So, interesting podcasts, then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really enjoying Philosophy Bites - free from iTunes or the PB website.

They're casual, fifteen minute chats with various philosophers/thinkers and hosts Nigel Warburton (Open University) and David Edmonds (Oxford).

Genuine philosophy buffs might find them a little light, but for the uneducated dabbler, they're great.

TED

Comment

A lot of philosophy courses from Berkeley are open and available online, the one on Heidegger (Phil. 185) is pretty popular.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=uc+berkeley+philosophy+podcasts&sourceid= ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7HPIC_en

Comment

BBC4 has a few good ones on iTunes. I liked their history of the world in 100 objects one.

Comment

If you have 60 or so hours to spare, the History of Rome podcast is well worth a listen. The host has his irritating moments, but as an amateur effort, covering over 1000 years of history (we're into the 270s) in 130-odd episodes (to date), there's a lot to admire here.

Comment

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is a podcast I enjoy a lot. The three podcasts on the eastern front during WWII are particularly good.

They're casual, fifteen minute chats with various philosophers/thinkers and hosts Nigel Warburton (Open University)
            When I first read that paragraph, I thought you'd written Nigel Winterburn.

Comment

Now that would be a good podcast series. The philosophy of retired left-backs. I’d quite like to hear the episode on French existential thought, Camus & Sartre, hosted by Julian Dicks.

Comment

The 'Audio' area of Archive.org has tons of stuff.

I can barely believe there's 7800+ items to do with the Grateful Dead up there, though! (And their presence there isn't a recommendation! ...Not from me, at least.)

Comment

My influence on this board hasn't half diminished.

Comment

evilC wrote:
                    TED
                    TED annoys me disproportionately.

Comment

I get that. TED topics are fascinating. But the way that people present at TED seems to have fallen into a standard 'TED style' that's really starting to grate.

Comment

Interesting point, Andy. Do you think there was a tipping point?

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                          Interesting point, Andy. Do you think there was a tipping point?
                          Blink and you missed it.

Comment

Pah.

Comment

You weren't glad...well...appreciative of his joke?

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                I get that. TED topics are fascinating. But the way that people present at TED seems to have fallen into a standard 'TED style' that's really starting to grate.
                                I also get annoyed with TED. After a while I start to wonder what the point is. Someone dared to criticize TED on a comment on Boing Boing, and everyone attacked him in outrage that someone could have anything bad to say about TED.

I wish I could like Radiolab--I really like their first few episodes--but god their production and editing style really annoys me.

Comment

I find Radiolab's subjects to be interesting enough that I can get over the production style, grating though it is.

I'm also a fan of Philosophy Bites, especially now that they've moved beyond necessarily shallow overviews of individual philosophers into discussions of particular questions.

Anyway, I won't recap my oft posted list of podcasts, but I will plug a new addition, Marcus de Sautoy's Brief History of Mathematics.

Comment

There is a good recent radiolab ep on goalkeepers. It might have been posted elsewhere on the forum but it`s worth putting up just in case:

http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2011/feb/08/radiolab-presents-loneliness-goalkeeper/

Comment

The most recent one, on symmetry (which actually turns out to be about asymmetry, but anyway) is excellent.

Comment

The definition of "interesting" is open, of course, but I do appreciate The Word for music and The Bugle for comedy.

Comment

Neil Tennant was on great form in the last Word podcast. The Danny Baker and Nick Lowe ones were also excellent.

Comment

I’d quite like to hear the episode on French existential thought, Camus & Sartre, hosted by Julian Dicks.
                                            Nice idea. But I doubt they've Evra spent any time studying, so they'd just churn out the usual Clichys.

Comment

Any more recent suggestions on interesting podcasts? I'm fairly new to podcasts and so far I'm listening to:

Guardian Football Weekly
                                              Radio 3 Late Junction Sessions
                                              Radio 4 Infinite Monkey Cage
                                              Radio 4 Kitchen Cabinet
                                              Radio 5 Danny Baker Show

I'm unsure on Welcome To Night Vale - some good moments, some bits just seem to drag. Anyone know if that gets better or grows on you?

Comment

The Bugle - very funny topical podcast with John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman
                                                Regular Features - surreal, sometimes puerile humour
                                                An Irishman Abroad - great long-form interviews with notable Irish people
                                                Second Captains - another football podcast (there's a sport one too) featuring Garcia from this board

Comment

Astronomy Cast
                                                  Recycled Electrons
                                                  Bugle
                                                  Anything by Richard Herring
                                                  DID
                                                  Life Scientific
                                                  Do the right thing
                                                  Pappys flat share slamdown

Comment

Working...
                                                  X