F1 - 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F1 - 2011

'Dazzle Cars' - a new concept in gaining an advantage over your rivals!

I've taken ages to work out what was going on in those two photos of Kubica's car and now that I've worked out how the crash must have happened, it's made me go a bit cold. Horrible stuff!

My late brother was an (army) fireman for quite a long time and during that career he came across some nightmarish situations and decisions he had to make. (WARNING: gore ahead!) One that I always think of after crashes like this is when he had to attend a road crash where the driver was unconscious, bleeding heavily - life-threateningly so - from an artery in his leg (I think) and also had his right hand thoroughly embedded in the dashboard. It would have taken too long to cut away the dashboard structure and free him that way to get him to hospital in time to save him. So my brother did the only thing that he could do in a matter of seconds to free him: he instantly cut all his fingers off at the hand with a single blow of his (small) fireman's axe! ...And then he and the rest of his shift all went back to the station and ate Christmas dinner! The bloke survived, though.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Bahrain's off. I wonder what Bernie "I hate democracy" thinks of this...

Comment

F1 - 2011

Just thinking; the last race I remember being called off for political reasons was the 1968 Le Mans 24 Hour, which was postponed until September.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Well Australia was a largely boring race. Vettel in total control, Button throwing his toys out of the pram and Petrov doing a fantastic job by making the podium. Excellent drive by Sergio Perez in the Sauber only for both their cars to be disqualified.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Yeah, it was boring, wasn't it? I can only hope that Vettel returns to last year's form, so as to make things interesting.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Watching that race just made me even sadder that Kubica isn't around to make the most out of that fabulous Renault.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Well Malaysia was a lot more exciting. Fascinating to watch the DRS in use, and it was certainly more noticeable than in Australia. Some terrific scraps. Even without KERS it seems Vettel has enough in reserve to open up a significant lead over the others. Seems almost every race that Vettel gets a blinding start and then around the time of the first stop or so appears to be having some sort of "trouble", thereby the second placed car closes in only for Vettel to then recover his pace and take flag comfortably.
                Superb start by both Renaults and delighted for Heidfeld to get a podium. Alonso badly misjudged his move on Hamilton and I was surprised to learn that both of them had been penalised. There was no investigation during the race by the stewards and i'd rather wish they'd just let them get on with racing. Alonso was penalised enough by having to pit and Hamilton ballsed up to let Webber through.

Great race by Paul di Resta to stay out of trouble and get a point too.

Comment

F1 - 2011

What the fuck did Hamilton get penalised for? The stewards said it was a double-move to prevent Alonso overtaking. I watched closely - he didn't.
                  All that happened was Alonso rammed him and got away with it, while Hamilton got dropped a place.
                  If it's a racing incident, it's a racing incident. If not, penalise the right fucking driver.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Apparently the double movement happened on a couple of turns prior to Alonso hitting him. I'm not fan of Hamilton but I think it's a joke to penalise them both. Both were penalised by 30 seconds being added onto their times, but whilst Alonso didn't lose a place, Hamilton did. Frankly, I don't see why they needed to be punished further.
                    Don't think anyone saw Hamilton's blocking moves, certainly neither Coulthard and Brundle did. Have to say, i'm loving the new commentating partnership.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Although I'm much more a Hamilton fan than Alonso, the hard-done-by driver is Alonso. He misjudged something and clipped another car, it happens all the time, and is an integral part of motor racing. Alonso suffered more than Hamilton from the incident.

I might not agree with the rule about moving to prevent overtaking but, as it is in place, Hamilton was rightly penalised.

Enjoyed the race hugely. DRS is proving quite interesting, particularly when coupled with careful KERS use. Is overtaking is back in F1 at last?

Comment

F1 - 2011

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Comment

F1 - 2011

Lord, this thread is dead. Another exciting weekend. Was really worried that Perez's injuries were serious but apparently they were no more than concussion and a sprained thigh, which is a blessed relief.
                          The race itself proved more entertaining than normal for Monaco, a few gutsy overtaking manouevres, but real shame that the accident towards the end meant we couldn't see Vettel defend his lead from Alonso and Button on tyres that lasted what, nearly 60 laps? Incredible. Button drove wonderfully but any chance of improving on third was nulled by that red flag. Really can't believe Hamilton is so aggrieved at the stewards. Di Resta was rightfully punished for the same kinda move at the hairpin and i'm pleased that the stewards showed consistency at least in penalising a top driver for the same move. I didn't think Massa deliberately spoilt his qualifying lap either, and moved out of the way quickly enough. His move on Maldonado certainly was foolhardy, but you know, he's an aggressive driver and clearly frustrated at the moment.

