Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022: Nasty case of Qatar

And now it is official.

Barca will feature both Unicef and Qatar Foundation logos on their shirts in the early years of the new deal.

Comment

In the light of that development, I would love it, just LOVE it, if the first professional footballer since Justin Fashanu to out himself as gay was a Barcelona player.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
        And now it is official.

Barca will feature both Unicef and Qatar Foundation logos on their shirts in the early years of the new deal.
        If you are going to sell out, you may as well sell out in style.

Comment

In the light of that development, I would love it, just LOVE it, if the first professional footballer since Justin Fashanu to out himself as gay was a Barcelona player.
          Tweet Puyol: "@cesc4official You know you're invited, we miss you my friend. Kisses ooooohhh!!!!"
          NTTAWTT, of course.

Comment

Winter is here,
            (and it's going on in twelve years...)

Comment

imp wrote:
              It'll be covered in the small print.

Comment

What's the betting that FIFA spin this as, "FIFPro support World Cup in the winter", rather than "FIFPro don't want players to die"?

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                  I assume Garcia on the Dec. 2 show. Marcotti got a bit testy at Declan Hill.
                  Both Marcotti and Hill had some truly bizzarre moments in that interview...Marcotti largely saying FIFA had no case to answetr and Hill demanding semi-clothed women in his vicinity while watching games.

There's some basic misunderstandings about Qatar and dress customs, I find. Western women aren't required to walk around with their heads covered as they are in Saudi Arabia. In fact, women walking around in a tanktop and shorts aren't actually doing anything illegal. They'll get a lot of dirty looks and people will probably think they're whore, but that's true in any Muslim country and nobody, for instance, made a big deal out of that when Morocco was bidding for the Cup.

The women I dealt with (both western and ex-pat Arab) when I was there all wore short-sleeved shirts and trousers and there doesn't seem to be any issue about that. This may cause problems for the many Brazilian female fans world cup TV producers are so fond of showcasing, but other than that I doubt it will be much of an issue.

The illegality of homosexuality is, I belive, going to be a much bigger issue. As the FIFA Charter states:

Discrimination of any kind against a country, private person or group of people on account of ethnic origin, gender, language, religion, politics or any other reason is strictly prohibited and punishable by suspension or expulsion.
                  We've got 12 years to fight over this one.

Comment

It was rather surreal, and the hosts just let them run with it (which is one of the things that makes their show great).

They had a progressive Saudi from a think tank in Washington on on a different show, who did a very good job of explaining just what Qatar was and how it differed from his home country in its interpretation of Whahabbist principles.

Comment

Toto Gramsciddu wrote:
                      Western women aren't required to walk around with their heads covered as they are in Saudi Arabia.
                      Are you 100% sure that they are required to do so in Saudi Arabia? Only one of my best friends claims they're not. And she's lived there for 28 years.

Comment

She'd know best, I guess, but that's always been my understanding. And I certainly know western women who've been hauled in by the Mutawe'en for not doing so.

But I think the code varies a bit by region. In Riyadh, all women wear the abaya and niqab (though you can certainly see them uncovered in certain offices and in higher-end restaurants where the Mutawe'en don't tread); in Jeddah, I think they are less observant about the niqab and abaya, though I had thought (perhaps wrongly) that a hijab was still de rigeur.

Comment

In public all females have to cover their hair. Compounds and some western run/owned white-collar businesses may get away with it internally. The KAUST university that the Saudis have built near Jeddah recently as a relaxed dress code and co-ed education as well.

Comment

Some Saudi-owned businesses/foundations allow it, too, provided the owners/patrons are high enough up the food chain that the Mutawe'en don't have the nerve to poke around. I've been in one such, though for obvious reasons I can't name it here.

Comment

Qataris are going to be in for one hell of a culture shock when the WC starts!!!
                              Weight of numbers will surely force them to relax some of their laws, though they may do it reluctantly.

Comment

He's at it again...

Comment

"When you play football you have to protect the main people - the players."
                                  Hahahaha, what a shocking slip of the tongue, he of course meant "the advertisers".

Comment

I think Blatter is just doing his best to wind up English people.

Now he is going to offer all other middle-easter countries the opportunity to host matches if Quatar wish, that's his Asian vote solidified there.

He is such a slick operator he does not even need to bribe to win the FIFA presidency.

Comment

they knew for a couple of years that they had to play the asian games in the middle of winter because of the heat in qatar.

Why didn't they mention that giving the world cup to qatar would involve moving it to mid winter? What was all this bullshit about airconditioned stadia?

Comment

Because then they mightn't have won.

Having the World Cup on in the middle of January will be a much bigger head-fuck than, for example, all the games starting in mid-morning in 2002.

Comment

Tactical Genius wrote:
                                          I think Blatter is just doing his best to wind up English people.
                                          Looks like he's just wound up an Irishman too. Collateral damage?

Comment

What was all this bullshit about airconditioned stadia?
                                            I know, it was clearly all ridiculous - if not fantastical, in fact - wasn't it.

A bit like the part about "reliable (and possibly even fit for humans) public transport links" in the English bid. Never saw David Beckham or indeed David Cameron on any of those videos, trying to join the queue next to the flush toilet in carriage C on a Virgin train to buy a stale beef and bread sandwich for £3.50, did we?

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:
                                              Having the World Cup on in the middle of January will be a much bigger head-fuck than, for example, all the games starting in mid-morning in 2002
                                              January seems sensible to me. The European leagues should be able to adjust with a bit of imagination. For example, England could run August-November then mid-Feb to the end of May.

Comment

Yes, but if they'd given it to anyone else, they wouldn't have had to move anything. most of the players who play in the world cup, and all of the good ones all play in leagues that will be affected by this. All so a tiny oil state can have the opportunity to host the world cup

Comment

I still don't think this is going to happen because the sponsors and television companies simply won't pay as much for a January tournament as a June one.

And that's before you get the clubs involved.

Comment

January tournament? Fine by us.

Signed,
                                                    MLS

Comment

Working...
                                                    X