No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gritty Gritty Bang Bang is good, surely? And Gritallica?

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
      It was Brazilian coverage when compared with the rest of South America that struck me.
      Well it's not like there are that many people living on the Atlantic coast of South America outside Brazil, apart from Buenos Aires* which is pretty nicely lit up. Although I've zoomed in on Montevideo and there's no lighthouse shown there, which seems odd as I've been three times and could have sworn I'd seen one. Brazil-wise I'm actually slightly surprised there's not a bit more action on the Amazon, particularly around Manaus.

It's the really far-inland ones that caught my eye, particularly those very strung-out ones along the south of Siberia. But they're on navigable rivers, of course - a subject I was just reading about on Wikipedia a week or so ago (having only studied Russian history from the revolution onwards, really, I'd never really understood how all that massive amount of land out to the east came to be run from St. Petersburg and Moscow).

*Not exactly the Atlantic coast, of course, being on an estuary. But shipping-wise, it's the same thing.
      Last edited by Sam; 17-01-2018, 04:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Well it's not like there are that many people living on the Atlantic coast of South America outside Brazil, apart from Buenos Aires* which is pretty nicely lit up.
        You know that the existence of populated areas on the land is not the main driver of the need for a lighthouse right?

Comment

Nope, but Gritty Gritty Bang Bang is out and about.

Comment

Though Sir Andy Flurry is the winner, IMO.

Comment

Showing horse-drawn routes (in red) and mechanical traction routes (cable cars and electric lines, in blue), map of the Metropolitan Street Railways of Manhattan, 1899. Big version here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Well it's not like there are that many people living on the Atlantic coast of South America outside Brazil, apart from Buenos Aires* which is pretty nicely lit up. Although I've zoomed in on Montevideo and there's no lighthouse shown there, which seems odd as I've been three times and could have sworn I'd seen one. Brazil-wise I'm actually slightly surprised there's not a bit more action on the Amazon, particularly around Manaus.

It's the really far-inland ones that caught my eye, particularly those very strung-out ones along the south of Siberia. But they're on navigable rivers, of course - a subject I was just reading about on Wikipedia a week or so ago (having only studied Russian history from the revolution onwards, really, I'd never really understood how all that massive amount of land out to the east came to be run from St. Petersburg and Moscow).

*Not exactly the Atlantic coast, of course, being on an estuary. But shipping-wise, it's the same thing.
                Speaking of inland ones, what's happened to the one in Northampton?

Comment

It's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    Though Sir Andy Flurry is the winner, IMO.
                    Nice to see a nod in the direction of OTF's unimpressive Brazilian names thread, with Fred busily gritting the streets of Glasgow, there.

Comment

Smoking in Europe. The differences between male prevalence and female prevalence is very striking especially in Eastern Europe. 46% of men in Moldova smoke and only 8% of women

https://www.indy100.com/article/men-...cancer-8162391

Comment

Gorgeous relief map of the area covered by the Pacific Electric Railway ("largest electric railway system in the world"), 1920. Big version here.

Comment

This is cheating slightly, because it's data visualisation rather than cartography, but anyway: Wikipedia's lamest edit wars

Comment

That map of the Pacific Electric “Red Car”Network is glorious.

The history of Southern California would be demonstrably different had the network been preserved and modernised, rather than sacrificed to the automobile.

Comment

How so UA? I can get how the spatial development of the region would change, but it'd be fascinating to get an idea of the knock-on impact on history.

Comment

Well, there is of course no way to know for sure, but I tend to think that the region would have been less economically, ethnically and racially segregated and less given to Libertarian fantasies.

Comment

You can see the huge open expanses of farmland in that map. I imagine there'd be a ton more of that left, because if the ludicrous mass of highway wasn't built then building growth would have had to be more focused around centers that had working train links, rather than just the monstrous sprawl that now fills almost every inch of that map. And it's a really lovely map.

Comment

Two photomosaic maps devised to support the allied invasion of Italy, 1943. More info is here. A big version of the first one is here and the second is here.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                      Gorgeous relief map of the area covered by the Pacific Electric Railway ("largest electric railway system in the world"), 1920. Big version here.

Where's the diversion around Toontown?

Comment

Featuring a portrait of a weeping Thamesman, Frederick De Wit's map depicting London following the Great Fire of 1666. Big version here, more info here.

Comment

This is the map used by Felice Benuzzi during a 1943 attempt of three escaped Italian prisoners of war to reach the summit of Mount Kenya. Detained at P.O.W. Camp 354 near Nanyuki, Kenya, Felice from Trieste, together with two fellow-prisoners Dr. Giovanni ('Giuān') Balletto from Genova and Vincenzo ('Enzo') Barsotti from Lido di Camaiore, escaped in January 1943 and climbed Mt Kenya with improvised equipment and meagre rations, two of them reaching a point on the north face of the Petit Gendarme, at about 5000 metres, high up the NW ridge. After an eventful 18-day period on the mountain (24 January – 10 February), and to the astonishment of the British camp commandant, the three adventurers broke back into Camp 354. As reward for their exploit, they each received 28 days in solitary confinement, commuted to 7 days by the camp commandant in acknowledgement of their "sporting effort".

The book - No Picnic on Mount Kenya - is a mountaineering classic and read by a great deal of us living in Kenya. I've been up Mount Kenya to 5000m and it's no picnic, especially if you're using an Oxo tin as a map.
                                          Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 22-01-2018, 10:00.

Comment

What a story. I hadn't heard of that before. A quick Google confirms the answer to one question I had: that the purpose of escaping was in order to climb the mountain.

Comment

Map of Scott's southern journey on the Terra Nova Expedition, c1913.

Comment

VinylHub's Explorer aims to be an interactive map of every vinyl record shop in the world, here.

Comment

Map that is I think made by The Independent's Jon Stone, who says on Twitter here, "Instead of a bridge duplicating the Channel Tunnel, what about a high speed rail line linking Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin? The North Channel is 21km at its narrowest point, under half the length of the Channel Tunnel."

Comment

But, but it doesn't go anywhere near London...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X