Bruce Springsteen doc on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No disrespect to a fairly decent man, but this doc is so boring and pompous it's giving us a belly laugh every single minute.

All the musicians speak in slow drawls with long ellipses, with sentences composed solely of cliches.

"The thing about Born To Run.... is that for the first time ... I was singing about... what it meant .... to be a man."

"The record companies, man... they took away my money.... but they couldn't take away..... my freedom."

And it's so bloody BLOKEISH. My god I want to put eyeliner on or something. But bung it on, it's bloody hilarious.

"The thing about Born To Run.... is that for the first time ... I was singing about... what it meant .... to be a man."

ha ha..what a fanny.

Comment

Twisted Sister wrote:

ha ha..what a fanny.
      Hey! Sister! watch it! Thats the Boss talking. You know, god of rock. Writer of some of the finest songs of a generation! live performer without equal! He can fucking out manly-man any of those feather-haired wank all over the fretboard plastic pants wearing guys that you idolise!

seriously - Bruce talks quiet slowly and deliberatly. He is a man (did you hear that? MAN!) who puts thought into almost every word. Can be pretty painful sometimes. Just they way he is - not dim, just thoughful.

Comment

Am I in a minority on the board as someone who doesn't like Bruce Springsteen?

I'll qualify that: I quite rate his songwriting and I like a few of his records (Born to Run, for example, although it's overproduced).

But generally, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band just don't do it for me.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
          Am I in a minority on the board as someone who doesn't like Bruce Springsteen?
          I'd be surprised.

Comment

bovril wrote:
            Twisted Sister wrote:

ha ha..what a fanny.
            Hey! Sister! watch it! Thats the Boss talking. You know, god of rock. Writer of some of the finest songs of a generation! live performer without equal! He can fucking out manly-man any of those feather-haired wank all over the fretboard plastic pants wearing guys that you idolise!

seriously - Bruce talks quiet slowly and deliberatly. He is a man (did you hear that? MAN!) who puts thought into almost every word. Can be pretty painful sometimes. Just they way he is - not dim, just thoughful.
            God of ROCK? GOD OF ROCK?

This is the TRUE God of Rock

Comment

Twisted Sister wrote:
              bovril wrote:
              Twisted Sister wrote:

ha ha..what a fanny.

Thor?

Comment

bovril wrote:
                Twisted Sister wrote:
                bovril wrote:
                Twisted Sister wrote:

ha ha..what a fanny.

Thor?
                You know it baby.

Comment

there is no response to Thor.

A bit like the old Top Trumps card game

You have played the hand of Thor.

Comment

On Monday night I was discussing with a colleague of rock whether he thought that DIO was playing Dragon Top Trumps with Jesus in heaven.

Comment

Thor.

Brilliant!
                      Wasn't he in a band called Mammoth?
                      I seem to remember them having seven kick drums which spelled out MAMMOTH.

I remember his onstage party trick was blowing up a hot water bottle until it burst.
                      He did have eye protection on as he did it though which wasn't very metal but full marks for health and safety.

Comment

You need to see this...

Comment

Hot Water Bottle is rock and roll personified!
                          When did he decide that was a good stage trick to do in blue pants?

Comment

As the Kidz would say...

Thor>Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Thor.

Brilliant!
                              Wasn't he in a band called Mammoth?
                              I seem to remember them having seven kick drums which spelled out MAMMOTH.
                              No, that was John McCoy from Gillan and some other fat blokes from Samson and some other NWOBHM bands. Their USP was that they were wll fat

I remember his onstage party trick was blowing up a hot water bottle until it burst.
                              He did have eye protection on as he did it though which wasn't very metal but full marks for health and safety.
                              I certainly don't remember eye protection when I say him at the Lyceum. There are a couple of pics here without.

"Notice Thor's manly moustache!"

Actually I notice, in a very ungallant way, that his wife Pantera isn't as attractive as I found her then. I must have been led astray by her other 'charms'

Comment

Madness
                                THOR's Sportswear Company To Outfit Vancouver Giants Hockey Team

Hot Flashes

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 19:05:13 EST

THOR and his sportswear company VM Sports Ltd., in association with the Vancouver Giants, have
                                manufactured authentic Vancouver Millionaires uniforms for the Giants hockey team to wear on the ice this Friday, November 21st for a World Hockey League (WHL) game in front of 15,000 fans at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver.
                                1915 Stanley Cup superstars Cyclone Taylor along with team mates Frank and Lester Patrick must be smiling down from the heavens - this will be one of the most historically important sporting events ever to play-out in
                                Vancouver. Music for the opening celebration will (in part) be provided by Thor, including the anthemic song 'Megaton Man', and 'Are U Ready', a collaboration with fellow Canadians D.O.A.

In the area of arts and athletics, every civilization has an historic period of great accomplishments and flourishing activity. From the golden age of ancient Greece to the modern age of sports, there is a time which is judged
                                to be the best of an era. During the 20th century of hockey, a golden age of champions and innovation spawned an ice hockey team of unparalleled talent called the Vancouver Millionaires. They were the 1915 Stanley Cup Winners.
                                The only team from Vancouver to ever win the title of World Hockey Champions and hoist the cup overhead in victory.

