Calling occupants of interplanetary craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a machine designed to smash together the smallest possible quantities of matter
    Not technically true.

Comment

Matej wrote:
      Who was it that mentioned that when first contact comes, they'll only come to steal all our water and atmosphere, barely even noticing that we were here at all.
      Stephen Hawking is of the opinion that we shouldn't be too keen to contact aliens.

Comment

You mean if we sent a probe to Proxima Centauri it would only take 2100 years to get there? Why don't we do that then?

Comment

exactly Bryan... why dont we send a probe which will reach the outer limits of the solar system in the meantime?

I like my t'chips without piss, thanks.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
            Matej wrote:
            Who was it that mentioned that when first contact comes, they'll only come to steal all our water and atmosphere, barely even noticing that we were here at all.
            Stephen Hawking is of the opinion that we shouldn't be too keen to contact aliens.
            The author of that article wrote that alien's could be so powerful that "we would be the Stoke to their Chelsea." Somebody wrote in the comments section: "Earth's last hope: the Delap long throw." Tea on keyboard moment.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote:
              exactly Bryan... why dont we send a probe which will reach the outer limits of the solar system in the meantime?

Well it would reach there along the way. Perhaps our probes should be designed with a final destination somewhere 2,000 years away and durability to make it that far and transmit. Why not? We have the technology now to do it. Whose to say we still will in 2,000 years? Our ancestors might still be able to receive the signal.

Comment

If the average life-cycle of a Sun-type star is about 10 billion years, from formation to supernova/burnout, some of those most distant galaxies Hubble is photographing are quite literally not there anymore, aren't they? Most if not all of the stars in them will have "died", and the material from those deaths may well have either formed new stars, or collapsed into black holes, or done something new we've not had the chance to observe yet?

Comment

Yep. That's exactly right.
                  Cool, innit?

Comment

Bryaniesta wrote:
                    Gerontophile wrote:

Well it would reach there along the way. Perhaps our probes should be designed with a final destination somewhere 2,000 years away and durability to make it that far and transmit. Why not? We have the technology now to do it. Whose to say we still will in 2,000 years? Our ancestors might still be able to receive the signal.
                    Sorry Bryan, I thought for a second that you were being ... whatever.

If we dont do whatever, which involves whatever, now, then we will be too busy to realise when we are overrun by our soon-to-be squirrel overlords.

Seriously, we/they should spend our money on getting the fuck out of here, to elsewhere, or at least, try.

Comment

Rogin, even more so. The earliest stars were much bigger and brighter than the sun, and burned correspondingly faster. Astronomers reckon our Sun is a third generation star, ie its formed from the debris of a supernova(or supernovae), which was itself the formed from the debris of an earlier generation.

Comment

Aliens aren't going to come here while this sort of thing is going out into space

Comment

How cool is Voyager?! I was ten when they were launched and was enthralled by the idea of them. Vger and Star Trek just made it more so...Here's the official Voyager website http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/
                          Check out the distance counter on the righ hand side

Comment

(Off subject, but I've just met a new expression from BoE's link: 'to get owned' - meaning to get hit, apparently. Has that been round for a long time? I'm a bit out of what slang's being used in Britain these days ...)

As you were.

Comment

I think it is related to the equally inexplicable "getting pwned" which one of the kids on here will probably explain to us.

I don't think that getting owned means just getting hit. I think it means getting shown up by someone like this

The thing is with Jeremy Kyle, I have nothing against most of the people who appear on there as they obviously had no chance of their lives ending up as anything other than truly dysfunctional.

It's Kyle, his producers and the middle class voyeurs who watch it that I have issues with. It's a cliche but it's just grotesque freakshow except Kyle tried to dress it up as helping people

Comment

"pwned" is a corruption of "owned" that has taken on a life of its own (heh) on the internets and become massively more common than its predecessor.

"owned" means/meant to be completely dominated or shown up, whether in a fight, argument, sporting event, card game, whatevah.

Comment

I would like to think it al derived from this classic video game oddity:

It certainly led to a wider appeal in possession being considered domination of an opponent.

Comment

Wiki claims that it originated with hackers "owning" networks.

Plausible, though one can never be certain about these things.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen the original "all your base are belong to us" before.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: All of which reminds me that we're finally leaving the Solar System...
                                      Nearly there...

Comment

Me Hungy!

Comment

Gerontophile wrote

'we'? thats some serious broadband you have GO.
                                          While 30 years have passed for us on Earth, for GO on Voyager it is merely 5 years ago that Emlyn Hughes was leading Rotherham out in Division Two.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: All of which reminds me that we're finally leaving the Solar System...
                                            The thing I find most incredible in that - and it's not that I don't find all the rest incredible - is this:

Sustained by their radioactive power packs, the probes' instruments continue to function well and return data to Earth, although the vast distance between them and Earth means a radio message now has a travel time of about 16 hours.
                                            I mean bloody hell. It's really quite a long way away. Only 16 hours? The very least I can say is that the Argentine postal service could learn a thing or two from Voyager.

Comment

Voyager: is it or isn't it?

Comment

wow. just, wow.

Comment

In terms of contacting other civilisations. We might not be able to, but our machines might.

Rendezvous with Rama covered this, but the other way around.

Comment

While 30 years have passed for us on Earth, for GO on Voyager it is merely 5 years ago that Emlyn Hughes was leading Rotherham out in Division Two.

Emlyn Hughes's voice was such that it didn't need a signal from a satellite to reach supposed civilisations beyond our solar system.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X