was a fanatical Wolves supporter.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Houdi Elbow wrote:
        Sheffield Wednesday have Jarvis Cocker and Martyn Ware.
        I've never been aware of JC actually going to a game and Martyn campaigned for Ken Bates to take over the club.
        Shows how much I know. Cross them off the list, then!

The QPR famous fan talk is making me remember that Robert Smith also claims (or once claimed) to be a fan. Once again, he probably won't qualify as "cool" to everyone, but the idea of him sitting in the stands with his rat's nest hair, eyeliner, and lipstick is highly amusing to me, at least.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Ipswich used to have Bill Werbeniuk, but now have to settle for Brian Cant, Griff Rhys Jones, film reviewer James King and many darts players (Keith Deller, Kevin "The Artist" Painter", Mervyn "The" King)

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:
          For Celtic, it has to be Paul Buchanan, co-creator (some would say chief creator) of two of the most beautiful records ever made.

If any of you ever meet him, he is astoundingly good company. But talk football instead of music.
          The same is true of Colchester United fan Steve Lamacq

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Renart wrote:
            Houdi Elbow wrote:
            Sheffield Wednesday have Jarvis Cocker and Martyn Ware.
            I've never been aware of JC actually going to a game and Martyn campaigned for Ken Bates to take over the club.
            Shows how much I know. Cross them off the list, then!

The QPR famous fan talk is making me remember that Robert Smith also claims (or once claimed) to be a fan. Once again, he probably won't qualify as "cool" to everyone, but the idea of him sitting in the stands with his rat's nest hair, eyeliner, and lipstick is highly amusing to me, at least.
            Smith knows his football and has reportedly re-organised his band's tour schedule on a couple of occasions so that he could watch the World Cup/European Championships in peace.

He was onstage in Lisbon one time and the crowd were cheering wildly. He said to them: "Thank you, I'm afraid I don't know any Portuguese -- oh hang on, I do know one word. Eusebio!"

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Ha, nice! I'm a Smith (and Cure) fan, but I know he/they rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I realize now that nobody's mentioned Mark E. Smith and Manchester City. The interview with him in WSC about his fandom is very good, for those who haven't read it.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Er Liquidatore wrote:
                Anyway, we've got some cracking additions to both of these celeb fan lists.

Steve Jones of Pistols fame
                Trevor Nelson
                Busta Rhymes (apparently)
                Some famous house DJ/producer whose name I can't remember - used to do gigs in our trophy room in the late 80s early 90s. There was a lot of space after all.
                Was it Paul Oakenfold?

Pistols Cook and Jones are Chelsea, Lydon is Arsenal. Gary Kemp is Arsenal.

Judge Jules, Pete Tong, Arsenal.

John Taylor of Duran Duran is Chelsea ...

I know of a few more if I think hard about it but most musos I know aren't into football.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

him sitting in the stands with his rat's nest hair, eyeliner, and lipstick

That reminds me: Gareth "Coochie" Chilcott at Bristol City.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Pistols Cook and Jones are Chelsea,

A pair of lads from the Bush too.

Tossers.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

MsD wrote:
                      Pistols Cook and Jones are Chelsea, Lydon is Arsenal.
                      I read somewhere that most of the royal family, other than William, are Arsenal fans (at least to the extent that they follow football, so who knows?) So the man who sang "God Save the Queen" will have something to chat about with the queen should they ever meet. Maybe she'll give him a knighthood.

