Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, interesting podcasts, then...

Recent additions to my list of subscriptions:

Welcome to Night Vale - I subscribed recently because it was recommended by the Onion AV Club, but I've only listened to one episode so far. Sort of like News from Lake Wobegon from Praire Home Companion.

99% Invisible - Great podcast on design and the built environment in general.

Crate and Crowbar - Sort of the successor to the PC Gamer UK podcast, with added Tom Francis. Very good stuff if you like PC games.

Doug Loves Movies - This has been around forever but for some reason it always bounced off me before, but I'm really digging it now. Possibly because I'm more familiar with some of the guests, possibly because I hadn't heard Paul F Tompkins do Werner Herzog before.

The Flop House and How Did This Get Made? - comics, actors and writers lay into terrible films, and sometimes interview the people who made them.

Two Headed Nerd Cast - For whatever reason, there aren't many comics podcasts I can tolerate, but this is a good one.

The Dead Authors Podcast - Paul F Tompkins plays HG Wells, transporting dead authors into the present in his time machine to talk about their life and works.

Space Boffins - a space podcasts from the Naked Scientists people.

Sawbones - part of the Maximum Fun network, a silly-but-educational podcast on the history of quackery.

Comment

Cheers all.

Hobbes - I did quite like Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast, but after the excruciating finale with Stephen Merchant I decided I didn't actually like him (Herring) very much.

Comment

Some of the above plus I like the following Radio 4 ones:

More or less (looking at use and abuse of numbers in the media)

Tim Harford's pop-up series (lectures on interesting topics)

Soul music (stories connected with classic pieces of music)

Midweek (even though its mainly people plugging their books/art, there are still some interesting people on there some of the time)

Comment

Two on the world of the paranormal.

Radio Misterioso

Binnall Of America

Comment

A bump of the thread to mention Serial, a new podcast-only spinoff from This American Life. They're conceiving it as having seasons, with them telling just one story over numerous episodes. The current story is about the murder of a high school girl back in the 1990s, and her ex-boyfriend was found guilty of the crime. There have been only 3 episodes so far, so it's not too late to catch up.

It's really engrossing, very Rashomon-like.

Comment

Yeah, it's getting a lot of praise all over the web. I've subscribed, but I haven't started listening yet.

Comment

Might as well add my own new recommendation, or at least suggestion. Listeners to Doug Loves Movies and some other comedy/improv podcasts will be familiar with Daniel Van Kirk's amazing Mark Wahlberg persona. And now he's got his own podcast on the Earwolf network. It's basically The View, but with celebrity impressions/personas. I wasn't too impressed with the supporting cast on the first episode, but the new one features James Adomian's Jesse Ventura, which is always fun.

Comment

I bet that's the guy that does the Mark Wahlberg on Sklarbro Country, seeing as that's Earwolf also. He's pretty good.

Comment

Almost certainly, not least because they're using the Sklarbro Country logo for the podcast.

Comment

Toto Gramsciddu wrote: If you have 60 or so hours to spare, the History of Rome podcast is well worth a listen. The host has his irritating moments, but as an amateur effort, covering over 1000 years of history (we're into the 270s) in 130-odd episodes (to date), there's a lot to admire here.
                      Is that the one by Mike Duncan ?

I've been enjoying The History of England (David Crowther) and Kevin Stroud's excellent History of the English Language.

Another good one is When Diplomacy Fails : a weekly podcast covering the buildup to, break out of and consequences of various conflicts throughout history

If you must, there's also the History of the Crusades, but the presenter's delivery is quite aggravating.

Comment

I guess I should have clicked on the link.

The guy that did Matthew McConaughey on Sklarbro was hilarious. I remember an appearance when he was looking really gaunt from losing weight for Dallas Buyer's Club, and his voice had me in tears.

Comment

Hugh Fatbastard wrote:
                          Originally posted by Toto Gramsciddu
                          If you have 60 or so hours to spare, the History of Rome podcast is well worth a listen. The host has his irritating moments, but as an amateur effort, covering over 1000 years of history (we're into the 270s) in 130-odd episodes (to date), there's a lot to admire here.
                          Is that the one by Mike Duncan ?

I've been enjoying The History of England (David Crowther) and Kevin Stroud's excellent History of the English Language.

Another good one is When Diplomacy Fails : a weekly podcast covering the buildup to, break out of and consequences of various conflicts throughout history

If you must, there's also the History of the Crusades, but the presenter's delivery is quite aggravating.
                          I'm on a break from the History of England one, as my memory struggles with the gaps between episodes - so letting a few dozen build up before listening to them together.

