Calling occupants of interplanetary craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certainly seems to have passed the Heliopause. NASA are waiting for a change in the orientation of the magnetic fields, I believe before they'l commit to Voyager 1 being in outer space.

Its funny because originally, it was seen as a mistake re-routing Voyager 1 to look at Titan which sent it out of the plain of the ecliptic and thus prevented it carrying on it's mission to the outer planets.
    Now I suspect they're very happy indeed they did so. Voyager 2 (which was oddly launched first) carried on to the outer planets and is a fair way further in than 1.
    Even if 1 hasn't left yet, it's got another 10-15 years to achieve it before the power fails.

Comment

It is amazing that early to mid 70s tech is still going despite the radiation and extreme cold 36 years later.
      They make 'em right do NASA.
      (See Spirit and Opportunity for more recent examples.)

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Voyager: is it or isn't it?
        Will that bald lass be along soon?

Comment

Even more nearly there.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere--correct me if I'm wrong--that Voyager 1 is transmitting at only 40W.

I'm still amazed something with the power of a bedside lamp can be picked up from that distance.

Comment

(See Spirit and Opportunity for more recent examples.)
              The Opportunity rover is still working. Absolutely incredible.

I'm still amazed something with the power of a bedside lamp can be picked up from that distance.
              Yep, I remember being amazed by something similar when I read that the Murdoch satellite TV is broadcast using 10 watts of power. Those little dishes on peoples houses are picking up a 10 watt signal from space.

Comment

If Voyager's 17 light-hours away, what about the Oort cloud? It can't have reached that yet.

Comment

Not for about 14000 years (to get past it, anyway.)

Comment

Finally. Brings a lump to the throat.

Comment

New lease of life.

Comment

Oh great, I didn't realise they were even still in touch with V_ger.

So imagine for a moment I'm an ignoramus. I assume once those thrusters run out it will still be moving, right? So won't it continue sending back signals too? Or will it have no power left to do so?

Comment

On the topic of sending probes out into the great beyond, the cost of the New Horizons mission is about $700m. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a bargain to me.

Comment

Well on mother earth you need power to transmit a signal via a transmitter and amplifier. So, unless NASA have unearthed some alien technology they've kept from us I assume that once the power runs out that's it from a signal point of view.

I often wonder how long it takes for the signals to travel between craft and earth station, mind

Comment

Just under 20 hours (each way) for Voyager 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                Oh great, I didn't realise they were even still in touch with V_ger.

So imagine for a moment I'm an ignoramus. I assume once those thrusters run out it will still be moving, right? So won't it continue sending back signals too? Or will it have no power left to do so?
                                They need the boosters to keep it lined up with Earth. Obviously the further away it is, the wider the signal spreads and the harder it is to pick up. The more accurately you can point the probe the better it is.
                                The signal is powered by the radioisotope thermoelectric generators on board. Basically little tubs of radioactive isotopes that create heat which is turned to electricity.

Comment

Right, so let's say that when the 2-3 years end, it's on a nice straight, predictable course i.e. they have a "line" to it. What pushes it off line? Distant gravitational pulls? Are there objects in interstellar space i.e. between solar systems, or are they all orbiting something?

You might have worked out, I know absolutely nothing about all this, except I remember Voyager 1 launching.

Comment

I presume it's to do with the Earth's movement

Comment

All sorts. Dust, gas, micrometeors. Also, the Earth moves quite a bit too.
                                      The RTGs also have a limited lifespan. NASA have already turned off almost everything to prolong Voyager's life. Using these boosters merely extends the time it can talk to us. Eventually it'll go silent. It'll still be out there somewhere though, taking readings it can never send home.

Comment

Thanks.

And one day something might find it, and maybe hear the Bach.

Comment

There was a Storyville on the two Voyager probes - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...tellar-journey

For those without access to iPlayer and who want to see it, PM me.

Comment

Not prone to affection for objects but this one, i do have some for it...what a splendid little device

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                              The signal is powered by the radioisotope thermoelectric generators on board. Basically little tubs of radioactive isotopes that create heat which is turned to electricity.
                                              Shit, I was really hoping that is was a secret alien technology that NASA was keeping from us.

Comment

They use Plutonium-238. It is a byproduct when developing nuclear weapons. NASA are actually running out of the stuff. It's their biggest problem as far as future deep space probes are concerned.

Comment

NASA's unmanned programme is really extraordinary. The Scale of their technical achievements, and the sheer amount of scientific research they have produced for such a relatively small amount of money is astonishing. It throws the massive waste associated with the manned aspect into such stark relief. They should just give NASA money and let it decide what to do with it.

Comment

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, revolving at 900 miles an hour.
                                                    It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned, a Sun, that is the source of all our power.
                                                    The Sun, and you and me, and all the stars that you can see, are moving at a million miles a day..

Comment

Working...
                                                    X