No announcement yet.

Commuting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can get from bed to work in a minute or so.

Comment

I've been exclusively working from home for a year and change. I don't even have a desk in our midtown office. It suits me, but it almost suits me too much. I'm finding it harder and harder to leave home for any reason. I could imagine myself becoming a full-blown hermit. So I try to make a deliberate point of going out and doing fun things at least once a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
        I've been exclusively working from home for a year and change. I don't even have a desk in our midtown office. It suits me, but it almost suits me too much. I'm finding it harder and harder to leave home for any reason. I could imagine myself becoming a full-blown hermit. So I try to make a deliberate point of going out and doing fun things at least once a month.
        Same. Before I got Tonka, I went to movies and sports a lot, but now I just like to sit with him and read or watch Netflix etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          Same. Before I got Tonka, I went to movies and sports a lot, but now I just like to sit with him and read or watch Netflix etc.
          That's my idea of a perfect evening or weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
            I can get from bed to work in a minute or so.
            Is the new pub a good gig besides that?

Comment

I go by tram which I could moan and whinge to kingdoms-come about, but it only takes ten minutes to get to work and is invaluable in getting directly to my main centre of shopping and what passes for a social life: Birmingham city centre. Without it, I have to waste a small eternity getting buses, which haven't grown in appeal for me in recent years. In fact, I hate them.

Comment

Large cities? Washington is a quarter of the size of this town.

Comment

The 3 days strike by Nothern guards next week is only really affecting me friday, I was supposed to go on the piss in Liverpool in the evening....

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                    Oh, and congrats, GO.
                    Sadly I haven't retired, Derek, I just get free travel...

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                      That's my idea of a perfect evening or weekend.
                      Yeah, but I'm starting to have mental problems, I think, because I don't talk to enough people. I think I waste time on SM because part of my brain needs to feel like it's having a real conversation and connecting to society. Social media are a really poor substitute for that, so it doesn't work. I need to actually talk to people. I've been trying to set-up coffee or lunch "dates" with friends and so forth. A little bit of that goes a long way for me, but most of my friends "don't have the time" very often. OTF is a better substitute than Facebook or twitter, but it's not quite the same. It's not that you all aren't fine people. I just think that some part of my brain is atrophying because i'm not using it enough. On the other hand, that part of my brain that makes conversation and human interaction possible was overtaxed and exhausted when I lived in a city and worked in an office.

I don't feel "lonely" so much as bored, but a particular kind of bored, that is largely subconscious.

Not sure that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2bureau View Post
                        Large cities? Washington is a quarter of the size of this town.
                        What is this referencing?

Washington is a big city by most standards. Bigger than Berlin or Barcelona.
                        https://www.worldatlas.com/citypops.htm

Comment

Not this Washington.

Comment

Home of North pop star Bryan Ferry.

Comment

My commute is still the five seconds or so that it takes me to get from bed to the sofa, but increasingly I don't really have any work to do when I get here (although the last few days have been pub quiz composition days). When I get my proofreading qualification and begin to do that, the commute will remain the same but hopefully the income will go up quite sharply.

Comment

I may be looking at going back to an hour and a bit on the train.

Comment

Working...
                                X