If you want a wonderful subject ruined by the delivery, then the History of the Papacy podcast is a real culprit. I think it's pretty good, but the presentation makes you want to throttle the guy.

A bit of fluff maybe, but The Nerdist podcasts are worth looking into - usually 60-90 minute interviews, usually comedians and actors, often pretty obscure, but the occasional heavyweight. The biggest shock for me was that Tom Cruise of all people comes across quite well in a long interview - or at least, he's just a bit of a dick, rather than the horrendous person I expected him to be. That may be a sign I should start Dianetics though

Comment

I realize you're joking, but I can't recommend Going Clear (Lawrence Wright) highly enough. An incredible look into the innards of Scientology and its courting of Hollywood stars.

Comment

Neil MacGregor's History of Germany is outstanding

Comment

If you're a fan of MR James you might enjoy A Podcast to the Curious, despite an air of self-satisfaction about it. The London Review of Books has a podcast feed that occasionally puts talks up, although they're generally versions of articles that have originally been in the paper. The Alan Bennett ones benefit from his delivery, of course but not sure I can say the same for Mary Beard.
                                In a thin cricket podcast field, the ESPN Switch Hit podcast is usually pretty good. Their writer George Dobell is more likely criticise the ECB establishment than the 'embedded' writers on the dailies
                                I'm enjoying Serial so far. I'm interested to see how the investigations into the inept or corrupt public defender go. The buzz around it seems to me a bit Stuff-White-People-Like but that's an inevitability with the producers and platform, isn't it?

Comment

Incandenza wrote: A bump of the thread to mention Serial, a new podcast-only spinoff from This American Life. They're conceiving it as having seasons, with them telling just one story over numerous episodes. The current story is about the murder of a high school girl back in the 1990s, and her ex-boyfriend was found guilty of the crime. There have been only 3 episodes so far, so it's not too late to catch up.

It's really engrossing, very Rashomon-like.
                                  I'm going to have to check this out. This American Life radically altered the radio soundscape in the US by changing the voice (from news authority to everyday young person) and changing the stories (form so-called hard news to very quirky stories about everyday life that had bigger messages). I have a feeling they're running a little behind the TV trends with this one (thinking about American Horror or whatever it is called and True Detective) where stories change each season, but they are so good with their stories that this should be interesting.

Comment

The Hay literary festival has an archive of podcasts available. You can search by artist or genre.

Many of them are quite lively as they're trying to sell their books, so it's in their interest to make their session as fun as possible.

http://www.hayfestival.com/archive/i...etfilters=true

Comment

I downloaded the first 3 episodes of Serial last week and then listened to all 3 of them on a train journey on Sunday. I have to confess that by the end of that my attention was sort of drifting and I may have missed one or two details. But at the same time I'm concerned that having only one episode a week will make me forget what has been going on anyway. I hope not, as I enjoyed what I heard so far. But I feel the jury is still out (the jury in my own head that is) regarding whether I think the concept is a workable one.

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote: Neil MacGregor's History of Germany is outstanding
                                        Seconded.

I loved the episode about beer and sausages. There was something magical about the director of the British Museum talking about Frankfurters and Bratwurst whilst enjoying a glass of beer.

The one on forests was particularly good. The reasons why the Grimm fairy tales resonated in Germany and their enduring legacy. Apparently the German love of forests can be linked back to the famous Battle of Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD, when Arminius ('Hermann the German') defeated the Roman legions.

Comment

Off to see the Welcome to Night Vale live show in Islington tomorrow. The London dates seemed to go like hot cakes.

Comment

RIP Tom Magliozzi

A list of quirky yet loveable things about the USA that nobody outside knows about would have to include CarTalk, which was a Saturday morning radio show, but since I left I have accessed through podcasts. I haven;t listened for a while, and I think the brothers had basically retired, but I always enjoyed listening t it for reasons that I can;t really explain.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/11/03/car_talk_s_tom_magliozzi_dead_at_77_click_and_clac k_weren_t_just_funny_they.html?wpsrc="fol_tw"

Comment

Complications of Alzheimer's? That would sure explain why they hung up the mics a few years ago, then.

And yeah, they were great.

Comment

The economics of podcasting.

A lot of it is old hat to podcast listeners, but the CPM numbers are surprising to me.

Comment

And to me.

Don't most people fast forward through adverts?

Or is it more difficult to do that in a car?

I also would have appreciated more detail as to what kind of additional costs she's talking about.

Comment

I tend to listen to them on my iPod, synced through my car stereo. FF'ing is pretty much impossible. Lately I've been using my BlackBerry through the Aux input, which means I can FF much easier through 'em. But Marc Maron does his own rip and reads, so it's tough to skip them with any kind of accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X