In 1999 Jon Mikl Thor, a celebrity of bodybuilding, heavy metal music and film and television fame founded the sportswear company Vancouver Millionaires Sports Ltd. (VM Sports Ltd.). The company created a line of
                                Millionaires hockey team inspired apparel. Thor wanted to reconcile the team¹s place in Vancouver, and international, sports history with the present generation of sports fans. He trademarked the name and the Victory V logo. With the help of graphic designer Katherine Elo and historian Craig Bowlsby the company began manufacturing a new line of authentic Vancouver Millionaires sportswear. In 2008, Paul Falcon, entrepreneur, cyclist and sports consultant joined the company.

"The Vancouver Millionaires represent a pivotal point in the city¹s sports history," Falcon explains. "With the Olympics set to come to Vancouver in 2010 it is the perfect time to commemorate this great team."

On May 1, 2008, Vancouver Millionaires Sports Ltd. donated a jersey to the Cyclone Taylor display at the BC Sports Hall Of Fame. Katherine Elo, a VM Sports Ltd. founding partner is also executive director and design director.
                                Elo enthuses "After working on this project for nearly ten years it will be a dream come true to see this classic design being worn by the Vancouver Giants on the ice at Pacific Coliseum on Friday." Elo designed elements for
                                The Pump energy and health food franchise in New York, NY; International Association of Administrative Professionals in Toronto, Ontario; the Knitting Factory night club in Los Angeles, CA including a giant
                                twenty-foot poster on Hollywood Blvd.

Vancouver Millionaires Sports Ltd. is very proud and honored to join the BC Sports Hall Of Fame exhibit ³Banner Years - Hidden Hockey on display through December 31st, 2008. VM Sports Ltd. is also proud to announce their
                                upcoming associations with sportswear manufacturers Firstar, New Era Cap and Amp Merchandising. Visit VM Sports Ltd. online at www.vancouvermillionaires.com.

Jon Mikl Thor is a rock music, film and body building legend. In the 1970s Thor held the Mr. Canada and Mr. USA titles, using heavy metal music as an intensive training tool. Thor has appeared in films and on television,
                                alongside talents like Roger Corman, Adam West and Tia Carrere. Thor has repeatedly teamed-up with award winning director John Fasano and became the inspiration for a Thor the Rock Warrior comic book series illustrated by
                                acclaimed American fantasy artist Mike Hoffman. Thor¹s music career spans over 25 years, with over 20 releases. Classic Rock Magazine included him to the Top 100 Greatest Front Men of All Time. Visit Thor online at www.thorcentral.com.

Comment

Brooce's seriosity is a real deal-breaker. Muscially, he's like Meatloaf without the humour.

Comment

Well, Meatloaf clearly wasn't born to run.

Comment

Ha ha ha.

Comment

I could never be a music writer; I find it really difficult to express what I don't like about Springsteen.

LL's right about his bloody sincerity. But it's mixed with a kind of relentless, annoying hopefulness that gets on my tits as well.

Then there's the music; or more specifically the orchestration. That keyboard riff from Born in the USA – if Bruce wasn't so busy distracting us by his overwhelming earnestness, that record would just be some crappy Europop, a la The Final Countdown. And don't get me started on that saxophone player, whoever he is.

I'll defend Born to Run, but it's let down by that kind of everything-but-the-kitchen-sink production.

Could one of OTF's music sages help me out here?

Comment

This, I feel, is a fine antidote to Bruce's rampant machoism. Certainly, all these guys know how to express what it is to explore manhood

Comment

bovril wrote:
                                            Twisted Sister wrote:
                                            bovril wrote:
                                            Twisted Sister wrote:

ha ha..what a fanny.

Thor?
                                            "A little bit yeth, I think my troutherth have thrunk in the wash."

We've covered Thor before here and Springsteen's status as a poor man's Meat Loaf  here.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                                              Brooce's seriosity is a real deal-breaker. Muscially, he's like Meatloaf without the humour.
                                              Whaaaaat!

Unless you think Ealing comedies aren't funny, you just can't say songs like Spirits in the Night, Rosalita, 4th of July, Asbury Park or Growin'Up lack humour. And they're only the most obvious ones that spring to mind. Springsteen can be accused of a lot things but being po-faced isn't one of them.

But it's mixed with a kind of relentless, annoying hopefulness that gets on my tits as well.

Oh yes, hopefulness is such a worthless, negative emotion isn't it? However I'd have thought Nebraska ought to be hope-less enough for anyone.

Comment

How bleak an experience of life and hope one must have to describe the artist who recorded the Darkness On The Edge Of Town as relentlessly hopeful.

I'm not one of those who refers to Springsteen as The Boss, and there are many of his songs I atively dislike (half of Born In The USA to begin with). But to describe him as a more serious Meat Loaf is a spectacular piece of point-missing.

There is a reason why Springsteen commands such a cult: his lyrics touch a great number of people. Those people's experiences of life probably differ much from those represented here (it does from mine; that's why I don't call Springsteen "The Boss"), but his ability to do so deserves greater respect than comparing his material to Jim Steinman songs, fun though those are. And, as AdC has pointed out, Springsteen can do funny as well.

So, most of us are left with the music, and perhaps a sense of empathy with the characters he sings about. It's fair that one might not like the sound or Clarence Simmons' saxophone (I think it's a joyful sound), and one might not apply empathy to Springsteens characters. That's a subjective choice. But objections that extend beyond that ought to be better formulated than some of the uninformed comments on this thread.

Comment

Gman - I agree totally.
                                                  But, in defence of this thread. Any discussion (and I believe that most posters are being light-hearted) that encompasses not only Springsteen and Jim Steinman, but Thor as well has to be appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X