F1 - 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F1 - 2011

So, the Sky-ification of F1 is confirmed.

I'm guessing this allows BBC to keep a foothold in the sport whilst still making the cost savings that were obviously being demanded of it. Suspect they will drop most of the long haul GPs, with perhaps the exception of Australia and Canada?

Comment

F1 - 2011

Can't imagine they'll drop most long-haul races, as it'd just reduce coverage to a rump of European races in the summer. What I do imagine they can get rid of is the dull low-key races in Europe (Valencia most obviously), those that clash with other BBC events (Germany and Hungary are provisionally scheduled during next year's Olympics) and those that require a huge amount of effort (China where working visas are expensive and difficult to obtain, Korea where the circuit is in the middle of nowhere)

Bit puzzled by Sky's commercial rationale for buying F1 coverage. Not sure how easy or reliable online feeds of the sport are, but I expect a lot of fans will take their chances with that rather than paying for Sky simply for the 10 non-BBC races.

Comment

F1 - 2011

I can see where you're coming from, but many of the European races are at tracks that traditionally produce good races. Admittedly that goes for Brazil too, but Bahrain (if reinstated) looks a good one to miss, Singapore is visually stunning but not always enthralling, India is as yet unproven and Malaysia has really only been spectacular because of the capricious weather.

If I had to pick 10 for BBC next year it would be:

Australia
        Spain
        Monaco
        Canada
        GB
        Belgium
        Italy
        Japan (had forgotten this one in my initial post!)
        Abu Dhabi
        Brazil

Comment

F1 - 2011

Spain is invariably an awful race, I'd replace that with another from early in the calendar. Maybe Russia when it comes in, should be a nice time zone for TV.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Sebastian Vettel will now be World Champion if he just turns up to the next race with a deck chair, sets it up next to the podium and reads a newspaper during the race before checking at the end if Jensen Button has won or not. Or in any of the next four races after that.

It's high-octane excitement, this.

Comment

F1 - 2011

There's always the fortnightly drama of in quite what way Lewis Hamilton will be an idiot at some point in the race.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Rogin, veranda chair fan wrote:
                Sebastian Vettel will now be World Champion if he just turns up to the next race with a deck chair, sets it up next to the podium and reads a newspaper during the race before checking at the end if Jensen Button has won or not. Or in any of the next four races after that.

It's high-octane excitement, this.
                I don't understand why that's a problem.

I've said this before. It's the most exciting season for a very long time, with more overtaking moves per race than seen in whole seasons recently, with a field of incredible cars with amazing reliability, and a driver line-up including five world champions, and with two former world champions reported to be banging on the door to be allowed back in to drive.

With all of that, four drivers, have been swapping race positions, podiums and performances and been exciting to watch and extremely closely matched through the season.

Against that abundance of talent and exciting racing one other driver has stood head and shoulders above them and basically buggered off into the distance. And he's done it while retaining a refreshing air of normality at all times except when he's in his car and the, what, half an hour after he gets out of it, when he's a single minded, ruthless winning machine. Which is what he is paid to be.

I have no problem with that at all. Hats off to Sebastain Vettel I say.

And, Lewis Hamilton - keep doing what you're doing. Every driver I've loved watching over the 35+ years I've been watching has been contoversially in the thick of things at times. Too many penalties get thrown around for minor errors of judgement. Lewis's penalty yesterday was one of those.

I've loved every second of this season.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Aye. It yesterday's was silly. He's now getting drive-throughs because of who he is, not what has happened.

Massa's a fucking prick n'all.

Comment

Working...
                  X