• Show
Clear All

#fivewordsbeforedeportation

"Don't bother to unpack?"

Uk Home Office tweets to ask for tips on keeping students out:

http://twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/12103528587726848

Christ!

Incredible! I've just posted that on Facebook.

I hope that makes the evening news. It's fucking scandalous!

Comment

Always amazes me this kinda monomanical thinking. Even if you hate those funny rag-heads, people should realise education is a massive export earner for the UK.

Grrr

Comment

Precisely. In my posting of the link I mentioned the damage to a key area of commerce that this is doing.

Education is still(?) an area in which Britain can be rightly proud and enjoys an international reputation. Now that's about to be turned on its head.

I look forward to the hurried removal of and apology for that tweet. (I'm not on Twitter, though, so I'll have to rely on others for that, too.)

Comment

Non eu national students are all that are keeping most irish univesities going. they pay between three and four times the amount of fees of eu nationals.

The person who put that up on twitter has completely lost their fucking mind.

Comment

Why don't they systematically destroy the education system and the students won't be attracted to it.

Ooops, too late

Comment

This is astonishing.

Comment

It's absolute madness.

What it amounts to is "Contribute your views on how we can further wreck our economy while satisfying your latent xenophobia"

Comment

As various of my twitter contacts (some of whom work for the British Council in various places) said when i forwarded it: "Hmm, that's most people in our office who are doing work which our (effective) employer is trying to sabotage from the other end"

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                    Non eu national students are all that are keeping most irish univesities going. they pay between three and four times the amount of fees of eu nationals.
                    This is a very good point too. Even when I was working at the art college 10+ years ago, the British students were then paying a (relatively small) percentage of their overall tuition fee costs, whereas the overseas students (and we had quite a lot of them for a mid-sized establishment) had to pay for all their costs in their entirety. Becaue of this, we were always told to be especially polite to the overseas students and particularly those from Hong Kong and Scandinavia, who represented the largest 'sub-cohorts'.

Comment

What a completely batshit crazy idea. What could they possibly hope to achieve, other than stampin' out learnin' altogether?

Comment

Why is this a surprise?

Here's the Home Secretary's official state to the Commons from three weeks ago.

But the majority of non-EU migrants are, in fact, students. They represent almost two thirds of the non-EU migrants entering the UK each year and we cannot reduce net migration significantly without reforming student visas.

Honourable Members might imagine that by students we mean people who come here for a few years to study at university and then go home.

But nearly half of all students coming here from abroad are actually coming to study a course below degree level and abuse is particularly common at these lower levels – a recent check of students studying at private institutions below degree level showed that a quarter could not be accounted for.

Too many students, at these lower levels, have been coming here with a view to living and working, rather than studying. We need to stop this abuse.

So, as with economic migration, we will re-focus student visas on those areas which add the greatest value and where evidence of abuse is limited.

I will shortly be launching a public consultation on student visas. I will consult on restricting entry to only those studying at degree level, but with some flexibility for Highly Trusted Sponsors to offer courses at a lower level. I will also consult on closing the Post Study route, which last year allowed some 38 thousand foreign graduates to enter the UK labour market at a time when one in ten UK graduates were unemployed.

Comment

If anything the ELT market is an even greater part of the UK economy than higher ed, so that argument is even more batshit crazy economically. Stupid stupid xenophobic cunts.

Comment

What kinds of tuition fees are common for foreign (non-EU) students in the UK? Seems to me that with tuition for domestic students about to skyrocket, the financial advantage of all those Scandianavians and Hong Kong students won;t be so clear cut anymore.

Comment

Half my fellow students at Birkbeck are from furrin parts. It means we all learn a hell of a lot more than if everyone was from the same country, and will make us better equipped to try and make a living in a global economy.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Do they really think Britain can be put in some sort of bubble free of influence from elsewhere, and is that really what they want?

Comment

Canada could see a bump in its overseas student population. There was a huge one after the US shut its doors following 9-11.

Comment

delicatemoth wrote:
                                  ... and is that really what they want?
                                  I suspect so.

Comment

I'm baffled: this still hasn't made the top 5 or 6 stories on the BBC's website.

I know the overall policy might have been previously hinted at, but that 'method of delivery' is an absolute outrage.

Comment

linus wrote:
                                      Canada could see a bump in its overseas student population. There was a huge one after the US shut its doors following 9-11.
                                      That's exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

Given that 70% of students in this town's two universities are Asian born, it might not make a whole lot of difference.

Comment

Working...
                                        X