The Cricket World Cup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Banglawash didn't create a great impression either.

Shoaib looks pacier than I thought. Or indeed than his face would suggest.

Comment

Bangla are going to make the Super Eights ahead of my lot.

That's ok.

Comment

Jesse Ryder going very well. He had 5 ducks in 8 innings against Pakistan previously.

Comment

Shut up Tubbs.

He's on 95.

Comment

They were all right.

Great partnership between N McCullum and Styris.

Comment

NZ dominate in dead rubbers.

I don't expect WI to qualify for the Super Eights (Bangla will take "their place").

Comment

Steven Davies was promoted to open, I see. The Tolchard grandchildren will be the only people more exasperated than I am.

Comment

To make up for the fact that we are again relying on John Davison, 62, for inspiration, Cricket Canada has decided that our opening pairing will be a pair of teenagers, one of whom, Nitesh Kumar, is all of sixteen.

Somehow, I feel this won't end well.

Comment

I see Andy Flower for all his excellence in the test and T20 planning, has gone slightly mad now.

How about we chop and change the openers lots of times to make sure no experience is present.

How about we insist the opener is a wicket keeper, despite a littany of unimpressive performances from these players.

How about we pick one of the most impressive bowlers from teh test series, confirm that he looks useful in the ODI series and then not take him to the World cup. Though in Tremletts case, I'd be wheeling out his one day stats v Somerset in the 'against' column for taking him. I love that match.

And then lets keep picking Wright, who can bowl a bit and bat a bit, it's just that the 'bit' is in the same sense that W G Grace could still bowl a bit and bat a bit (if you plugged his corpse into the mains and got lucky with the timing of reanimating his limbs).

So drop Davies and Wright, have Bell open, get Hildreth, Buttler and Trego in the squad and sort it out.

Comment

I think Flower has been done over by the scheduling geniuses. All his best players are exhausted or injured.

I asked a former test player I know what Pete could best do to obtain a victory in the first game against England. He said, "Just tell him to turn up."

Comment

barndoorio, I imagine you are being a bit toung in cheek, but Trego's record against any opposition above county standard is lamentable. He's not a better option than Wright (who I agree should be dropped), while Hildreth and Buttler aren't really experienced enough. Next time for them, hopefully.

England simply don't have anyone who is a top class ODI opener (which is a very tough role, relying on being able to hit the best quick bowlers in the world over the infield, without getting out cheaply). Strauss has to play because he's the captain, which means they need to play someone who can provide the dynamism. I don't think Prior is the answer, but I don't see anyone who has a demonstrably better opening record. And Prior's record in the middle order in ODI's is terrible, so if they are going to play him then they might as well open with him.

Comment

But again, losing 6-1 to the no.1 ranked ODI nation, away, at the end of a long tour, with you're best bowling attack all missing some of the matches is not that bad a result. England should still get to the semis, at least.

Comment

The tournament that really made me sceptical of Trego incidentally was the 2009 T20 Champions League, where his batting average was 6.75 from 4 innings, strike rate 67. He bowled 8-0-60-2.

Comment

barndoorio wrote:
                              And then lets keep picking Wright, who can bowl a bit and bat a bit, it's just that the 'bit' is in the same sense that W G Grace could still bowl a bit and bat a bit (if you plugged his corpse into the mains and got lucky with the timing of reanimating his limbs).
                              Oi! From your use of "still" there, I assume you mean later in WG's career. Ahem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._G._Grace#1895:_the_.22Indian_Summer.22

Comment

Gramsci, John Davison's still playing?

He's not capable of this sort of thing anymore then?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/141278.html

Comment

Tregos done well for England Lions on is appearances for them, though what standard tha really equates to I'm not sure. I agree he was dissapointing in the foreign T20 stuff he's played in and I wouldn't really put him in the England team, though I do think he's better than Wright.

Hildreth and Buttler I do see as more realistic England prospects, though as you say with no experience I wouldn't dump them in the world cup to learn unless we had a big injury crisis.

If Buttler repeats his form this summer I'd put him in the T20 side though, he's amazing for someone so young and alot more impressive than Kieswetter, who I am not saying is unimpressive.

Hildreth can play in all forms, but must be very near the top of the Test list in particular and may not be too dissapointed about Eoin Morgans broken hand...

Comment

Michael Hussey appears to be out, which is bad news for Australia.

Comment

and bad news for Pakistans match throwing bowlers as they can't give him easy runs.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                        Gramsci, John Davison's still playing?

He's not capable of this sort of thing anymore then?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/141278.html
                                        Jesus - 17 wickets in 35 overs? I didn't know about that. He was also holder of the record for the fastest century in World Cup history (100 from 67 balls v. Windies in 2003), though I think that's since been beaten.

Yes, John Davison is playing. He briefly threatened a walkout about a month ago when the selection committee chose not to pick up two expat kiwis who have been playing for us on and off for the past couple of years (preferring, as they seem to have done, to promote a few of our U-19s), but then decided to come back for one last hurrah.

Comment

Good to see Clayton Lambert remained an assured player of spin in 2004.

Barndoorio, yes, that's basically the same assessment as I have of the Taunton tyros.

Comment

England's Irishman is out...

Comment

Think England have made a mistake not taking Cook or Keiswetter. Silly making the whole tournament last a month, but overall i'm looking forward to the World Cup. Beats moping about my football team anyway.

Comment

I had a look at the cricinfo fantasy game for this but it looks a bit of a slog (40 team changes in the group stage, and you can change your captain ahead of every game) so i can't be bothered with that.

this one looks fairly simple though and doesn't look too bad - fantasywicket. if anyone is interested, i could set up a league

Comment

I had a look at that one, and was a bit disappointed that it takes no account of strike rate for batsmen and economy rate for bowlers, but I agree that the cricinfo one looks too much hard work.

Comment

Interesting move by England in todays final warm-up match, KP opens the batting. He made 66 so seems a decent move on the face of it.
                                                    Wonder if they'll stick with this in the tournament itself.

Other good news see's Bresnan back and even Coolingwood finally having a good knock of 65 with the bat. God, i'm starting to sound like some hackneyed cricket watcher. You'd never guess I only started taking an interest in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X