No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hink East Kilbride and maybe Paisley are still chugging, and massive loss makers like the Maryhill line will never be electrified.
    I may be making the best of shit that fails/works, but when the Tyne & Wear metro regularly has power cuts/lines down/flooding, the Northern Rail trains chug right on through...

Comment

The website Chris's British Road Directory has a fascinating series of posts on the London Ringways, "a proposal to drive a dense network of motorways through and around the capital. It was a plan created by successive governments in London from the 1940s through to the 1970s that would have affected life in the capital in every conceivable way, changing the way London looked and functioned," here.

Road geeks may like to know that the aforementioned Chris also runs a separate site dedicated to motorways, for some reason called Pathetic Motorways, here.

And on a rather different subject, here's a beautiful map showing the locations of the lighthouses of New Zealand, 1900.

Last edited by Furtho; 11-01-2018, 08:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
        Road geeks may like to know that the aforementioned Chris also runs a separate site dedicated to motorways, for some reason called Pathetic Motorways
        That site is brilliant. I found out that the M62 was originally going to be called the M19 and may well have obliterated parts of the suburb of Huddersfield where I grew up, had the route not been altered.

Comment

All 9,866,539 buildings in the Netherlands, shaded according to year of construction.

Comment

Fucking hell. That's superb

Comment

That's great.

Comment

It's astonishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                  That site is brilliant. I found out that the M62 was originally going to be called the M19 and may well have obliterated parts of the suburb of Huddersfield where I grew up, had the route not been altered.

Indeed.

And the M62 was going to end near Manchester Airport, having curved around Manchester, and the Western extension to Liverpool be called something else.

Darlington gets its own special mention for the A66(M), although it's entirely in Yorkshire.

And when I used to drive, my favourite motorway, the M67 - which ends just in time to run into a humungous traffic jam around Mottram / Rossendale coming over from the Lancs / Derbyshire side.

Is that the site with the fictitious A2(M) on it, along the route of the A2 before it meets the M2?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    Is that the site with the fictitious A2(M) on it, along the route of the A2 before it meets the M2?
                    Yes it is.

Regarding the original M19/M62 plans: the route would have passed between Dewsbury and the villages of Grange Moor and Flockton, where locals are currently calling for a bypass to be built to prevent lorry drivers from taking a shortcut though narrow winding lanes to join the M1 at Barnsley.

Comment

Map showing the planned Northern Forest. More info here, huge version here.

Comment

This has been doing the round over the last few days -- a map demonstrating the point that "if tea spread to your country by sea, you call it 'tea'. If by land, you call it 'chai'. (this is because the ports of Fujian and Taiwan use the coastal pronunciation 'te', whereas Mandarin uses chá.)"

Comment

Road geeks may like to know that the aforementioned Chris also runs a separate site dedicated to motorways, for some reason called Pathetic Motorways, here.
                          That's an excellent site, and some of the comments are pure Partridge.

Comment

This has been doing the round over the last few days -- a map demonstrating the point that "if tea spread to your country by sea, you call it 'tea'. If by land, you call it 'chai'. (this is because the ports of Fujian and Taiwan use the coastal pronunciation 'te', whereas Mandarin uses chá.)"
                            That's one hell of a land journey to get to Lisbon, though....unless Macau uses the Mandarin (non-coastal!) pronunciation maybe... ah a quick google suggests it might!

Comment

Map of the lighthouses of the world. Big version here and someone's made a very nice zoomable version, here.

Comment

Is the dark red bit in the middle Amsterdam?

Comment

I think it might be the center of Amsterdam, surrounded by the rest of Amsterdam (not in dark red). If you zoom out to a level where you have an overview of the whole country, there is not one clearly discernable "dark red bit in the middle".

Comment

Anyone who runs onto rocks in Japan should be taken out and shot !

Comment

It was Brazilian coverage when compared with the rest of South America that struck me.

Comment

Or their lack in the persian gulf and malacca straits.

Comment

Most of the market saturation is in coastal areas. I see great untapped potential...

Comment

I think you'll find the Canadian Forces are ahead of you. CFB Wainwright seems to have one and it's hundreds of km from any body of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                              I think it might be the center of Amsterdam, surrounded by the rest of Amsterdam (not in dark red). If you zoom out to a level where you have an overview of the whole country, there is not one clearly discernable "dark red bit in the middle".
                                              It was in the middle of the frame when I first linked. Not so much in the middle of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

And when I used to drive, my favourite motorway, the M67 - which ends just in time to run into a humungous traffic jam around Mottram / Rossendale coming over from the Lancs / Derbyshire side.
                                                A tip, should you take up the wheel again. Approach the roundabout from the M67 in the right hand lane and do a complete circuit before coming off for Mottram.

And it's Longdendale but I'm sure you knew that.

Anyway, as you were.

Comment

You've probably all already seen this, as it's linked from the BBC. Here is a live update map of the location of the gritters on Scotland's trunk roads. And some of their more entertaining names.

Comment

Gritty McGritface?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X