In other Lydon band celebrity fan info, I know that Jah Wobble (PiL) supports Spurs.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

If we're on less annoying fans Former President of Poland Aleksander Kwasniewski is a big Arsenal fan and used to work behind the bar at the Bank of Friendship in Blackstock Road

" While studying in London during the Seventies, Aleksander Kwasniewski became a devoted Arsenal fan. He was thrilled to hear of Saturday's 2-0 thumping of Newcastle.
                        "During his recent visit to London, the Foreign Office inquired whether there was any extra-curricular activity Mr Kwasniewski might enjoy. He replied that he wanted to see the Gunners at Highbutry.
                        "The FO pointed out that Arsenal were playing away. How about Chelsea? Employing some of the more robust expressions he picked up in Britain, the president declared that no self-respecting Arsenal fan would be remotely interested in watching Chelsea."
                        Mathematician Marcus du Sautoy is an Arsenal season ticket holder

( Jim Al-Khalili is a Pompey fan)

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Renart wrote:
                            Wizard in Black wrote:
                            For non-football teams NY Yankees reign supreme, Jack Nicholson, Larry David, Mick "Mankind" Foley, Jay-Z and err Spike lee, who of course I'd place in the other thread.
                            Stanley Kubrick was a Yankees fan, but a lot of their celebrity fans are horrible: Henry Kissinger, Billy Crystal, Rudy Giuliani. And Spike Lee grew up a Mets fan, but switched when the Yankees began to be more successful, which is lame.
                            Isnt Billy Crystal a Mets fan?

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Not sure that Nigel Blackwell would be considered cool. Or a celebrity. But he'll do for us.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Crystal Mets is bad, m'kay?

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Was it Paul Oakenfold?
                                  Yeah, I think that's him.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

His recording studio in LA is called "Stamford Bridge", I don't think it's a separate actual studio though (I think it's a home studio, which often means a computer and a mixer).

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

It could be named after the battle in Yorkshire...

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

His house is on the market, incidentally, next door to aforementioned John Taylor... I guess that's the studio there ..

http://www.bergproperties.com/blog/hey-dj-british-dj-and-record-producer-paul-oakenfold-lists-his-4573-square-foot-house-on-a-1980s-rocker-filled-street-overlooking-the-hollywood-bowl-in-los-angeles-hollywood-hills-for-10m/

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Renart wrote:
                                          Stanley Kubrick was a Yankees fan, but a lot of their celebrity fans are horrible: Henry Kissinger, Billy Crystal, Rudy Giuliani
                                          Hank supports Greuther Fuerth.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Billy Idol supports Chelsea and used to be in a band of that name .. also Damon Albarn. Marco Pirroni got dragged along to a game at Chelsea, "I've never been so fucking bored in my entire life". He doesn't like football generally.

(I used to support Chelsea btw, and switched to Arsenal in the early 90s. Since when my interest has dwindled).

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

MsD wrote:
                                              I used to support Chelsea btw, and switched to Arsenal in the early 90s.
                                              That's without a shadow of a doubt the most outrageous thing you've ever posted on here...

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

David Agnew wrote:
                                                Ipswich used to have Bill Werbeniuk, but now have to settle for Brian Cant, Griff Rhys Jones, film reviewer James King and many darts players (Keith Deller, Kevin "The Artist" Painter", Mervyn "The" King)
                                                John Peel once wrote an article saying that although he'd always remain a Liverpool fan part of him (and certainly his children) regarded Portman Road as his spiritual home (as he'd lived in Suffolk for so long and he and his wife had season tickets).

Oh, and don't forget we've also got Nik Kershaw, Trevor Nunn and Sir Peter Hall, to add a bit of culture.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

Girl's prerogative (second most etc.)

I grew up in West London and was expected to support Chelsea, went to discos at St Bridge clubhouse in my teens etc. and one game, but didn't like the atmosphere or really take to the players.

Moved to Finsbury Park in the 90s and preferred the general vibe around Arsenal, also Thierry Henry and others, so got into watching it, to the point where I'd bunk off work.

Lost interest after Henry left and I'm no longer within earshot of the ground.

Anyway, outrageous, moi? I don't hold "outrageous" views at all.

Comment

Coolest Celebrity Fan

I'm disappointed. I'd hoped it was to do with a change of hair colour - from blue to red - and you just wanted to co-ordinate.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X