• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who likes looking at maps?

evilC wrote:
    Haven't you heard?

Comment

Almost as chilling as the world nuclear explosions timeline.

Comment

The Middle East.

Comment

Stellar map of the internet, using traffic data up to the end of 2011.

Comment

Has this one been posted?

CARICATURE MAP OF EUROPE 1914

Comment

Has this one been mentioned yet? It's a map of London that gives the 15 most common surnames for each neighborhood. Looks like there are some Welsh neighborhoods where I could be pretty anonymous if I upped sticks and moved there.

Comment

How odd, after Kerry and Cork, my surname is most commonly-found in New Zealand, with the West Midlands a distant third.

Comment

Some crackers there, but I didn't like the Caricature Europe 1914 - game me the willies, reminded me of coiled up creatures in Alien.

Comment

There's a bunch of maps from the 1920s outlining contemporary plans to extend the Panhandle at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, here.

Comment

The geography and maps of American craft beer, here.

Comment

Nice Guardian article on mapping here.

Anyone seen the history of the world in 12 maps book promoted there: any good?

Comment

Hurricane Isaac visible on the wind map:

http://hint.fm/wind/

You can click to zoom into the New Orleans area.

Comment

Furtho wrote: There's a bunch of maps from the 1920s outlining contemporary plans to extend the Panhandle at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, here.
                            Reminds me of the Central Freeway, but purtier.

Comment

The LA Public Library's blog on the Huffington Post (?!) has an appreciation of the Sanborn Fire Insurance Atlases:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-los-angeles-public-library/sanborn-fire-insurance-atlases_b_1656648.html

Comment

Africa if all the various secession movements won independence

Comment

That's uncanny, when I saw that I thought to myself to post the same to this very thread. Check out the reference to East Sudan.

Comment

Map of vice in San Francisco's Chinatown in the 1880s:
                                    http://www.bigmapblog.com/2011/farwells-map-of-chinatown-in-san-francisco-1885/

Comment

It's interesting to note how many of the street names have been changed.

I had always assumed that Grant Avenue (the traditional main drag in Chinatown) had been named that soon after the Civil War and/or Grant's presidency.

But the map illustrates that it was called Dupont in the mid 1880s, and it turns out that it wasn't renamed until after the earthquake (when the entire area covered by the map burned and was then rebuilt).

Comment

Thanks for that; the original, or an expensive reprint anyway, is for sale at a maps shoppe on upper Dupont Gai, sort of across from Dupont Thai yes that's very cute, and i can barely even afford to walk through there never mind shop[pe]. But Italian-French is still there for ciabatta rolls, and the recent wine-and-cheese thing a block up lets me buy eighths of their truffle-cheese, both of which coupled with a 750ml stainless water-bottle full of $4 Chilean Carménère make for a nice afternoon.

Comment

I love the alleys. That's one of my favorite things about San Francisco. You pop into the alleys and you can all but see the little kids playing stickball or hop-scotch while momma hangs out the laundry on a line and the pot of chicken stew cooks on the gas stove.

Comment

I assumed that this thread was back up again because of this. Is there a link to it anywhere?

Comment

I quite like it, I have to say. I've a feeling it was linked to, but in case not, here it is.

Comment

I would like it unreservedly, but I couldn't bear the classic to be replaced.

Comment

Various maps from the 1874 Statistical Atlas of the United States are here; and from the 1970 National Atlas of the United States of America are here.

Comment

This is very nice- though better without sound
                                                    Animated ocean currents from Nasa data

Comment

Working...
                                                    X