Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is almost too much to comprehend: a map of North American English dialects.

Comment

TMI

Comment

Compare and contrast with that graphic of the Napoleonic invasion of Russia on the other thread a few weeks back...

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

That's Edward Tufte's favorite graphic representation ever.

Comment

Ah, but would it work as a Pow--nah, mustn't be arsey.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                This is almost too much to comprehend: a map of North American English dialects.
                But are there really no regional accents north of the 49th, and it appears to suggest there are no Spanish-majority areas in California, Texas or Florida, which seems highly implausible, sad to see Cajun French appears to be extinct.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                  Diabetes in America. Just look how much it went up in 4 years.
                  Good gracious. Thanks for the link, Incadenza.

Comment

"An attempt to show London football supporters on a map" is here.

Comment

irishreddevil wrote:
                      Incandenza wrote:
                      But are there really no regional accents north of the 49th, and it appears to suggest there are no Spanish-majority areas in California, Texas or Florida, which seems highly implausible, sad to see Cajun French appears to be extinct.
                      I like the idea of the map, but I think the sampling is suspect. There are not many people who still speak Cajun French as a first language, but it's not dead. I've overheard it being spoken in Southern Louisiana.

Also, I have never noticed a difference in pronunciation of "on" in different parts of the Bay Area, as the map shows. Maybe I just haven't noticed, but it seems dubious.

Comment

Furtho wrote:
                        "An attempt to show London football supporters on a map" is here.
                        One, I see, that shows you where fans of "Tottenham Hotspurs" live.

Comment

It's a "working progress".

Comment

Apparently I have no interest in football.

Comment

So that's why you support Everton...

Comment

Where is Manchester United on that map, though?

Comment

There are some other interesting projects presented on this site, but this one caught my eye (description below).

http://www.telepathicwitness.com/geolocation01.htm

"Each morning we follow strangers through their Twitter updates, becoming intimately involved in their banal daily errands. We imagine ourselves as virtual flâneurs, exploring cities 140 characters at a time through the lives of others. Sometimes we follow these strangers for a day and other times for months, following the ups and downs of their posts to this public venue.

Using publicly available embedded geotag information in Twitter updates, we track the locations of users through their GPS coordinates and make a photograph to mark the location in the real world. Each of these photographs is taken on the site of the update and paired with the originating text.

We think of these photographs as historical monuments to small lived moments, selecting texts that reveal something about the personal nature of the users' lives or the national climate of the United States. It is also grounds the virtual reality of social networking data streams in their originating locations in the physical world while examining how the nature of one's physical space may influence online presence."

Comment

Over at Strange Maps, they're doing the London football thing, but also the Barassi Line.

Comment

Map of internet censorship (and other stuff) http://yuxiyou.net/open/

Comment

A map of the internet in 1972, here.

Comment

Somehow UCLA is northeast of Santa Barbara in that map.

Comment

Comment

A "sound map" of the city of Sergiyev Posad, Russia, is here.

"The map [which is an interactive version of the image below] consists of 12 city areas assigned with different colouring according to the month of the sound recording. Each area is represented by stereo field recordings featuring a guest related to that particular area."

Comment

Along similar lines (was this already posted?) a "smells map" of Manhattan.

Comment

I don't like looking at TEV's map up there. Not one bit.

Comment

I don't either, especially as I've lost the link.

[EDIT: wait a minute, it's come back.]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X