Hot goth action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot goth action

Right... I've mentioned this to one or two other OTF Music people by email, but now it's time to go public.

Thing is, I've got the chance to do a bit of DJing at the local... at the local Goth club. There, I said it. It's called 'The Dark Side of the Lune'. Do you see what they've done there?. Yes, I go quite often. No, I don't goth up for the occassion.

Trouble is, they do like their cyber-dance a bit too much, so having ingratiated myself with the Head Goth I thought I could loosen up their corset strings a bit with something more electro-poppy. I slung together a mix with casual abandon deploying my mad Traktor skilllz including stuff like Presets, Cut Copy & Crystal Castles, thinking all that would fit in well with their digital detachment and 80's pop bent. Unfortunately the Head Goth said it was a bit too dancey and sent me off to make a more Goth-friendly comp. Which sort of left me stranded, because the whole point was not to end up playing the hardkore darkwave cyber that they have a pronounced tendency to overindulge us with.

Sorry. Rambling.

One group that Head Goth and I agree are perfect for the DSotL nights are Ladytron, so I'm after something in that vein (ha! 'vein', très goth) - sinister, broody electro, ideally sung in sullen monotone by women (or men, for that matter) in patent leather corsets wearing bright red lipstick. Nothing too 'indie'. Nothing too happy. And nothing by Australian new-rave bands, however much the vocals sound like Robert Smith or Billy Mackenzie. Something a bit saucy, a bit dirty. Goths love a bit of smut. Doesn't have to fit the goth jigsaw perfectly, but it's got to have the mood. New blood, to sweep away the rusty cybercobwebs choking the dancefloor. New releases, stuff that passes under the Pitchfork radar. Except Flykkiller, who are shit. Links to blogs, online playlists and Myspace pages gratefully accepted.

The long term objective is that after a couple of sets toeing the goth line (and they'll hunt me at midnight and suck my blood if I transgress, oh yes), I'll have proved my worth to the Cabal and be allowed to play all the stuff I really want. I am out on a bit of a limb at first, though - last time I DJ'd I was wearing 24" flares and playing Happy Mondays mixes at Madchester nights.

(That was in 2005. Ha ha.)

But I've still got it! Oh yeah, I'll show them. They'll be laughing on the other side of their flourescent jewellery by the time I've finished. If they know how to laugh. Fuck it, I'll make them laugh.

Hot goth action

Blimey, KM!

I may have to wait until I get home to answer this in full, but just for starters:

Two Myspace pages for Vive la Fete:

Official

Unofficial

'Noir Desir' and 'Nuit Blanche' are two of my favourites by them. I think it's 'Noir Desir' that has got a fantastic ending, so listen to it all the way through. :-)

The so-called mental block that goths have with anything vaguely electropop or dancey (unless rubberstamped by Trent Reznor) is, of course, hugely frustrating for me. The only reason Ladytron get inside their radar is that they use the word 'Witch' in one of their album titles!

Anyway, I'll either try to think of a list of possible suggestions or even make a compilation to 'care & share' over the next few days. How long is it 'til you play again?

Comment

Hot goth action

Oh - and the Robots In Disguise that I mentioned earlier on were the girls who played 'the Goth chicks' on The Mighty Boosh, so they might be good for seeing how many of the clubbers were a) paying attention, and b) have a sense of humour.

Comment

Hot goth action

Is the Dark Side of the Lune the same as The Dark Place? But with a different name?

I went there once and was disgusted by what I saw.

Comment

Hot goth action

Ah, no. Schoolboy error. The Dark Place plays yer rock and metal, with a bit of goth thrown in. In case things get to cheery, like. And anyway, only about three people go to it these days. It's mang, daddy-o. DSotL is the place to be.

What was it that so disgusted you, by the way? Were people cavorting in a licentious manner?

Comment

Hot goth action

I'd rather not go in to it. It scarred me in a 'something nasty in the woodshed' kind of way. Even typing about it now has me convulsing in fits of terror. I mean, how was I to know my clothes weren't sufficiently dark for the Dark Place? I glowed up under the UV like a purple popsicle. It was humiliating.

Comment

Hot goth action

So, given it's called 'Dark Side Of The Lune', I can only assume it's held in Skerton. Possibly in the Conservative Club on Lune Street.

That place was, and possibly still is, run by the angriest man in the world. He used to come in to Wetherspoons and terrify all the staff.

"SSSSAUSAGE CCCCCCHIPS AND BBBBEANS." He'd spit venomously, eyes and veins bulging out of his head. "ON A FUCKING HOT PLATE."

Staff would clear off the bar the minute they saw him walk in. Not me though, I'm nails.

Comment

Hot goth action

It's actually held - to the intense amusement of people who hold the works of Peter Kay in some esteem - in the Phoenix Club, round the back of Comet.

And you shouldn't be freaked out by the people you meet there. They're just normal people who like to go out, on occasion, dressed somwhat flambouyantly.

Comment

Hot goth action

Have you got any more taken since you have grown your hair?

Comment

Hot goth action

Oh aye, course it is. I used to see them there 'Goths' getting warmed up in the Yorkshire House with a couple of cheeky Jaegermeisters and/or vodka and elderflowers. Pure Goth.

Comment

Hot goth action

Except Flykkiller, who are shit.

ha.
                      diff'rent strokes and all that jazz.
                      guess i'd better keep out of this one then.

Comment

Hot goth action

Ah, no, hang on... that was my customised marke attention-grabber. In a 'failed joke' sort of way. Erm.

Comment

Hot goth action

oh ok.
                          sorry.
                          i'm just way to used to folks hating the stuff i plug.
                          got some remixes of theirs if interested.
                          been trying to have a think as to what else you could drop in as i dont really keep up with that kind of stuff, but if anything comes to mind.
                          until then some suggestions :

Radioactive Man - Double Dealing

The track on the new RM album, Growl, with Andrew Weatherall is pretty dark with a groove, (actually its perfect - just checked)

As is the stuff Keith T did with Dot Allison for the We are Science album from a few years back (ie a continuation of the Ladytron theme?)

m.e

Comment

Hot goth action

Did we ever get a report on how the Goth Bingo went?

Comment

Hot goth action

"Clickety-clickety-click..."

Comment

Hot goth action

Goth bingo never came to pass. I do hope to entertain the Cabal in the near future with goth pass the parcel, though.

Comment

Hot goth action

Do you get it like?

Comment

Hot goth action

I'm worried about your growing habit of returning to threads to try to revive your own jokes, Wyatt. It's unseemly.

Comment

Hot goth action

I'm on pills for me nehves and livin in me Jag.

Comment

Hot goth action

I got your joke, Wyatt (as a former goth AND a former bingo caller). Sorry, I should have given it a "ha ha ha" but I was in a rush.

Comment

Working...
                                        X