Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see that Turkey isn't in Europe, must have been drawn up by the EU.

Comment

Continuing the London underground-related theme, Oliver O'Brien's hypnotic animated map of Oyster card touch ins and outs on a typical weekday ("for stations where the in/out numbers are roughly equal at that time, the colour is white. Red stations indicate a strong flow into the network and green stations show a predominately outward flow") is on Youtube, here.

Comment

Can you guess how many US college sports teams are named after tigers of a specified colour? Or which breed of dog is the most popular team name? If you guessed 4 (the Tuskegee Golden Tigers, Brenau Golden Tigers, Lincoln Blue Tigers and the Morehouse, er, Maroon Tigers) and the bulldog, you can darn well go and test yourself some more on a whopping big mind map/infographic including 1100 or so different teams. Even if you had no idea, it's still kind of interesting to have a root around -- the graphic is here.

Comment

I hope this wasn't mentioned already: a map of North American dialects. With audio samples, too. Get ready to fritter away lots of time.

Comment

Heliotrope wrote: I hope this wasn't mentioned already: a map of North American dialects. With audio samples, too. Get ready to fritter away lots of time.
            That's a really interesting map, and I think it has been posted to OTF at some point, but in a different thread. It's great, though some of the boundary lines seem a bit weird, like the one that says "on" rhymes with "dawn" in San Francisco and the northern parts of the East Bay, but with "don" on the Peninsula and southern parts of the East Bay. But maybe I've just never picked up on the difference.

Comment

Maybe Amor or Flynnie will know better, but would a large geographic expanse like Canada really have just a single dialect and/or accent? Can't imagine a Newfie would talk and sound exactly the same as a BC native.

Comment

I'm not Canadian - native San Franciscan - but Canada absolutely does not have a single dialect and/or accent.

Forget Newfies, I can absolutely tell a Western Canadian from an Eastern Canadian, and can usually pick out who the Quebecer is amongst the Ontarians. That's among anglophones, obviously francophones are gonna stand out. And among francophones, Ontarians do not sound like people from Montreal, or the Estrie, or Quebec City.

By the way, I pronounce on "oawn".

I also cannot say stuff like asked, unless I try really hard. It's assed. He assed me a question.

Comment

I pronounce it awn, I guess. But yeah, it's hard to pronounce it "naturally" on cue.

Has this been posted here yet?: Radical Cartography.

Some interesting, as well as goofy, stuff.

Comment

Hmm...what if I say "Dawn" and "Don" exactly the same way?

Comment

Could get confusing if you have friends named Dawn and Don?

Comment

Flynnie wrote: That's among anglophones, obviously francophones are gonna stand out.
                        They're the ones saying things like "close the light" and "those car".

But yeah, there's about a million little regional 'sounds'. Hell, you can tell someone who grew up in Hamilton from one who grew up in Haliburton.

Comment

The American dialect map is fantastic (as a Pom in Sydney) and having just re-watched Fargo I went straight to Minnesota. To my layperson's ears, this shows that the guy clearing snow from his front drive in Fargo nailed it.

Beautiful accent.

Comment

I was just in Minneapolis last month for a conference—the first time I'd been to Minnesota—and could hardly believe my ears. They really talk like they do in Fargo! Oh yah, you betcha!

Comment

Income inequality along New York City subway lines.

Comment

Tracing the Movement of Dollar Bills in the US.

Comment

Was just about to post that, RobM. Very interesting.

Comment

Renart wrote: Was just about to post that, RobM. Very interesting.
                                    Aye, it's a good one.

Comment

The borders seem to match up roughly with regional accents, which makes sense of course.

Comment

Oh, that money map is fascinating.

For example, instinctively, I was surprised to see Arizona join California rather than the Four Corners Mormon Rockies agglomeration, because I feel it has more in common as a four corners state.

But a moments thought makes me realise that all the money in Arizona is in Phoenix and Tucson, and there are no real major roads north, so most of the traffic will be along I-8 and I-10 into California, so that's where the cash will move.

I'd say culturally Arizona belongs more with Utah, but it makes some sense that the cash finds it hard to move across the deserts and mountains to Utah and Colorado.

Similarly with the Vegas and Reno parts of Nevada: most of their traffic comes from LA and SF, I think, which will stop the cashing flowing eastwards.

Out on the east coast, because there's no "block", but basically a long continuous run of cities all down the I-95 corridor, it's no surprise that cash spent in NYC can be used as change for someone in Newark who then hands it down to Philly, Baltimore, DC, Charlotte and all the way down the coast. There is a sort of transit/geographical barrier in the Appalachians which will stop too many people heading from NYC to Buffalo or Philly to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and so on, so the cash will get trapped in the east.

Fascinating. Utterly fascinating.

Comment

An interactive map presenting state-by-state information about roadkill (collisions with deer, especially) is here.

Comment

South Carolina

An example

Comment

Europe 100 AD to date.

Comment

ha as an ex resident of Charleston that SC map is brilliant

Comment

1000 AD.

That is awesome! Could do with a year counter though (or a more obvious one if there was one and I missed it).

Comment

Yeah, that 1000AD thing is fantastic.

I'd need to watch it many times (and have a decent zoom) to see all the details. And it has a ton of detail that I've never seen before in a map like that, like the moving "boundaries" within Bosnia towards the end. And all the fractured Germanic elements of the Holy Roman Empire. My eye kept getting drawn to one region to watch how it plays out and then I lose everything that's happenening across the rest of Europe. Great work, whoever made that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X