2022: Nasty case of Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or Arabic speaker?

Though it is difficult to map the Arabic onto any of those.

Comment

Just wanted to say how much i enjoyed imp's blog article that he linked to on the last page.

Comment

I disagree, because I made the Spare Us the Qatar joke when this was first announced and I’m sticking by it.

But if I’m actually saying it, it rhymes with guitar.

Comment

I say it the Arabic way, because I'm pretentious (and because one of my best friends at uni was born there and told me how it was pronounced).

Comment

I bet calling it "Kwayter" would really annoy them so we should probably do that.

Comment

Q-atar, Q-anon, coincidence? Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                That's my douchebag test.

Call it "Qatar" as in "Guitar" = You're cool.
                Call it "Qatar" as in "Gutter" = You're less than cool, almost a douchebag.
                Call it "Qatar" as in "Cutter" = DOUCHEBAG
                The last one is the closest, in terms of tones and accent, but still not quite there, the last syllable should be an "ar" instead of an "er". Good background here:

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                Not sure I can agree with that: there were far more exciting encounters - particularly in the knockout stages - than in recent tournaments. The number of significant late goals scored was also greater than 2014, for example. (By contrast, only one game finished goalless - I'd be surprised if that could be said of any tournament since the sixties.)

England's progress certainly helped drive interest here in the UK, but the best games were obviously those featuring other nations.

The final - for once, worthy of its preceding tournament - was also the first to see both sides dish up more than one goal in over thirty years.
                I agree, it was the best WC in decades.

The next one is a wildcard, not sure what to expect. Accommodation and hotel space will be pretty limited with Qatar being such a small country, at the very least they really should have been forced to co-host with the UAE. It would still have been a vanity project, but the logistics would have been more reasonable.

Comment

I've heard the stadia will have Air Conditioning but haven't seen how that would work. Is it feasible?

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                    Q-atar, Q-anon, coincidence? Follow the white rabbit.
                    I think you mean 'Q-oincidence'.

Comment

Good use of the Q-uote function

Comment

Q-uim

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-08-2018, 21:09.

Comment

Comment

Infantino is barking, isn't he...

Comment

Like Qatar is likely to be Ok sharing it with "friends" in the region. What friends are those then?

Comment

Good God. It just gets worse.

Comment

Among many other massive obstacles, I don't see how they could squeeze it into that Nov-Dec timeframe. And it would destroy the tournament's credibility even more thoroughly than 48 teams in 2026, when at least they are sure they have stadia, climate and experience of hosting such events.

Comment

FIFA's insistence that football is above politics is either unwaveringly noble or mind-crushingly naive. Take your pick.

Comment

I prefer option 3 - breathtaking in its absolute cynicism.

Comment

FIFA drops plans for a 48-team tournament: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48373886

Comment

Just came to post that, I presume they're still expanding to 48 for 2026 though?

Comment

Looks like it. It's the direction of travel.

Comment

This was a stalking horse to normalise the idea for 2026

They knew from the outset that it was completely unworkable for 2022

Comment

Nothing about 2022 is really workable, and yet that hasn't stopped them.

Comment

They should give the bloody thing to Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X