Great Tits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gyp View Post
    Other highlights were barred button-quail, Javan kingisher, purple heron and black-naped monarch. All squeezed in around cocktails and lounging by the pool.
    That must've been quite the sight, gyp. What were they all drinking – piña coladas?

Comment

That's one helluva bird gyp.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        That must've been quite the sight, gyp. What were they all drinking – piña coladas?
        Heh. Well played.

Comment

Bit of a closer look at a Brush Turkey today. Typical, scavenging around the bins.

Comment

When I just opened this thread, all I could see was three bins. Then I looked a little closer above and between bins one and two, and thought 'fuck me, those turkeys are good at camouflage'.

Then scrolled down a little.

Comment

I wondered about a bit more cropping but his head is a bit out of focus and it would be more obvious.

Comment

A Rainbow Lorikeet from today's dog walk. Straight into the sun (and by me) unfortunately.

Comment

Incoming Snow Geese at sun-rise

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Incoming Snow Geese at sun-rise
                    Nice. The pink feet coming in over Trlb Towers look like that too, but I've yet to get a shot as good as that - mainly cos I'm either on my way to work in the car (Mon-Fri) or still asleep (Sat-Sun).

Comment

I'm hoping to be around with a camera when they — or the Brant Geese — leave. It's a brilliant sight. They all go together, thousands of them, the sky is dense tapestry of flying 'Vs' for about fifteen minutes. I've seen it once in the past five years. Trick is to be in the same field as they are when they decide to go, but sadly I'm not on their mailing list.

Comment

A Mew Gull (I think!) over the surf at Tofino on Monday

Comment

Very evocative geese Amor.

Comment

Young Pacific Merlin I'm pretty sure (I haven't seen one before.) Who interrupted his lunch to give me a "don't mess with me" stare.

Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 01-11-2017, 00:53.

Comment

Just been outside for a cig and perhaps 30 or 40 geese in a perfect V passed overhead heading pretty much due west. I'm assuming given the time they must be on a long journey somewhere. Anyone care to hazard a guess what they might have been and where they might be headed? I'm in Manchester.

Comment

Could be pink footed geese heading to Martin Mere.

Comment

Feeling a bit weird seeing this thread title next to the sexual harassment at Westminster one.

On topic: marsh harrier last week at Dungeness.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                    Could be pink footed geese heading to Martin Mere.
                                    Thanks. Being a bit of an idiot I meant due east not due west though!

Comment

Nice Merlin Amor.

Comment

Thanks Sits.

I've been chasing Snow Geese round the delta for several weeks — not all the time, like — but they keep moving. There were thousands in a field near the farm where we get our veggies yesterday. Went back this morning with a camera and not one. I have managed to get a lens on them in flight though (see below). I'll take another drive around tomorrow, perhaps I'll get lucky. It's frustrating because you can always hear them, but it's hard to tell exactly where they are.

Comment

Wow

Comment

A good few days to be out with a camera. Cold and sunny. After tomorrow the rain arrives so I'm trying to make the most of it (though I should be putting the garden to bed!)

Here's the ubiquitous — but tricky to photograph because they're always on the move — Black Capped Chickadee (which has almost the same latin name as the Willow Tit.)

And the extremely exotic looking Wood Duck. Female in front, Male looking sharper (in every sense) behind.

Comment

Snow geese heading South

Comment

There's been a heron perching on next door's roof recently, but it's really twitchy and I barely have to appear in view before it's off - this is the best pic I've managed so far but I shall keep trying.

Comment

That's pretty nice though. Take-off and landing provides some of the better pictures I've discovered.

Comment

It's a great picture. A heron's ungainly efforts to take to the air is one of my favourite sights in the bird world.

In Hulme car park news I've been wondering today what on earth a grey wagtail is doing here. They're not uncommon on the Mersey 3 miles or so away and they may also venture to the Irwell which is closer but I've never seen one this far from water before.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X