Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derren Brown

Did I miss a thread?

I found his tell, which I am almost certain, he is faking.

Derren Brown

Eh?

Comment

Derren Brown

he has an unnatural reaction when he wants someone to listen.

I am a huge fan, and currently watching Friday's confidence episode. (The quiz show episode was unreal!)

Comment

Derren Brown

he has an unnatural reaction when he wants someone to listen.
        Eh?

(Sorry, is this just me? I have no idea what you mean.)

Comment

Derren Brown

ok. I just saw Fridays episode, and that was rather good. Getting family and friends there was perfect for the previously guileless 'witness'.

PM in a moment about his tell.

I like Derren Brown immensely. And if you know anything about his history with his memory and card playing) you will understand what I mean by a 'tell'.

Comment

Derren Brown

I'm still baffled.

You're not telling us accomplishes his astounding feats by doing tricks are you?

Comment

Derren Brown

Yeah, come on, this is no time for PM's. Fill us all in.

Comment

Derren Brown

He double nods his head when he wants someone to do something.

Yes, I know it was weak... but it is, however, true. (It may be an OCD thing, I am not sure)

The man is still the most fascinating/captivating person on TV.

Comment

Derren Brown

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                  I'm still baffled.

You're not telling us accomplishes his astounding feats by doing tricks are you?
                  Nah, its all smoke, mirrors and televisual tri... zzzzz

Comment

Derren Brown

He utilises that wonderful trick of TV, "do something twenty times and televise the three times it comes off".

Last week he did the one of asking two people to draw "something, anything, not a building, or a person, or anything complicated like that, just the first thing that comes into your mind".

As he said it, I thought, "I bet they both draw a cat", and bugger me if they didn't. But I bet he filmed the same trick another dozen times where he'd come across two other random Londoners, maybe ones off OTF, and one had drawn a squirrel and the other a pint of guinness.

Comment

Derren Brown

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                      He utilises that wonderful trick of TV, "do something twenty times and televise the three times it comes off".

Last week he did the one of asking two people to draw "something, anything, not a building, or a person, or anything complicated like that, just the first thing that comes into your mind".

As he said it, I thought, "I bet they both draw a cat", and bugger me if they didn't. But I bet he filmed the same trick another dozen times where he'd come across two other random Londoners, maybe ones off OTF, and one had drawn a squirrel and the other a pint of guinness.
                      Um, he's been quite open about that, specifically in the horse-racing one (where that was the whole point).

Comment

Derren Brown

The horse racing one was great because you thought "yes, of course, they're just filming the ones that worked" but then how the fuck did he get those four people to choose the exact same pictures and stand exactly where he had predicted?

Comment

Derren Brown

He talks about the nod in his autobiography: it began as a deliberate attempt to influence people, and is now an involuntary tic.

I like Derren Brown a lot, but there's a slightly hair-shirted part of me that's not quite sure about him. Something he does a lot is to use a standard conjuring technique and then claim to be using Mind Control. That's not the same as, and nowehere near as bad as, using a standard conjuring technique and claiming to be using telekinesis, or to be communing with Spirits from Beyond the Grave. But I get a bit sniffy about it in some moods, because I think it dilutes his rationalist message quite a bit.

Comment

Derren Brown

The horse racing one was great because you thought "yes, of course, they're just filming the ones that worked" but then how the fuck did he get those four people to choose the exact same pictures and stand exactly where he had predicted?
                            That's fairly typical of his MO, though. He did one where he simultaneously played a whole bunch of chess grandmasters to a draw (I think lost one of them) and then revealed he had "predicted" the number of pieces remaining on all the boards. The chess part was simple - he just played the grandmasters off each other, but the prediction thing was supposed to leave you dazzled. Unfortunately, you could tell the moment when he switched the envelope with the "prediction" in it.

Comment

Derren Brown

Of the new series I've only seen the bit where he got the girl to kill the kitten. I totally saw how he did it, regressing her to a childlike state, acting like a kind of teacher authority, leaving her alone in the room, etc, and she was obv young and suggestible and selected for that, but I was still shocked that she actually did it, that the idea of the consequence of what it was she was doing had become so separated from the action. So in that respect it was good TV.

But I really thought what he did in between that one, which was convince a guy who did gymnastics on a tightrope that he was going to fall off, was a bit awful and a bit wrong. Poor guy, will he get his confidence back after that?

Comment

Derren Brown

ast week he did the one of asking two people to draw "something, anything, not a building, or a person, or anything complicated like that, just the first thing that comes into your mind".

They weren't randoms, one of them was David Tennant. I know Tennant's a professional actor who could fake looking amazed, but presumably he wouldn't have let Brown drag him round London all day waiting for someone to draw the same picture.

Comment

Derren Brown

Eh? He got a girl to kill a kitten?

Comment

Derren Brown

You can watch it on Youtube in four parts.

Comment

Derren Brown

Is he any relation to Derren Nesbitt?

Comment

Derren Brown

Doesn't usually work like that.

Comment

Derren Brown

Maybe they're both secretly Chinese.

Comment

Derren Brown

Doesn't usually work like that.
                                            (I'm going to start using those smiley winky thingies).

Comment

Working...
                                            X