The darts on Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The darts on Sky

It's about to get started now. If it goes to 7-6 it'll be on 'til 11.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Although possibly not (such a late finish) at this pace. Astonishing darts from both men. Taylor checks out from 170 to take the second leg, MVG from 140 to take the decisive 5th. Only one 180 in the set yet they've played 5 legs in 15 minutes flat.

Comment

The darts on Sky

The Power

Comment

The darts on Sky

That was the darts equivalent of the 1983 FA Cup final, with everything after 4-4 the replay.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Terrific final. Although watching the darts with German commentary was an odd experience. Denglish at its zenith.

"Also, dreifach sechzehn! Tops!"

Comment

The darts on Sky

Has Roger Federer ever played at 11.30pm at night in a last-32 match?' Well, I imagine he has because Federer is a superb athlete who excels in a cruelly demanding and utterly authentic sport.
              Don't know about Federer specifically but it isn't uncommon at the Australian Open particularly for players to be playing until about 2:00 in the morning, and some games have gone far later than that.

Sadly I missed the PDC final as I was on holiday but it sounded absorbing.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Collins is half right. Taylor is not great in the way that Wiggins, Botham or Coe are great. However, the game requires a bit more than a "pub game" expertise. Does anyone claim that archery, where the skills are similar, is not a sport?

I think tennis players are as fit as a sportsperson can be. You don't get 15 minute breaks and you might be playing for 6 hours in 100 degrees, yet still whacking the ball with incredible force. It would be interesting to know how many miles Federer covers in a game, albeit not as many as Xavi.

Comment

The darts on Sky

The darts on the BBC are piss-poor, aren't they? Commentary, camera-work everything. The BBC really has gone to shit in every way.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Haven't seen any yet. I wonder if ESPN make a better job of their broadcasts, though I'm sure they'll have the same camera angles.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Bryaniek wrote: The darts on the BBC are piss-poor, aren't they? Commentary, camera-work everything. The BBC really has gone to shit in every way.
                      No different to how it was in the 80's. That's the problem.

Comment

The darts on Sky

I watched the BDO for about an hour today before the first 180 was hit. The standard is awful when you're used to the proper darts. At least Adams is out.

Comment

The darts on Sky

The BDO will always suffer by comparison with the PDC in the opening few days because the last PDC match you see is the final, with the two best players playing at the peak of their game - which is always going to be much higher in quality than the opening round of any tournament, where you have rookies and nervous qualifers, and even the top players will take a bit of time before they really hit their stride.

There's no doubt that the PDC has stronger players overall, but I'd say it's also true that if you were to watch the first round of the PDC championship straight after the BDO final you'd see a drop off in quality there too.

The BBC coverage is clearly not as slick as Sky's, but it does have one thing going for it that I'm surprised Sky haven't adopted - on the score display they have a running total of a player's score as he's throwing his darts. I really like that.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Barney threw a 108 average in the PDC first round, there was some excellent darts. Kim Huybrechts averaged 99 and lost, even the first round of the PDC features a lot of high quality darts.

Of the 13 matches to have taken place at the Lakeside so far, only two players have scraped their average above 90. Compared to roughly half in the PDC first round.

The two games I saw were the end of Adams-Hendriks and all of Mitchell-Barilli. They were both absolutely appalling. Admittedly, looking at the averages not all the BDO games have been that bad, but then they're hardly unique either.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Michael van Gerwen smashes Taylor (well, wins 10-8) in the Premier League Final after being 5-2 down at one point.

Great to see that ungracious scumbag Taylor toppled in what was an epic match.

Comment

The darts on Sky

I was sitting in the pub after dancing, intending to read the Harry O, but the darts was just too good to miss. Great stuff from George Dawes...

Comment

The darts on Sky

he reminds me more of another Reeves & Mortimer related chap;

"dancing"?

Comment

The darts on Sky

Dancing.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Asking?

Comment

The darts on Sky

Ballroom. We've been doing it for about five years; I'm sure I've mentioned it somewhere along the way.

I'd highly recommend it, by the way.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Just off to the All Pally in a minute for my first experience of live top class darts. Seeing van Gerwen & Whitlock and not Taylor so happy with that.

In a rather unfortunate bit of planning, tomorrow is my wedding anniversary so will hopefully not get too carried away.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Taylor's out! And in the last 32, as well.

That instantly increases my interest in the rest of the championship by 50%, making it (as it does) a much more open field.

Comment

The darts on Sky

I remember sitting in a friend's house nearly 15 years ago, watching van Barneveld beating Ronnie Baxter in the BDO world final. Last night I watched him edge past Jamie Caven and it struck me that he looks almost exactly the same as he did in 1999.

Comment

The darts on Sky

I hate Kevin Painter.

And I once played Jelle Klaasen at billiards. He kicked my arse. In my defence, I am used to tables with holes.

Comment

The darts on Sky

I watched ten minutes of this earlier during half time of the Arse -Chelsea game and it just looked like the darts was pretty much providing some background to a massive piss up.

Weird sport.

Comment

The darts on Sky

Comment

Working...
                                                    X