• Show
Clear All

Who likes looking at maps?

White collar crime hotspots.

Comment

Sam wrote:
      Originally posted by Levin
      'Vicia is a genus of about 140 species of flowering plants that are part of the legume family, and which are commonly known as vetches. Member species are native to Europe, North America, South America, Asia and Africa.'

Cultivated as silage or a fodder crop, apparently.

Coffee production can mean where it's packaged, roasted etc., which is often in Europe - I once read that by this measure Germany is the world's largest exporter of coffee. Although none of the green on that map is in Germany, so ... I'm not sure.

Comment

Have we had the Paleobiology Database Navigator yet? An interactive world map of where our beloved prankster god buried all the fossils.

Comment

Hatsusaburo Yoshida's map of Shikoku island and the Chugoku region of Honshu, Japan, 1927. Larger version here, more here.

Comment

In honour of the European summer solstice:

http://i.imgur.com/JZf8yfS.jpg

Comment

As a Not a Scientist, I don't understand that Solstice map at all. While the bulk of Scotland/Ireland are on the same sunset as Brittany/Low countries, most of England has earlier sunsets. Is this some weird tilt quirk?
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 21-06-2017, 22:41.

Comment

It's local time, so the UK (and Portugal) don't match their surroundings.

Comment

Ahh... now so obvious (like the change over in time zone for Central Europe next to France).

Comment

Well these are gorgeous

Comment

Those are lovely. Given the website appears to be in English (menus, title of that article and others in the sidebar, etc.) I am a bit confused about why the explanatory text is in French, though.

Comment

Tube maps adjusted to scale

Comment

That's excellent Gero.

Comment

Evidently, central France is too flat to interest Le Tour's organisers:

http://mobile.lemonde.fr/les-decodeu...showthread.php

Comment

Well, actually

many of the rarely-visited departements are among the less flat.

As the time progression indicates, the primary reason for the overall pattern is that there weren't adequate roads or other facilities in la France profonde before WWII (nor were there the current logistical assets that allow le Tour to end in one place and start the next day in another). The distribution post-1980 is rather more uniform, especially when one controls for the fact that the route more or less has to include high mountains and Paris.

Comment

Also, up until about 1950, the race would begin and end in Paris, and the route would follow the perimeter of the country. The route would barely change from one year to the next, indeed the main interest was whether they would go clockwise or anti. Cities like Brest, Dunkerque, Metz, Lille and Perpignan got tons of visits. On the other hand the Massif Central wasn't visited at all until as late as 1952.

Comment

This could only be more chilling if it showed the mortalities on each journey. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    More than 5,000 street maps of New York City from 1850 to 1950, organised by decade.

The drop off after the 1920's reflects the fact that many maps from after that period are still under copyright.
                                    As it turns out, I'm currently reading New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson, so I'm very interested in maps of New York at the moment. Have you read it?

Comment

Afraid not

Comment

You might like it. It's about what New York will be like if/when sea levels rise 50ft, especially the intertidal zone. It's not really dystopian, though. He's a left wing optimist.

You'd understand it better than I can because you can picture all the places he mentions. I always have to look at a map.

Comment

Will take a look at the library.

I've been to a couple of talks by people who are working on much more immediate dangers of that sort.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Will take a look at the library.

I've been to a couple of talks by people who are working on much more immediate dangers of that sort.

A few options here to look at models and projections.
                                            http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/maps

But this is the only one I've found that lets you see levels higher than about 10 ft
                                            http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/

Note that New Jersey stands to be changed radically even with a relatively small surge. Giant Stadium is in trouble.

In interviews, KSR said that 50 ft of sea rise is unlikely, but possible, based on some current research about how Antarctic ice could slide into the ocean in two big, relatively fast, surges. He chose that to set up some other commentary on the world financial system that he wants to get into. He also suggests that trying to create lots of seawalls and dams just makes the inevitable disaster that much worse when it happens. I suspect that is probably be true even if the sea-level rise is much lower, like Katrina and New Orleans.

My interest in this has also led me to read about Venice. It doesn't sound very nice, TBH. I'm sure it was a one point, but it seems that the locals have been unable to hold onto their city against a flotilla of cruise ships. Sounds like a sinking tourist trap. Still, I'll check it out if I ever get the chance.

Coming around to the thread's theme, this has also lead me to look at maps which suggest that my parents house will either be right on the waters edge or under it in 100-150 years. So when they go, hopefully my brother and his family will be ok with just selling it. That's hopefully won't be for several decades, but before the deluge comes. I suspect we'll get a good price for it. I don't sense that anyone down there is thinking too much about these vulnerabilities.

Comment

I love looking at the oldest Ordnance Survey maps available, where they still have such things as gallows marked on them.

Comment

In my Dad's old belongings I "inherited" from my brother recently there was a 1940s road map of India, pre-partition. He served there with the REME from 1945 until Partition (has a photo with Nehru and Mountbatten in it, and that day's paper). He's drawn in the new borders carefully which must make it pretty unusual.

Sadly the map is too big for me to photograph while keeping in focus.

Comment

See?

Comment

The most in focus one cuts an edge off. Probably why it's more in focus:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X