2011: Films of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Steel - Hugh Jackman takes Robot Wars to the next level by staging fights with remote control boxing robots.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - is it a prequel? Neil Armstrong supposedly on the "dark" side of the moon (even though you can see a crescent earth in the bacground on the trailer) digs up some baddy robots in 1969, who doubtless go on to trash, what, LA or something.

Gulliver's Travels - well, "Travel", actually, as this re-working simply has Jack Black being typically fat and inept but only in Lilliput.

The Green Lantern - the trailer for this makes Iron Man look like Hamlet .

Battle: Los Angeles - At least they've taken off the trailer that Professor Stephen Hawking has predicted that big nasty aliens are about to come down and eat us all, when of course he said absolutely nothing of the sort. Still, big nasty aliens come down and eat us all, or something.

I am looking forward to Family Guy: It's a Trap, their Return of the Jedi spoof. But it doesn't look like any of the studios' big blockbusters are going to be troubling the Academy next year ...

I'm looking forward to Joe Cornish's [he of Adam & Joe] film, Attack the Block.

Comment

It's A Trap is out already, Rogin. It's a bit better than the last one, but still not a patch on Blue Harvest.

Comment

Robot Chicken have just put out their Christmas special. Anyone know if it's a Star Wars thing again or something else?

Comment

Thor. Or else.

And Captain America. DOUBLY OR ELSE.

Comment

Natalie Portman on her role in Thor :

I signed on to do it before there was a script. And Ken, who’s amazing, who is so incredible, was like, ‘You can really help create this character‘. I got to read all of these biographies of female scientists like Rosalind Franklin who actually discovered the DNA double helix but didn’t get the credit for it. The struggles they had and the way that they thought — I was like, ‘What a great opportunity, in a very big movie that is going to be seen by a lot of people, to have a woman as a scientist’.
            I do really really hope that Ken has worked into the script a bedroom scene where Thor announces "I am Thor!" and Natalie replies "Tho am I!".

Comment

Thor trailer - looks promising until the dreaded "In 3D" comes up at the end. Fuck that, I'll be searching out a "select theatre" showing it in 2D.

http://marvel.com/videos/watch/1670/thor_trailer

Comment

I'm sorry, but that trailer is among the most pitiful I've ever seen. We're expected to turn up to watch some young semi-naked bodybuilder wrestle a magic hammer back off of the 73-year-old Sir Anthony Hopkins? Please.

Comment

Green Lantern filmed here in New Orleans, and many people I know ended up as extras. I ran into 4 of their sets, a bus in Audubon Zoo, a farmers market across the street from the Greyhound Station by the Superdome, and at a hospital.

I know, who gives a flying motherfucking fuck. But I've never lived in a place with so many shows/films being filmed.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                    I'm sorry, but that trailer is among the most pitiful I've ever seen. We're expected to turn up to watch some young semi-naked bodybuilder wrestle a magic hammer back off of the 73-year-old Sir Anthony Hopkins? Please.
                    True, there's probably a website for it already.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the Coen brothers version of True Grit. Apparently it's a new adaptation of the original book, rather than the film that won the rather average John Wayne a token sympathy Oscar. This review in today's Independent gives more detail about the film.

Comment

Working...
                      X