Bo Diddley RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bo Diddley RIP

Man, this is fucked. Who Do You Love, Roadrunner & the early 70s funky shit getting played loud tonight. THAT beat Bo pioneered was one hell of a creation. The Stones. The Monks. The Fall. A whole heap of great music owes alot to Bo. And the first five seconds of 'Roadrunner' is still some of the ugliest noise a rock'n'roll tune ever contained.

Bo Diddley RIP

Bo Deadly, surely?

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Damn, this is sad. I was lucky enough to see Bo Diddley in 1996 (maybe it was 1997), and it was hands down the loudest, most brash show I've ever heard. His daughter was playing the drums, and I felt like I was being punched in the chest with the combination of her and his guitar. It was great.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Absolutely the MAN. If he could have patented that beat he would have been the richest man in the world. I even have a Soft Machine tape where they play around that riff. And, as Inca says, a great live show too.

Rock'n'Roll has lost one of its founding fathers. I bet there is a hell of a jam going on upstairs.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

I'd be slightly miffed if I was turned into jam after I died. Well I wouldn't, I'd be dead, but it's at least as plausible that a collection of dead rock musicians are jamming away in some sort of heaven.

I'll stop now.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Oh God.

My first Rock 'n' Roll hero. At 15 the leap in consciousness from top twenty pop to Bo was more powerful, more transcendent than than any of the acid/mescalin times to come.

Rock on Killer Diller.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

I saw him play briefly on the Old Main lawn during the Central Pennsyvlania Festival of the Arts when I was a teenager. It was not the right venue. The arts festival crowd is aging hippies, people with kids and students looking to just lie on the grass and veg out in front of some folk-pop or third-rate reggae. I left after a while because I was stuck in the way back and couldn't hear him. The sound system was shit. I think if he'd been playing in a small bar with people who appreciate proper rock n roll, it would have been great.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Yep, the old gunslinger has met his match.

Often imitatated, never bettered.

RIP.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

He truly rocked -- saw him in small basement club in 1984 - no opening act, played for almost 3 hrs. Wall of noise, crowd went apeshit.

One of a kind - R.I.P.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Oh fuck.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Bo Deadly, surely?
                      I believe the correct thread title under the circumstances is Diddley's Quit.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

turn up v v v v loud

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Absolutely the MAN.
                            No other words necessary.

Other than;

I got a brand new house on the roadside,
                            Made outta rattlesnake hide,
                            I got a brand new chimney laid on top, made outta a human skull,
                            Now come on, take a little walk with me Eileen, and tell me Who Do You love?

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

He's Bo Diddley not Kevin Rowland and she's Arlene, not Eileen.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Nah, he's definitely singing "Eileen" there, isn't he?

Bearing in mind that that and "Irene" were not especially distinct as names in 'ver Deep South.

(see also; Blind Willie McTell was initially buried as "Willie McTier"...)

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Nope scroll down to track 15. She's mentioned by name in at least one other song of his too [furrows brow.]

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

I wouldn't take the site as definitive But if it's clearer in another song that probably does clinch it for you.

Still, whatever about the line I (mis)quoted, I simply can't hear the "... took me by the hand" verse as "Arlene". It just isn't what he's singing, to my ear, whatever the words he's thinking when he sings are...

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

She is mentioned three times in the song though. Still I guess you hear what your ears tell you.

Comment

Bo Diddley RIP

Last night one of the local NPR stations from the Ute Reservation played two live tracks as a tribute. Feral doesn't come close. Taking this guy on tour with you was either very brave or a sign of supreme confidence. What a performer!

Comment

Working...
                                        X