127 Hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

127 Hours

Pretty good, really. Lots of Boyle's trademark trickery - he loves a split screen, does Danny - but that didn't detract from a well told story. Beautiful long shots of the canyon area gave an indication of the glorious vastness of the place.

I wan't familiar at all with James Franco before this, but he carries what is essentially a one-man film very well. I don't suppose it'll end up in my end of year list, but I enjoyed it.

127 Hours

I really, really, want to avoid this film only because I know how it ends up (Spoiler, etc) - is it truly gruesome when he snaps his own arm of?

Comment

127 Hours

I imagine that the appeal is all in the waiting for the crunch ... as Hitchock might have it.

Personally, I can't stand the tension already, and I'm at least a month away from actually sitting down in front of the screen.

Comment

127 Hours

He doesn't snap it off, does he? I thought he cuts it off.

Tony C--Franco is a really good actor, and an interesting person. He was in Pineapple Express, played Sean Penn's partner in Milk, and I think he was a bad guy in one or more of the Spiderman movies (never saw them).

Comment

127 Hours

He's also got a novel published and he's doing a PhD at somewhere posh like Yale or somewhere. I think I lurve him a little bit.

Comment

127 Hours

I just googled him and got this wish-fulfilment gem.

Comment

127 Hours

I'd have just pulled my arm out.

Comment

127 Hours

Lyra wrote:
                He's also got a novel published and he's doing a PhD at somewhere posh like Yale or somewhere. I think I lurve him a little bit.
                He's doing graduate work at Yale, and also I think Columbia as well as some liberal arts school. He went to undergrad at UCLA, where he had some crazy workout for one quarter. I saw my undergraduate advisor recently, and he told me that James Franco took his seminar on Los Angeles history and culture (which I took as an undergrad) and after reading DJ Waldie's book Holy Land, a part memoir, part history of Lakewood, the suburb that I grew up in, Franco decided to buy the rights for the book to develop it into a film.

He also did a two-month story line on General Hospital, an American daytime soap opera. He played an artist named Franco, and the artwork shown in the episodes are pieces that he's done in real life. Here's what he wrote about being on the show as a sort of performance art. Some people find all of his other interests kind of pretentious for an actor, but I think he's fascinating.

Comment

127 Hours

I will forever like James Franco. For Freaks and Geeks (and Carlos the Dwarf).

and for this:

Comment

127 Hours

Fucking hell. 127 hours is a bit much though. Is there an interval?

Comment

Working...
                    X