Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diable Rouge wrote: The decline of Mitteleuropa.
    That was surprisingly not as bad as I expected.

Comment

Mumpo wrote: Tasteful allusion to skin colour on that map.
      The Simpsons come from Northern Germany.

Comment

The maximum extent of the Napoleonic Empire, measured by départements.

Comment

The 'languages of Italy':
          -

Comment

By most linguistic accounts, Sardinian is virtually a separate language, and Venetian has been described as such, but it seems the boundary line between language and dialect is somewhat controversial.

Comment

I hadn't realised there were little pockets of Greek, Croatian and even Catalan speaking in Italy.

Comment

evilC wrote: I hadn't realised there were little pockets of Greek, Croatian and even Catalan speaking in Italy.
                Ryanair may have inadvertently threatened Catalan's survival by choosing Alghero as one of their Italian hubs.

Comment

I can attest to Venetian being unintelligible to speakers of standard Italian. A good friend grew up speaking it, and still recalls her struggles to learn standard Italian when she went to primary school. Unfortunately, it is in serious decline as the permanent population of the city continues to fall.

Ladin is a very interesting language spoken in a beautiful part of the Dolomites. Although it is called Ladino in Italian, it shouldn't be confused with the Judeo-Spanish Ladino, which has a completely different origin.

Comment

One of my favourite bands, In The Nursery, did an album featuring poems of various languages - some obscure - set to music. One of the was 'Biello Dumlo' *, a love poem in Friulan (from up near Slovenia). I imagine this is a bit like Venetian in being very different from standard Italian too (though I don't know, since I can't speak any form of Italian).

(* - I accept no responsibility for any historical or other irrelevance of the fan-made video!)

Comment

Live map of all the trains currently en route in the UK https://raildar.co.uk/

Comment

ad hoc wrote: Live map of all the trains currently en route in the UK https://raildar.co.uk/
                        Brilliant!

Comment

I'm sure that I'm going to sue ad hoc for getting me sacked...

Comment

Fifteen of the CIA's most intriguing declassified maps.

Comment

For the 'outdoors-y' U.S. citizen...

Comment

Will Ireland see an even greater British influx in coming years?

Comment

That is awesome (when it works).

Comment

Anyone for looking at a map about Astronomy pt.1

Anyone for looking at a map about Astronomy pt.2 (You need to click on the 'dotty' map on this one, in order to get the 'interactive' bit.)

I actually chanced across these whilst looking for some kind of app that mapped meteor observations from Earth. Sadly, it looks like that doesn't exist yet. (Unlike the excellent Myshake app for logging earthquakes and earth tremors.)

The nearest I could find in my very brief search were 'Meteor Shower Calendar', which seems useful, and the far more melodramatically-named 'Asteroid Alert' app, which has some pleasingly 80s-like 'arcade' graphics. It actually merely warns of near earth objects and solar storms (although I've already got the excellent Solaris Alpha for the latter.

I also came across this site, which is neither an app or a map, but is still pretty cool for logging meteor detections.

Comment

Here's a cheery one to start your weekend off. Use this map to find out what would be the effects of various different sizes of nuclear bombs on any city you feel like. https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Comment

I find these maps, showing where in the world certain crops are most farmed, fascinating. God, China produces a lot of food. What is vetch?

Edit: Damn it, not I'm not sure I trust them as they have coffee production in europe.

Lots of other cool maps on the same site decolonialatlas.wordpress.com

Comment

Levin wrote: I find these maps, showing where in the world certain crops are most farmed, fascinating. God, China produces a lot of food. What is vetch?
                                          'Vicia is a genus of about 140 species of flowering plants that are part of the legume family, and which are commonly known as vetches. Member species are native to Europe, North America, South America, Asia and Africa.'

Cultivated as silage or a fodder crop, apparently.

Coffee production can mean where it's packaged, roasted etc., which is often in Europe - I once read that by this measure Germany is the world's largest exporter of coffee. Although none of the green on that map is in Germany, so ... I'm not sure.

Comment

More than 5,000 street maps of New York City from 1850 to 1950, organised by decade.

The drop off after the 1920's reflects the fact that many maps from after that period are still under copyright.

Comment

Alaska?!! Has it become the latest Hipster gentrification project or something?

(edit: This *is* from 2015, but still... Alaska!)

Comment

My guess is that that's an anomaly from a very small sample. Because very few people in Alaska are going to live in apartments, the few that exist in the middle of Anchorage or Juneau are going to be very high priced.

Comment

It is largely meaningless to compile that data by state. Counties would be more meaningful.

Comment

SDR Jr has become a bit obsessed with this site in recent weeks http://antmaps.org/. I've bought OS maps for a summer trip to Snowdonia.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X