Great Tits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Tits

At least I think that's what they are, feeding on the fat ball I've got in the bird feeder in the back garden. Bit hard to tell them from blue tits.

Those fat balls are magic, though. They attract tits, finches and other assorted small birds like a charm.

I try not to think too much about what's gone into them.

Great Tits

How very singular.

Blah, fucking Bill Oddie, blah, and indeed BLAH.

That looks like a gold finch, and I know nothing, so will be sorted out by everyone...and the lock on its foot, makes it 'caught', and tits are faster than than caught (without a net... dont ask)

Comment

Great Tits

Nah, that's a Great Tit, gero.

Here's a Goldfinch:

Comment

Great Tits

well, fuck my old boots, I AM colour blind.

I thought they were they same... ah shit, I am currently following a little couple of tits, and they are continuously eating near my window (outside, arms length), so they are like ... sparrows?

Comment

Great Tits

fuck it... I am off oop north, I will look for any of the above.

Comment

Great Tits

Comment

Great Tits

I saw a policeman with a bird on his shoulder, with dark markings and a long tail like that ... I think it was a telltale tit.

Comment

Great Tits

Tits like coconuts!

Sparrows, though, prefer breadcrumbs.

Good night.

Comment

Great Tits

The extremely cold weather brings all sorts of rarer burds (as opposed to fairly common tits, dunnocks, finches etc) into our back garden:

this year we have had fieldfares and an incredible appearance by a woodcock, which we thought was a rat it was so big.

Last year we got a redwing too, but not spotted so far this year.

Comment

Great Tits

Felicidad, supongo wrote:
                    an incredible appearance by a woodcock, which we thought was a rat it was so big.
                    I would imagine the wings gave it away?

Comment

Great Tits

Felicidad, supongo wrote:
                      The extremely cold weather brings all sorts of rarer burds (as opposed to fairly common tits, dunnocks, finches etc) into our back garden
                      Yes, we've noticed this, too. Up until this winter we'd never noticed any goldfinches in our back garden.

Comment

Great Tits

Just before Chrismas we had parrots coming into our garden in the midst of all that snow.

Comment

Great Tits

Are you sure that they weren't parakeets, Andy? There's thousands of them in the SW London/North Surrey area.

Comment

Great Tits

Yes, that's what they are although I'm not sure of the distinction - I've always had the vague notion that parakeets were a subset of parrots. And there are indeed quite a lot who have set up home near us - in the trees around Esher Rugby Club especially. But we don't often get them in our garden, and the sight of them close-up in the snow seemed rather bizarre.

Comment

Great Tits

I've always had the vague notion that parakeets were a subset of parrots
                              Yep, that's correct. Budgerigars, parakeets, macaws, cockatoos, etc - all different types of parrot.

Comment

Great Tits

Comment

Great Tits

I think you'll find that's a Parrott.

Comment

Great Tits

I wouldn't want that pecking at my fat balls.

Comment

Great Tits

Comment

Great Tits

I'm glad this isn't the sort of message board where someone would make the joke about having seen a cockatoo.

Comment

Great Tits

If you would like to entice Goldfinches into your garden then put some Niger/Nyjer seeds in a feeder and you will get flocks of them to visit.

Comment

Great Tits

Our 'outside' cat died this year so I've been able to put up feeders at this house for the first time. Loads of chickadees (tits), fox sparrows, house finches. A few nuthatches, and both of the smaller local woodpeckers (we've a forest across the road.) Pecking up the leavings underneath are juncos, the odd wren or two, and a very determined varied thrush. Oddly there have been no robins, house sparrows or starlings (of course the last two we can do without 'cos they're bleeding immigrants and shouldn't be sponging of the local wildlife anyway.)

Comment

Great Tits

I had half a dozen of these fellas in my garden yesyerday, feeding on the seeds of a tree. I've never seen them in the garden before.

We do get a lot of rainbow lorikeets and Sulphur Crested Cockatoos around here and the local park always has a few Galah's grazing.

If we could get rid of the f*cking Indian Mynajhs, some of the smaller birds might come back. 10 years ago we used to get these beautiful little guys in the garden all the time:

Comment

Great Tits

sw2boro wrote:
                                                I'm glad this isn't the sort of message board where someone would make the joke about having seen a cockatoo.
                                                wanna bet?

those buggers (below, willie, magnif picture by the way) are and I just read your post, galah's.

Oh well, back to Skulking Bill Oddie.

(I do feed seagulls on my window ledge every day, but I suspect if I take a picture, one of you buggers will call them crested cormorants! (They are in fact 'lesser piss-taken, flying ducks' and they eat anything you give them. My dog wants to eat them, but she can fuck off. My other half wants to fry them a la ... oh I cant remember: chirungirita (major SIC... cafe on the beach that sells fried sardines...) style (or something, and he should fuck off also).

and I am leaving my brackets, open...

Comment

Great Tits

That latter picture is rather wonderful Willie... one of yours?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X