No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might have missed this one, as I tend to dip in and out of the thread.

Map of GB with the place names as anagrams (takes a while to load)

Comment

Map of the entire internet, 1973. More info here.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
        I'm going to take some persuading that the Melchester map location is canon. The Twitter account is fun (including the other map) but I'm still not buying it.

A detailed perusal of hundreds of comics (with magnifying glass) will show the crowds to have the dress, eating habits and speech patterns of a sizeable city in the Midlands (vowels not flat enough for the North proper, but definitely not London). There's no way Melchester is an overgrown village along the Welsh borders.
        I can't for one moment imagine that Melchester is in Wales ... there's no way a Wesh club would have allowed Roy Race to treat Vic Guthrie, then captain of Wales, so shoddily for refusing to bow to the statue of George Armstrong.

Comment

Bit late with this, really, but it's still a nice idea. Map showing the flight paths of six aircraft that took off from Taipei in 2018, to bring their passengers back to 2017 in North America.

Comment

Map showing an attempt to identify the date of every international border. Huge version here, more info here.

Last edited by Furtho; 03-01-2018, 16:21.

Comment

That is awesome!

Comment

Chalk-drawn map of the US in a classroom in Ilford, 1910.

Comment

Map of the navigable inland waterways of Europe. Huge version here.

Comment

Huh. It had never occurred to me you could go all the way from the North Sea to the Black Sea in one unbroken journey. That would make a pretty cool trip.

Comment

Indeed, and then on to the Caspian Sea by the looks of things.

Comment

Very soon after we arrived in Italy, RAI showed a documentary on a fellow who kayaked from Milan to Venice along the Po-centered route indicated there. The bit in the Adriatic by the massive petrochemical plants of Porto Marghera was particularly striking.

Comment

Wonderful, again.

I knew about a couple of the connectors (Rhone/Rhine and Danube/Main), but not about the eastern European ones like the Don-Volga one, nor the way you can get from the Dniester to the Vistula for your return journey from the Black Sea, which is awesome.

Comment

Sign me up for the Great OTF Amsterdam to Sulina Canal Boat Trip!

Comment

Why are we being so cautious, people? North Sea -> Black Sea, then along the Don and turn left at Volgograd and from there head all the way up north to the White Sea. Hook over the top of Scandinavia and it’s plain sailing to the east coast port of your choice.

Comment

The current 'cost of living index'.

Comment

(accompanying blog post here)

Comment

Map of Glasgow Corporation Transport Services, c1934. Big version here, more info here.

Map of railways in Glasgow & district, 1951. Big version here.

Comment

Displayed on a postcard, a map of Neutral Moresnet, c1900. Never heard of this small pocket of land jointly administered by Belgium and Prussia? More info here.

Comment

Map emphasising the number of pubs and licensed grocers in the centre of Edinburgh, published by the Temperance movement ahead of an election to decide if the city centre was to go dry, 1923.

Comment

Those Glasgow maps are heartbreaking Furtho. It might be the closest Not London has to a decent rail network, but it once had Proper European Comprehensive integrated transport.

Comment

Great work Furtho. I'm just trying to work out which of those lines labelled 'Railways proposed to be electrified' in 1951 have been, like, actually electrified in 2017....

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transp...gain-1-4449540

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              That is awesome!
                                              It is.

Though, if I'm not mistaken, Australia and New Zealand were once considered part of the same general colony, weren't they?

Comment

Most of the city s-Bahnish lines are on the leccy aren’t they? Think East Kilbride and maybe Paisley are still chugging, and massive loss makers like the Maryhill line will never be electrified. C’mon tae fuck with EGIP, Network Rail/Scotrail. Still no sign of the new trains yet, outside testing.

Comment

This Pinterest is a treasure trove.
                                                  https://www.pinterest.com/robertamsl...-maps/?lp=true

Lately, I've found myself going down wiki rabbit holes about the relationships of different languages. I'm shit with language, but I still care.

This is a good one, but this is just the Indo-European languages.

It boggles the mind to think that the languages of India are connected to most European languages, but that Finnish is not only very different from Swedish, it's from a whole different chart/tree, of Uralic (I think that's right) languages. And yet Russian is Slavic, on the same Indo-European tree. And Hebrew is from a whole different tree too, but closer to Arabic. And yet Yiddish is part of the German tree. And English is Germanic, as is Scots, but Gaelic and Welsh are Celtic, so from a completely different branch, but physically smushed up against each other.

And trying to even remotely understand the languages of the Americas makes my brain hurt.
                                                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indige...f_the_Americas

And the cosmic ballet continues.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...anTree.svg.png

Comment

And how many New Halts were actually built and survived Beeching and the Bruce Report?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X