Much as I like Vettel winning, McLaren and Ferrari need to pull their finger out. The races have been thoroughtly exciting to watch, but, China aside, the result seems the same.

Also, have to say how great Coulthard and Brundle are together commentating. Inspired move to get them together in the box.

Though having said that, neither of them seemed too sure what the rules were in regards to work being carried out on the cars during the red flag. Seems that Pirelli weren't too sure either, and are welcome to changing the rules so that tyres are not changed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91893

Comment

F1 - 2011

Bahrain's back on, apparently, with the Indian GP in December. Any other season, and I'd've wanted the German and Canadian GPs in December...

Comment

F1 - 2011

Vettel defend his lead from Alonso and Button on tyres that lasted what, nearly 60 laps? Incredible.
                              I normally expect the ones on my Megane to go for a good 18,000 miles, not 180.

Just don't get why Ecclestone thinks F1 needs to be continuously "tricked up" like the autosports equivalent of the obstacle race at a primary school sports day. If forcing cars to come into the pits three times a race (previously for fuel, now for new tyres FFS) is the only way to make the sport "exciting", it's clearly a farce to anyone but the most hoodwinked follower. Why not, I don't know, insist every driver at some point in the race has to pit, get out of his car and throw five bean bags into a bucket ten yards away before carrying on? Actually that would generate more genuine sporting tension than watching mechanics change tyres.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Rogin en la butaca wrote:
                                If forcing cars to come into the pits three times a race (previously for fuel, now for new tyres FFS) is the only way to make the sport "exciting", it's clearly a farce to anyone but the most hoodwinked follower. Why not, I don't know, insist every driver at some point in the race has to pit, get out of his car and throw five bean bags into a bucket ten yards away before carrying on? Actually that would generate more genuine sporting tension than watching mechanics change tyres.
                                I quite agree.

It's no longer racing - it's a world pitstop championship. Well, that and a championship of working out the timing of the pitstops.

I'll give it a few more races, then I might have to stop watching again for a few years.

Comment

F1 - 2011

And there you can see why this thread is dead...

I'm enjoying the racing more than I have for a good number years and I'm glad it's not just the pit stops which are responsible for it.

I think I must be watching something different from whatever it is that Rogin and evilC are watching.

I also enjoyed Lewis's drive at Monaco. A bit opportunist, yes, but it's motor racing at the highest level, not the world knitting championship. A couple of moves worked and a couple didn't. You can't have it all ways, interesting races need drivers taking a few chances. Too many penalties for my liking lately.

Comment

F1 - 2011

To elaborate on that, Monaco had three drivers within a couple of seconds on track, all with a chance of winning the race with only a few laps to go, on different pit stop strategies.

I really am watching something different from you guys aren't I?

Comment

F1 - 2011

I'm with you Tim.

Comment

F1 - 2011

Good man, that's what I like to hear.

Also glad to hear that after a quick bout of stupidity the Bahrain GP is off again.

I'm going to miss this weekend's race as I'll be on a 3-day charity bike ride from Brighton to Exeter.* McLaren desparately need a win or this season is going to end up a series of fantastic drives from Jenson and Lewis to pick up second and third place every time.

Lewis FTW.

*I'm actually driving the support vehicle, my old knees will struggle to cycle more than 30 miles in a day!

Comment

F1 - 2011

Still, this sort of thing doesn't help...

Comment

F1 - 2011

Ha! That changed quickly!

Comment

F1 - 2011

Ooh, ooh, the world's most exciting sport (TM)just got all the more exciting with all the cars, er, driving around for a bit behind a saloon car on a motorway before pulling in to a service station for a cornish pasty and a leaf through the magazines in WH Smiths.

A bit of rain didn't stop the guys on bikes at the Moto GP at Silverstone earlier on ...

Comment

F1 - 2011

Martin Brundle and David Coulthard are now twitting or whatever it's called about Red Winged Gulls and Magpies or whatever else is hopping about in the puddles on the track.

The BBC are paying Bernie Ecclestone about a thousand pounds a minute of our money to cover this and Bill Oddie's not even there.

Comment

F1 - 2011

It's been pouring non-stop for the last hour or two in Montreal. I guess there are about 3-4 more hours of daylight left...

Comment

F1 - 2011

Heh, I can clearly hear the distant roar from the cars in from my place, the noise carries well under a cloud cover.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X