• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cricket World Cup thread

In (partial) defence of the ICC

Comment

Good article. I'm with you on Ireland and the other smaller teams benefitting most from regular FC games in England, India etc. That way there's regular contact with better teams, instead of just one jamboree every four years.

But that's a separate issue to the 5050 World Cup as a closed shop, surely? Indian TV can't carry the risk of India's pampered stars losing the odd game to a minnow, basically...

Comment

Well, it's not the defeat, it's the elimination that's the killer. Basically, the Selvey article has ESPN demanding 9 guaranteed Indian matches, which means a round-robin tournament, and 10 is the maximum that you can reasonably have for that.

So, it's a question of who fill the tournament. India don't want to piss off Bangladesh because they want their vote in their bloc, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and West Indies, New Zealand and England might fear that they might drop out of the top 8 and have to go through a risky qualification process. So it's rather a surprise that the ICC has gone so far as voting to allow associates the possibility to qualify in 2019.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
          Well, it's not the defeat, it's the elimination that's the killer
          In a sensible round robin (ie, one that most other major sports use), they'd have three games and would probably only be eliminated by losing two. If they're that bad, they- and the TV audience- don't deserve having to watch them play nine.

Basically, the Selvey article has ESPN demanding 9 guaranteed Indian matches, which means a round-robin tournament, and 10 is the maximum that you can reasonably have for that
          Fine, make two/four/six of them pre-qualify. Like other sports with pretensions to a 'World' Cup.

India don't want to piss off Bangladesh because they want their vote in their bloc
          Diddums. It's a trade-off; they'll now have to put up with us being pissed off instead. I expect to be joining Boyders, Porters and the boys in the pickey outside their Edgbaston hotel during the summer.

So it's rather a surprise that the ICC has gone so far as voting to allow associates the possibility to qualify in 2019
          Thanks, ICC! Now fcuk off, and shut the drawbridge behind ye.

Comment

I don't disagree in a sporting sense - although I think the weather impact in cricket means that you need more games in a group stage to get deserving teams through than you do in football, say.

What I'm saying is that the boatloads of ESPN cash make it worthwhile (except if you are an Irish fan) if it's properly invested in global development.

Comment

Anyone able to debunk this?

Comment

Hawkeye have a go...

Comment

Well, at the two points of impact the wicketkeeper's left leg also moves, - between the poster's alleged 'original' p.o.i. and the alleged 'fake' p.o.i. So he is using a different frame to assess the original p.o.i. So then the question becomes which was the real original p.o.i.?

[edit: Just read Eteienne's post. So they are saying that there is no video frame showing the exact moment of impact so a virtual impact is used. Therefore the difference in position of Akmal's leg is due to the time lag between frames, with the real p.o.i. occurring between those frames.]

I think.

Wonderful photo essay on the World Cup.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/04/cricket_passion.html

Comment

Fascinating stuff on the Tendulkar overrule, thanks chaps.

Comment

The ICC ponder a re-think on composition for 2015.

Comment

For reasons too tedious to go into now, my son Dylan was in Amsterdam this morning, so he took the opportunity to have a net with Pete. Pete got to talking about the World Cup obviously, and said some very surprising things.

The one that has stuck in my mind so far, is the evening he spent with Graeme Swann. Swann and Pete go back a long way, they shared a flat in Christchurch for one New Zealand summer in Swann's pre central contract days. Swann told Pete that he is more or less a pariah in the England set-up, and other than Jimmy Anderson, Swann doesn't speak to anyone in the England camp at all. The England camp is very factionalized at this moment and Graeme and Jimmy are a little faction on their own.

The other things he (allegedly) said, are so odd that I need to check with Pete directly before I pass them on. It could be that Dylan got the wrong end of the stick on a few things - Dylan knows his stuff but he's only eleven years old, so he might have miss-interpreted some stuff. I'm linking up with Pete at Lord's next week when Oranje play Middlesex. I'll see what I can find out.

Comment

Interesting stuff, TPC.

I may have asked this before, but are you actually Dutch, or do you "just" live there?

Comment

No I'm English but lived in Amsterdam for 23 years. About a year ago I came home, dragging my unsuspecting wife and kids with me.

I forget sometimes that they are not English, I keep telling people "we are settling back into English life." (!)

Dylan had trouble getting back into the U.K. last night because his American passport didn't have a visa stamp.

Comment

Oh dear, I wanted gossip! Come on TPC.

That suggestion that Swann is on the edge of the squad is suprising, it goes against the video diaries and pr image of Swann being a fun loving and popular member of the squad.

Comment

I'd not be surprised to hear that the dressing room has factionalised after about 4 months on tour, and I could happily accept that Swann and Anderson hang out together rather than with other people. But "pariah" does seem a bit strong given what comes out in the videos and twitter. Maybe Swann was just letting off steam with a mate after an exhausting winter.

By the way, TPC, did your kids play korfball in the Netherlands? Because there is a youth korfball team in Crewe.

Comment

It was well rumoured that the squad split into several factions around the time of the whole Pietersen/Moores fiasco, although i do recall a lot of that was supposedly to do with Flintoff and Harmison. It may still be having an effect, although it hasn't really impacted on on-field performances.

I suppose Swann's biggest problem is he speaks his mind, and even in these modern times where it's not so much Master and Servant, it still appears such characters can be ostracized.

Comment

Etienne, yes you could well be right re Swann letting off steam, I'll know more after lord's I hope.

Also more than interesting about Korfbal - the boys have played in Amsterdam, and we have been looking for more sports. Cheshire CCB want them to play three sports to help improve their LTAD. They play football for their school team (they are completely crap, but they participate which is the main thing) and we are looking for that third sport. I'll suggest it this morning.

Barndoorio, I'll try and get me some proper goss. The other stuff I heard hardly counts as 'news' - nobody likes Darren Sammi, Chris Gayle is the nicest bloke in International cricket - that sort of thing.

Comment

Link to Crewe Juniors if they are interested.

Comment

Georgeous George wrote:
                                        I suppose Swann's biggest problem is he speaks his mind, and even in these modern times where it's not so much Master and Servant, it still appears such characters can be ostracized
                                        I've just developed an earworm of Mark Butcher playing a medley including Johnny Cash's version of Personal Judas on TMS recently. Also included the Stranglers' Get a grip IIRC.

Comment

Any word from Borren, TPC?

Comment

Well, I can now admit the season has definitely started as Somerset recorded their 6th straight win in all formats of the game yesterday.

The new bowlers look to be settling in nicely now and Lewis Gregory looks very promising indeed for an 18 year old, knocking stumps out of the ground with yorkers for fun yesterday. Albeit against a poor looking Worcs side.

We shall not speak of what happened in the first two games of the season. They just didn't happen.

Comment

There is a county cricket thread y'know, barndoorio!.

ICC committee recommends qualifiers for 2015

Comment

Common sense prevails, hopefully.

You simply can't have a "World Cup" that is essentially an invitation tournament. It's a complete no-brainer. As most administrators in cricket seem (well, compared to football, anyway) quite well-educated and fair-minded chaps, I was staggered that the original proposal for 2015 was ever adopted.

It doesn't really matter if Ireland and Kenya do lose to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in the qualifiers, after all. The point is that they (and everyone else) deserve the chance.

Comment

Working...
                                                X